If Unreal Warfare was pay-per-play, would you still p(l)ay it?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

If Unreal Warfare was pay-per-play, would you still p(l)ay it?

• Yes, a really good game is worth a monthly fee.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • I would like to, but I can't afford it.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • No, there are lots of other, free games out there, so why pay?

Votes: 28 68.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
I didn't know who you are, but Google is my friend and Google told me.

I hope you havn't violated any non-disclosure agreements with what you've just told about UW, because ...

YOU WILL BE QUOTED. :D

You have 2 minutes to edit or delete your post. ;)

WiLD2

W4NG
/me straps on his ride.

Thanks for this insight, N03L. That's what I needed, another update from someone who's been in close contact with the technology and people responsible for it :D

Unreal Warfare is undoubtedly going to be game of the year the way things are sounding now. I'm starting to see how things are shaping out.

Unreal 1-> Single Player
Unreal Tournament-> MultiPlayer

Unreal 2-> Single Player
Unreal Warfare-> Multiplayer

Checks and balances, right? I'll be happy as long as UW is not a sequel (if it's possible) to UT, the same way U2 is not a sequel to U1.

little red rooster

The Rooster is on the Prowl
Oct 14, 2001
barnyard
Visit site
Man you guys are killin me. I can hardly wait for Unreal2 and thats still 6 or 8 months away. Now we get the scoop on UW, and its probably years away. I cant stand it anymore. I want it now!!:D

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
that depends, there are nda's that doesn't allow you to talk about the company and or company's ideas for a certain amount of time but thats just being difficult ;)

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Originally posted by WiLD2

If anything, a Massive Multiplayer Online Game strengthens the community because the game IS a community. You're looking at the wrong aspect of the game, you're not supposed to be able to make mods for the game, you're supposed to go by the flow of the stories they've created.

thats the whole point of my post wild :)

i think the continuing popularity of the game(s) is because its NOT based on the flow of a story thats been created for you to follow... its NOT a static universe where theres no options (ie: you cant choose another server if you dont like the players, rules, options, gametype etc.)
the current unreal community is based on the atmosphere of various small communities created by different servers all over the world... each with their own ppl, set of rules, mods and personalites...
if that didnt exist, there wouldnt be much intrest, imnsho ;)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
But I think that it would be possible (and very cool) to have some sort of a linked world with stock arenas and lands with seamless (or near seamless) gateways to other servers running custom maps, mods, (lands) etc.

We saw an interesting portal idea from a third party mapper for UT. Something to help maintain the immersion.

If you can interact with other players on a verbal and combative level without ever leaving the game, it would be a major step forward for FPS. Yeah, I know UT has the built in IRC client, but imagine being able to "see" the players you are chatting with... and in a cool Unreal environment.

Lotsa possibilities....

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
yea theres lotsa possibilites... i think the main thing im worried about is the potential of the game becomming 'corporate' and run only by some gaming 'authority'... sure it might be big n bad n real cool at 1st, but itd be real boring after awhile...
as long as the capability of individuals to operate their own worlds (servers) and run them with the mods, options, features and customization they see fit... then it should be just snazzy!

itd be way cool if servers could link together and combine (somehow) their worlds, woohoo! the future is here... :)

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
:stupid:

also, if they decide to make it PPP they should make the game itself free, or very very cheap. if they'd make you pay $40 for the game and on top of that ask for a monthly fee i imagine lots of ppl (including me) would feel ripped off from the start. :/

XinderbocK

Sep 27, 2001
Los, California
Visit site
SAD day in gaming community if...

It would really be sad to see them make Unreal warfare a P-P-P. I think i would be shocked.. then mad.. then SAD... i really hope they dont do that... If they do that they lost themself a customer.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
CliffyB commented on MMO in this interview on GamingGroove

MM games are great but you really have to be willing to take a few risks if you're going to do one of those games. You need to make sure you have a great server architecture in place and programmers that can stay on top of any issues that may come up. You need someone to run servers for you and you need to have a great beta period or you're going to be in for a world of hurt.
Something else to keep in mind - if you're going to make people pay 10 bucks a month for your game then you'd better make damned sure you're offering something above and beyond what all other (free online) games are offering. That's why it would be tricky to make a MM FPS. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that if you're going to take a game that people are used to playing for free and suddenly try to charge for it they're going to reply with a hearty "**** you" at the retail counter. You've got to make sure you're offering TONS of reasons for the gamers to play the game on YOUR pay-per-play servers. What that motivation might be is up to the team and designer.
It's hard to interpret from this if Epic are developing an MMO game or not. I'd say yes, but not short term. (And UW is short term.) In any case they are very clear about the extremely tough requirements and taking a very careful approach.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
I doubt i would pay, especially as i have a poor internet connection.
I don't agree with paying to use a game after you've paid to buy it, you pay one or the other, not both. They're much better sticking to the same principal of UT, where anyone can run a server, anyone can join a server, all you have to do is buy the game CD, then you don't pay any more

Ðork

Dork online, since '99
Jun 19, 2001
Switzerland
It seems odd to me that pay-per-play means a monthly fee. Does it always mean that?

I would pay a real pay-per-play, as in 50¢ per hour online (for example), but I wouldn't pay a monthly fee of $10 (for example) because there are months where I might not manage more than 1 or 2 hours even if I wanted to.

XinderbocK

Sep 27, 2001
Los, California
Visit site
one step beyond :)

The thing that got me hooked to unreal games was UT, i saw the intro, and my jaw dropped, I played the tutorial and i am now in love with the ch8ick that is speakin and tellin me about jumpin ans strifin hmm i love her voice, i hope its not computer generated then i be in love with a computer *AGAIN*.
I really liked the music the maps the textures the gameplay the diff locations.. aww face was my favorite map at one point, but i have moved on to better and greater things :).

Status
Not open for further replies.