Full 1st Person View

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HereticElite2K4

HaloUT Custom Skinner
Feb 27, 2005
Isabela, Puerto Rico
Is it possible to make a full 1st person view in UT2003 or UT2004 like in Halo and Halo 2? Here are some teaser shots on what I mean.

1stPersonWeaponView.jpg

Full1stPerson02.jpg

Full1stPerson01.jpg

These are merely illusions and if wondering if the Unreal engine is capable of doing this effect in real-time. And if so I also wondering if anyone would be so kind in pointing me into the right direction in making this possible?

[Meaning that you are able to see your own arms and legs in 1st person view like in Halo while you are in motion.]

Last edited:

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Yes it is very doable but with some caveats. check out this thread for a sample mutator: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=118017&highlight=true+person

Beppo and the INF team tossed it together to place the third person camera in the the head of the player. It is for UT2k3, but I think it will still work.

There are a few problems will full first person though.
1: the third person weapon model is typically too low poly for most people, so if you use the first person weapon model, you have to somehow hide the player arms and third person weapon model while the feet are still visible (setbonescale 0 maybe?)
2: There can be a lot of weird model "clipping" issues when viewing the rest of the player model from the head like being able to see "into" the arms.
3: if you attach the camera to the models headbone, You have to make sure all of the animations work properly in that view and that there are not any situations in which the head goes into a wall (usually not a big deal since the collision cylinder is typically large enough to prevent this).