2010: The Year of The Corporations?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Wow! I am shocked beyond belief that another corporation has yet screwed the environment and a local town possibly for hundreds of years. Looking at it from a right wing perspective I guess it's good that they company didn't do any preventative measures to prevent this from happening. The bottom line always comes first and must be protected. :shake:

Read for yourself. It's pretty sad.

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
Until the economy turns around this will constantly happen. Corporations ALWAYS cut costs, even in the most important departments (safety) of their business. This, combined with using their right hands to jack off politicians, leads to these exact problems.

I can't honestly understand being Republican or Democrat anymore. The system is so painfully broken with no one willing to change or speak out. The Democrats can't even celebrate a minor success while the Republicans seem to press the placebo button for a food pellet.

Flying spaghetti monster bless America.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes, those wacky right wingers that don't think companies should have any safety protocols or take preventative measures at all. Good way to start a discussion about a human tragedy: bring partisan politics into it! :shake:

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Well, you need more info before you can start the blame game. Maybe the locals caused the flood so they could sue the company? Maybe the waste has been collecting due to political inaction or something like, it cannot be transported through my town or over this bridge. The whole not in my backyard scenario. The company should have had engineering studies and surveys made to see if that storage was actually safe. In any case it's likely a much more complex situation than just the result of greed. Greed is likely a big part of it, but politics and stupidity are usually a big part of the problem as well.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I'm going to go ahead and play the devil's advocate a little bit here. The company that built the pond, MAL Zrt, appears to be a fairly small local corporation. Website It is not inconceivable that something like this could happen to a small company without the expertise to build a containment pond to international standards and without the funds to hire a consulting company to do it for them, in a country where government oversight might not be the greatest either. Interestingly, the article does not mention what triggered the breakout - my guess would be heavy precipitation.

Was this caused by corporate greed? Maybe, in part. Was it caused by stupidity, human error, and the failure to design for extraordinary circumstances? Most likely that played an important role as well. At this point, not a ton of information is available.

Corporate greed is when you have a situation where a company repeatedly IGNORED safe practice because it would be more expensive, when they easily had the funds and damn well knew better, like the Exxon Valdez or BP oil spills.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
What has this got to do with politics? I spilled a glass of cranberry juice yesterday but it definitely wasn't Brian Cowen's fault.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Also, BBA, to be honest I find it kind of offensive that you're using this tragedy as a tenuously linked piece of evidence for your ongoing political argument. I mean seriously, what the **** does this have to do with the right wing in America?

In terms of concrete policy-related ideas I actually happen flamingly liberal, but I don't believe in arguing our cause in every random way possible.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
One step closer to having an actual fallout where Men rape Men, Women rape children, and sometimes even themselves to get a bite to eat. I on the other hand will be on my hillside with my AK-47 and my lazer sighted dogs waiting for any fool ignorant enough to try and steal from me.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Also, BBA, to be honest I find it kind of offensive that you're using this tragedy as a tenuously linked piece of evidence for your ongoing political argument. I mean seriously, what the **** does this have to do with the right wing in America?

In terms of concrete policy-related ideas I actually happen flamingly liberal, but I don't believe in arguing our cause in every random way possible.

Yeah, because other countries don't have parties and people that are conservative. I am sure nothing will come out about inspections being ignored etc. :rolleyes:

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
Yeah, because other countries don't have parties and people that are conservative. I am sure nothing will come out about inspections being ignored etc. :rolleyes:
My answer would've been "Everything." In lolotics it's always the other side that screws things up.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
BBA is right guys. We should just abandon all technology and live in the woods to ensure that such a tragedy can never occur again.

Better yet, according to BBA, all we have to do is abolish the Republican party to prevent any trajedy from ever happening again and the world will finally reach Utopia status! Glad he is here to show the world the path to a better life!