Anti-aggression mutator

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Forgive me if this have been brought up recently.

To make the game more strategic I suggest that whenever you get killed in combat you lose a frag. This will only make a difference in deathmatch and team deathmatch but none the less.

As the game is now whoever engages in a fight you have a good chance to score a point. With the other rules you better pick the kills you can score more safely, since attacking with an insignificant edge will be wasting time respawning and collecting new weapons.

Perhaps there is a mutator like this already? (Links please.)

How do you think this modification will impact the gameplay? Will it be better or worse?

Pser

Jan 29, 2008
this game needs more aggression, not less. When you die youre pretty much very disadvantaged already. No weapons, no life, no powerups. And the enemy is coming. And the time is running.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Such a scoring system might be ok in regular free-for-all DM, but it would be redundant in TDM, which already has a penalty for getting killed: the other team gains a point.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Plus, with how the servers are all over-crowded, it would really suck to play, imo. With CTF and War, you would have ppl camping like crazy too.

It would be an interesting mutator, but I don't think I would like playing it much.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I suggest the following for team deathmatch. If the leading team does so with more than or equal to 10 frags the other team won't suffer penalties for being killed. Likewise in regular deathmatch if the fragger have a lead of 10 frags or more than the fragged there won't be a penalty frag. This will balance the game.

Another interesting mutator would be a free weapon on respawn, weapon of your own choice or a random one, given to you with basic ammo.

To force people playing more and waiting strategically less, an anti-defensive mutator as well. Perhaps a radar, telling everyone where the campers are or the regular do damage to them routine.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I could see this working with a semi-realism mod, where player movement is much slower, weapons more powerfull but fidly, and maps provide cover, but tossing it into vanilla UT gameplay and weapons.. i just dont see it, vanilla UT DM just doesen't lend itself to a slower and more tactic pace, nor does the map design.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Ummz, I think losing a frag is the penalty for killing yourself :p

Sounds like another kill/death ratio thing to me which I dont think covers the actual skill of a person playing. Like say ending a spree for eg, it might take a fair bit to bring down a player who is really good where you only get 1 frag and cost you 3 deaths. Where its only cost that better player 1 death so you cant lose if you are good enough.

I dont think artificial handicaps work too well but I could see this idea working somewhat for equally skilled players :cool:

DocB

Where does it hurt?
Apr 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
This may or may not make sense in DM but I can not see it in WAR since K/D ratio has far less meaning v nodes destroyed, nodes built, core damage and core kills. In fact the last thing you want to do in WAR is get involved in a face off with someone a mile away from your next objective. I laugh every time I get caught at a node that is not the objective and have 3 or 4 guys chasing me around rather than running away to the real objective... that means 3 or 4 more people my team mates do not have to deal with immediately.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
Yeah, you lose a frag when you commit suicide, and when you get fragged the enemy gets one point.

This is one of the things that should never change in my opinion. It is one of the key old school game play elements which define UT3. It makes the game more chaotic, more aggressive, and makes sure people keep moving.

DocB

Where does it hurt?
Apr 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Anti-Aggression Mutator? Is that when you get too many frags in a certain period of time you are forced to go to summer camp and sit around a camp fire singing Kumbaya for 15 minutes? Wasn't sure. Just thought I'd ask.

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
Just a quick note: there is only one real way your first suggestion would affect TDM, and that is when suicides are taken into account. As it is, 1 kill and 1 suicide have equal weight. In your suggestion, suicides matter less. This makes little difference to gameplay, except that it actually makes aggression more rewarded, by making kamikaze tactics viable. Currently, you kill yourself and your opponent, it's neutral. In your suggested system, your team would still net 1 point over the enemies.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Forgive me if this have been brought up recently.

To make the game more strategic I suggest that whenever you get killed in combat you lose a frag. This will only make a difference in deathmatch and team deathmatch but none the less.

As the game is now whoever engages in a fight you have a good chance to score a point. With the other rules you better pick the kills you can score more safely, since attacking with an insignificant edge will be wasting time respawning and collecting new weapons.

Perhaps there is a mutator like this already? (Links please.)

How do you think this modification will impact the gameplay? Will it be better or worse?

Might as well just bring back the shield gun, the 100% dominant hitscan and and the peek and run game.

Shut outs would turn in to -10 - 40