UnrealTournament Extension Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
wow.WM i knew you were a talented guy but you surprise me m8.
very good job on the v-launcher.:)

hey shadow..your thread is the main attraction atm.and it brings nice
other gifts.hehe:)

you guys keep ut immortal.ty.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
A brilliant idea Shadow! As OldSkool adds Unreal 1 weapons, we would have a full pack of Unreal Weapons! Then added to Arena Match mod it would rule - one time you play with Eightball gun, the second - RocketLauncher from U1:RtNP, the third - Rocket Launcher UT1, the fourth - Shark from U2, the fifth - UT2 Rocket Launcher!
The pack would certainly help. For example, the Shark Rocket Launcher has complex explosions and stuff like that. And some modelling help would be appreciated as well.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
One more question - how will the pack help the weapons? I know about the advanced projectiles, but anything else? I mean, I have no idea on what I should do now so I wouldn't need to remake the weapons after the pack is released. So what should I do now and what should I leave until the pack is released?

paradigm

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
will this work online with other copies of unreal tournament? Or is this only for extension version vs extension version

FXD|Shadow

Mad Man, really
Currently I'm finishing the Particle Engines. There's still much left to finish, still some Physics, much Render Stuff, heavy fixing, of course: everybody's darling - replication/network code and so on. I finished a lot of stuff concerning the Particle Engines. I also managed to code a second Projector System. It has the ability to draw Decals/Projections that can fade, have (advanced) spin abilities, other texture styles than only STY_Modulated, the filtering is changeable and much more. Go to "A Look at the Projector Systems" at the official SDK Forums (UT99.org) for more information.
I'm already thinking about Beta Testing..
And again I have no pics, just words ov true lies, time to build some Tech Demo Maps..
Thanks for your interest again.

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Can't you just add the links here... I dont want to go and subscribe to some site that wont last just to see what can be seen here. Besides, this forums has way more people than that site so, I think of it as the main one.

FXD|Shadow

Mad Man, really
//Copied from UT99.org:

I'm almost finished with both Projector Systems and I just thought about to provide you with detailed information and (later on) pictures about it.
Well the word is in plural form.. that means you'll have more than 1 Projector Instances available.
Both use mostly the same way to project a texture on a surface but heavily differ in the way the material is rendered on the surface. Advantages/Disadvantages of both Projectors are compared to standard Decals. Here we go...

PlaneProjector

Overview

The PlaneProjector traces forward in max. MaxTraceDistance units (a variable in both projectors) until he hits something (Actor or BSP) than he checks the SurfaceLocation and it's Normal (thx to the great Trace-Function!) and places a PlaneSheet right where he hit something. You are able to modify that Plane by changing it's Texture, Brightness, TextureStyle, Scaling and so on. A great benefit compared to standard decals: Projected Textures of this Projector may fade or change in texture style (not STY_Modulated anymore).

Parent Class: xtProjectorSystems
Path: Actor -> xtRootActor -> xtProjectorSystems -> xtPlaneProjector
Known Subclasses: DynamicPlaneProjector, ProcPlaneProjector, ScriptedPlaneProjector
Icon:

S_xtProjector.jpg

Properties:

Advantages
- The projected Material may fade dynamicly or change brightness instantly
- The projected Material may scale dynamicly or change size instantly
- The Texture Style (Normal, Masked, Translucent and Modulated) is freely adjustable, Standard Decals only Support STY_Modulated
- The size of the Projection may be affected by Distance between Projector and Surface (simulating Light/Shadow Effects)
- The projected Material is able to be an EnvironmentMap
- You can change it's Filtering
- It's less performance dependent than Standard Decals (yes!)
- It's always correctly adapting to the current Surface Normal
- You may change it's ForwardDrawing compared to the Surface (Distance: Surface <--> Projection)
- The Projection can be spinned (Roll-Rotation)
- The Projection can be lit dynamicly
- The Projection is always directional by the Projector and it's complete Rotation
- The Projector itself can be moved, rotated, attached, controlled and triggered (in subclasses)

Disadvantages
- It's unrecommended for multiple Surfaces, all in all it's just a simple Plane layered onto the Surface
- It'll be clipped on angled Surfaces
- It doesn't actually smoothly project on multiple Surfaces of a Mesh, Sheet or Particle

DecalProjector

Overview

The standard Projector traces forward in max. MaxTraceDistance units (a variable in both projectors) until he hits something (Actor or BSP) than he checks the SurfaceLocation, the Texture and it's Normal (thx to the great Trace-Function and the Texture Reading Function of Decals) and blends a Decal right where he hit something. You are able to modify that Decal by changing it's Texture, Scaling, Filtering and so on. A great benefit compared to standard decals: Projected Textures of this Projector can be rotated, dynamicly scaled, attached etc.

Parent Class: xtProjector
Path: Actor -> xtRootActor -> xtProjectorSystems -> xtProjector
Known Subclasses: DynamicProjector, ProcProjector, FluidProjector, ScriptedProjector
Icon:

S_xtProjector.jpg

Properties:

Advantages
- The projected Material may scale dynamicly or change size instantly
- The size of the Projection may be affected by Distance between Projector and Surface (simulating Light/Shadow Effects)
- The projected Material is able to be an EnvironmentMap
- You can change it's Filtering
- It's always correctly adapting to the current Surface Normal
- The Projection is always directional by the Projector and it's complete Rotation
- It's able to smoothly project a Texture onto multiple Surfaces even slopped or angled ones
- The Projector itself can be moved, attached, controlled and triggered (in subclasses)

Disadvantages
- It's unrecommended for multiple Surfaces that are angled in sharp angles over 60 °
- It doesn't actually smoothly project on multiple Surfaces of a Mesh, Sheet or Particle
- It doesn't support multiple Texture Styles
- It can't fade/change brightness

Misc Benefits of both Systems
- You get the current traced Surface Location
- You get the current traced Surface Normal
- You get the current traced Surface Texture
- You get the current traced Object (Levelinfo if hits BSP)
- Both Projectors have a Trace-Debugging System and are able to draw Visible Traces and
Surface Normals right were it should expected to be, it's just for debugging purposes

Side Note: Projectors might be implemented by Standard without adding it by hand again. For example every BeamEmitter has it's own ready-to-use Projector.

lycheeliang

TEH Unreal Lychee
Jan 21, 2008
Earth
hmm one thing...is this pack going to be workable on lower-end machines? The various particle emitter engine and such seem to make it very graphically intensive...can old p3-4 comps and such handle it with no hit on fps?

War_Master

May 27, 2005
These Emitters are actually more expensive than one of the default effects or any other system I've seen, since they run more code. It will have to be hard coded in the UT Engine in order for them to work like the ones in UT2k4 for the game to perform well. The only advantage I see is that it has a configuration window in the Mod menu if you have the .int file installed where you can control the spawn amount of the effects that allow it which in this case it has to be done by the modder/mapper himself. It also depends on how heavy to want the effect to be spawned and it will take some good timing and testing until an amount is proper for the game's requirements so that it is user friendly.

I calculate that you will need about 3 times the minimum requirements of UT to run these effects so that your fps is decent enough. I know that because I have twice the requirements and my PC lags awful with these lol. And let's not say the ones added in maps, I know they only spawn when a player is visible and yet the map performs really low as if it was spawning the effect the whole time... I wonder why's that!... bad code somewhere on single player mode?

lycheeliang

TEH Unreal Lychee
Jan 21, 2008
Earth
oh...im worry this pack may not be suitable due to my comp not meeting the requirements...mine only hits the recommended rq for ut99 lol

FXD|Shadow

Mad Man, really
Is this extension pack going to be compatable with custom mods, maps, and mutators?
yes, otherwise it would be senseless

hmm one thing...is this pack going to be workable on lower-end machines? The various particle emitter engine and such seem to make it very graphically intensive...can old p3-4 comps and such handle it with no hit on fps?
most of the NEW optimized code was tested on the following machine:
P4M - 2,6 GHZ
256 MB DDR1 Ram
GeforceFX Go5200
80 GB HDD

And it worked fine, you should know that the new Particle Systems have around 20 different performance settings.. I already mentioned that

These Emitters are actually more expensive than one of the default effects or any other system I've seen, since they run more code. It will have to be hard coded in the UT Engine in order for them to work like the ones in UT2k4 for the game to perform well. The only advantage I see is that it has a configuration window in the Mod menu if you have the .int file installed where you can control the spawn amount of the effects that allow it which in this case it has to be done by the modder/mapper himself. It also depends on how heavy to want the effect to be spawned and it will take some good timing and testing until an amount is proper for the game's requirements so that it is user friendly.

I calculate that you will need about 3 times the minimum requirements of UT to run these effects so that your fps is decent enough. I know that because I have twice the requirements and my PC lags awful with these lol. And let's not say the ones added in maps, I know they only spawn when a player is visible and yet the map performs really low as if it was spawning the effect the whole time... I wonder why's that!... bad code somewhere on single player mode?
sure they are, but 2 particle systems are either semi-actor based or non-actor based particle systems, which makes it much more effective, trust me, additionally all other particle systems have many performance settings
you're also judging it by the standards of the demo, the demo sucked and was kinda senseless, because a lot of stuff was unfinished, unoptimized and bugy, but I was "under pressure" to finally show something until no one would believe me, at last many were disappointed about these facts (unfinished, unoptimized etc.), currently I'm thinking about to code a 6th particle engine which will be c++ based using opengl magick

oh...im worry this pack may not be suitable due to my comp not meeting the requirements...mine only hits the recommended rq for ut99 lol
you don't have to worry, it'll be tested on a non-highend machine

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Fxd|Shadow, that signature is too big. You'll need to trim it down by deleting one pic, or resizing it. Max size is 500x160.

Thank you =) Maybe you could use both pics as a rotating sig/gif or so?

Last edited: