War On Drugs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
SWAT team breaks into home, fires seven rounds at family's pit bull and corgi (?!) as a seven-year-old looks on.

They found a "small amount" of marijuana, enough for a misdemeanor charge. The parents were then charged with child endangerment.

So smoking pot = "child endangerment." Storming a home with guns, then firing bullets into the family pets as a child looks on = necessary police procedures to ensure everyone's safety.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/05/05/video-of-swat-raid-on-missouri

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I watched the video the other day. It just provokes the usual police hating hippie crap. :nag: I'm not saying what happened was right, I'm just saying a lot of people are really good at hating the police and being as corrupt as the police force. It's been following this story everywhere it goes.

I'm also a former Corgi owner. :crysmile:

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
So nobody here thinks that the parents of the child might have been up to something dodgy enough to make the Police concerned enough to risk storming in with their size 10's and MP5's?

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Nothing to do with human law and politics makes sense and it's funny how schmoes are surprised at stories like this.

**** YOU PLANTS!

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So nobody here thinks that the parents of the child might have been up to something dodgy enough to make the Police concerned enough to risk storming in with their size 10's and MP5's?

Thats what I was thinking as well. Why in the blue hell would you need a swat team to take care of a pot smoker? Also I didn't hear any gunfire, were they using suppressed weapons?

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
no surprise it's in Missouri; one of the most backward f*cking states in the union in terms of public policy.
if I had to bet that one state will hold out and be the very last to decriminalize, my money would be on Missouri.

downtown St. Louis is still a great place to get good weed though.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I watched the video the other day. It just provokes the usual police hating hippie crap. :nag:
Original footage of what cops do provokes police hating? Would you please think about what that means for a moment?

What I know about police work over here suggests this can happen to absolutely anyone, including Jesus.

*edit*
Thats what I was thinking as well. Why in the blue hell would you need a swat team to take care of a pot smoker? Also I didn't hear any gunfire, were they using suppressed weapons?
Same response as above. Plus how can you miss the shots at 0:49 and 1:04?

Last edited:

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
www.nsa.gov

The fatal shooting of a dog during a Columbia Police SWAT team raid in February has prompted the department to review its policies, Chief Ken Burton said at a news conference Thursday.

SWAT officers raided the home of Jonathan Whitworth, the dog's owner, eight days after securing the search warrant on suspicion that Whitworth was dealing marijuana, Burton said. The officers encountered a pit bull and a Welsh corgi when they burst through the door of Whitworth's home at 1501 Kinloch Court in southwest Columbia. They fatally shot the pit bull and wounded the corgi. Whitworth's wife and child were also in the home when the police executed the raid, according to a report in the Columbia Tribune.

Whitworth pleaded guilty on April 20 to a misdemeanor charge of unlawful use of drug paraphernalia and was fined $300.

As Mayor Bob McDavid stood next to him, Burton said that the warrant to search Whitworth's home was "stale" and that he has changed department policy to conduct raids immediately after a search warrant is obtained. Burton said the department moved slowly in Whitworth's case because the SWAT team is made up of part-time members who hold other jobs within the department.

Though an internal department review is ongoing, Burton said the pit bull was acting aggressively. He guardedly defended the actions of the officers involved, whom he declined to name.

"We're getting death threats from literally all over the world," Burton said.

"Dealing marijuana" is hardly justification to kick a door down with guns blazing.

I don't blame the police (though they did over-do it by a long shot), I blame the insane laws and polices that are the "War On Drugs".

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
That was shot by a police officer. You'll have to wait until BBA brings us a new one.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
if I had to bet that one state will hold out and be the very last to decriminalize, my money would be on Missouri

I'll take that bet, because I don't think Missouri will be the last ;).

The thing that irks me about this story is that nobody is willing to look past their initial gut reactions. All you see is angry statements about the war on drugs, and how we should legalize marijuana.

I completely disagree. I think the problem is much larger than that. They simply shouldn't be using the swat team to investigate something like this. If they really believed he was bigger or was a serious threat, then the police should do their work better. The practices and policies of SWAT teams and other police forces should be examined to ensure that the suspects rights are respected. Property should not be damaged unless it is absolutely necessary. A police officer should not be shooting at an animal unless they are placed in real danger by the animal.

This could be used to fix some serious problems with the police system in this country, but everyone is too absorbed in their current political agendas to realize it. Go ahead and end the war on drugs, but these cases will continue to happen until we fix the problems with police in this country.

The silly thing is that this isn't the first time this has happened, nor is it the most shocking or high profile case of it's kind. That case where the mayor's house was invaded is the first to come to mind. The only reason you are seeing this thread today is because it popped up on Digg. I find it amusing how many people act offended as if this is the first time they've ever heard of such a thing. Welcome to the real world.

Last edited:

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
www.nsa.gov
Botched no-knock raids:

Raids.png