UT GotY or 2007?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

C4ASESINO

Mar 2, 2009
UT3 was totally improved since its launch ... at this stage it is much better than ut99 (almost 2 years after) only is better the translocator in ut99 and 2k.i. hehe. ut3 is 100% fun

Most of the issues with UT3 does not really aggravate me, despite less moddable than UT.

You can try both UT and UT3, and see if they interest you. Honestly, UT3, despite less game modes than UT/UT2k4, is still playable as UT (disregarding numerous complaints from people. (I could care less about graphics and my 7600 GT can still play UT3.)

*Why people still say UT99 instead of UT without the "99"?

EDIT: Crap! I forgot the last post date was from February (other than the two recent posters)!

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Well. I mean multiplayer wise. and are all the whines regarding UT3 true? because it kinda looks good. can I have some solid information about whats so wrong about the game?..

UT3 was released as a stillborn and proved to be an Epic Failure. Here's the boilerplate that I send to people as PM's on the Epic forums when someone asks about player counts or what happened to the game.

------------

Here's what you should know if you're new to Unreal Tournament. The original Unreal Tournament game (UT99 or UT-GOTY--game of the year edition) was fantastic and had a huge and very dedicated, fanatical fan base. Over ten thousand custom maps and mods were released for it.

Epic then released UT 2003 which proved to be a failure but fixed it up and improved it some and released a new version as UT 2004, which has proven to be a decent game though the movement and overall game play pales in comparison to the Original UT99. UT 2004's saving grace was its Onslaught (Warfare) game and Invasion-RPG games.

Sadly, Epic became infected with the consolitus virus and consolized UT3. The basic UT3 game play is decent, but everything that surrounds it is just god-awful.

The game was consolized, having a horrific user interface and server browser. Going from UT99 or UT 2004 to UT3 is like going from a Lexus to a Kia. Who wants to do that? The UT3 game play is pretty decent and UT99 clanners liked the gameplay of the Demo and were somewhat excited about it--it's just everything else that surrounds it--the (at release, the barely functional and pathetically featureless) server browser, the (consolized, clunky and slow) user interface, the lack of customization options, the awful map vote menu, the game's clumsy handling of custom content auto-downloading, etc., that's messed up and ended up killing the game.

UT3 was released as a stillborn. If you're brand new to the UT series, I suggest you buy UT 2004. Lots of folks still play that. To get a sense of what got the series going in the first place, I suggest getting the Original Unreal Tournament (UT99 or UT-GOTY). UT99 had the best game play of all three versions.

------------------

Here's what happened with UT3... Basically, the PC version of the game ended up feeling consolized and the game was released as a buggy beta when it needed much more polishing.

When the beta demo was released last year in October a number of hardcore UT99 fans who'd rejected the UT 2004 floaty-dodgy hitscan style liked the UT3 game play and were enthusiastic about it. However, when they found out that the retail release of UT3 = buggy beta demo they lost interest.

When UT3 was released the server browser barely worked and you couldn't even add Favorites! Basically, the game had been consolized--the user interface was clunky and slow and you have to wait to load the main menu. (Why the **** should anyone have to wait to load the main menu? It should pop up instantaneously when summoned.)

The list of what's wrong with UT3 is very long, but to sum it up--the game was consolized. The user interface was horrific and the server browser was featureless and non-fuctional and the game offered few customization options. Going from UT 2004 or UT99 to UT3 is like going from a loaded Lexus to a stripped down Kia. Also, the way content is organized in the folders is an abomination.

The UT3 game play itself isn't too bad and the player movement feels very good, which is why it's such a shame that the consolization of everything that surrounds the game play resulted in the game's being a stillborn. For people who want to play UT I recommend playing UT99 CTF pug matches, which are still going strong or just playing UT 2004 Onslaught. I guess UT3 Warfare might be viable and I can always seem to find at least one populated server online and of course they'll always be a few populated servers for DM, but overall I have more fun playing UT 2004's Onslaught game.

Hopefully Epic will take the avalanche of criticism it received for UT3 to heart and release a real, bona fide UT99-2 designed for the PC and made to feel like a polished PC game. It would be great if UT3 could get the UT 2003 ----> UT 2004 treatment.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Screw UT3. People in here saying it's unfairly judged because of bias, ect. are just wrong. It's just a crap game.

I gave the game plenty of chances. I played the demo for a while before the game came out and it was full of fail, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and got the game, collectors edition no less. It was still a miserable experience but I kept trying to find the fun in the game but eventually had to give up after a month.

UT99 is nothing like that, it's just instant fun, even just playing bot matches. Just go with that. ;)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
With another one of your time-consuming, useless tl,dr posts.

I honestly choose both. I prefer UT3 for MP games, much more balanced and better gameplay. I only have UT1 to play the old SP stuff, some nice maps and other crap.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I'll agree the "everything else" is what killed the game. The gameplay is fine, but at launch, there were plenty of things that made you wonder "Why the **** isn't this in the game?"

It's a lot better now for the most part, but it's 19 months too late.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
UT1 is better for a lot of reasons, but UT3 is an excellent game.

UT3 for the PC can be had for cheap. Figure out how ot fire up the demo and give it a try...if you cant afford 10$ or wahtever it is.

UT1 didnt have nearly as many ****heads as any recent game. The community was far better....the editor was easy to use...and not so hard to reach the standard quality...So the content out there is very good as far as UT1 standards go. Players today arent even that big of dickheads.

In UT3, majority of custom levels...less half of the MSU levels, are utter crap visually. and by that i mean...they are boxy levels. WHich isnt so bad, but the custom servers run them. VCTF is notorious for this.

Pick up both, you wont be disappointed.

Unreal Anthology has Unreal 1(not compatible online with servers unless you download the fix), Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 1, Unreal Tournament 2k4. Ive picked up copies for $0-$5.

Ill ship you one out for free if you give me your address.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
The reason why UT3 sucks, is because they tried to make it like Halo. They saw Halo's success and wanted a game with a similar futuristic theme and consol-like feel with the whole otherwordly theme and vehicles and junk. It was MARKETERS who designed this game not game developers but the result is not what UT loyals wanted. The pickups being all holographic and **** is just retarded it makes it even less realistic. All the maps are these stupid big complex arbitrary structures on extraterrestrial planets, who the hell is going to identify with that... there are no more AS-Overlord or AS-Hispeed type maps that have actual relevance to anything we as humans know from earth.

In addition you have much less control over everything, its less easily customizable, the UI sucks, it just seems like they assumed we were all stupid kids who don't know how to do anything so they made the game all idiot-friendly. Going from UT99 to UT3 is like going from a manual transmission to an automatic. Yuck!

C4ASESINO

Mar 2, 2009
silentkoala silence. you know nothing of history unreal? whole saga is futuristic and alien design has always had the same industrial line. this is not cod or camper strike. Finally ut2k4and ut UT3 is better than ut99(grafics and fluid movement). In my opinion it's more fun that UT3 no adrenaline (noob coment hehe)
ut99 was more successful that he had no competitors, but at this time There are hundreds of fps.
everyone defends what he likes and has many reasons to justify. play all and decide (if you do not understand anything, because I do not speak English and put random letters)hehe:deadhorse:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
silentkoala silence. you know nothing of history unreal? whole saga is futuristic and alien design has always had the same industrial line. this is not cod or camper strike.

True. Talking about retail stuff... I honestly see the UT3 themes to have more personality. UT1 was mostly about industrial here and industrial that. Generic as hell. Even the weapons looked boring. At least it was helped by the pre-existing Unreal 1 texture sets that are still unmatched.

Most of the Koala's complains regarding vehicles and items are about stuff already appeared in UT2k4. Vehicles have been always so-so (Necris vehicles are something realy nice to use though), but I really prefer the holographic pickups over the semi-visible items of UT1 (and recent custom maps have those).
UT1 CMP2 has those UT3099 pickups, and the game feels so much better now with the armor system and powerups.

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
All the maps are these stupid big complex arbitrary structures on extraterrestrial planets, who the hell is going to identify with that... there are no more AS-Overlord or AS-Hispeed type maps that have actual relevance to anything we as humans know from earth.

I agree with this, part of the charm of UT was that it was clearly a grim, dystopic view of our future. While UT3 seems very sci-fi stereotypical, with nothing to bring it down to earth, if you'll pardon the pun.