Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

revolt04

Dec 31, 2008
sorry i dont really comprehended what ur talking bout
i m interested about reducing crosshair size at high resolution
that s the main reason i only play in lower resolution, crosshair in 1680*1050 for exemple it makes crosshair really big (i use small dot)

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ah I see. So the size of the standard crosshair is already too big. The mutator only fixes the bluriness.

What resolution are you playing at and what size would you like it to be ? If you're not sure how much, take a screenshot without a crosshair and draw a rectangle of the approximate size you'd like.

Diehard

Ah I see. So the size of the standard crosshair is already too big. The mutator only fixes the bluriness.

What resolution are you playing at and what size would you like it to be ? If you're not sure how much, take a screenshot without a crosshair and draw a rectangle of the approximate size you'd like.

As i said earlyer, i pretty much asume the crosshairs (the entire picture including the black surrounding it) consumes exactly 64 x 64 pixels from your screen regardless the resolution. Above a certain resolution (on error?) the crosshair all of a sudden consumes 128 x 128 pixels of the screen(its being enlarged).

If the mutator would allow it to set it to 64 x 64 pixels for the lower screen settings, and a 32 x 32 setting for the higher screen settings, in the last option, the screen will due to the error project it again as 64 x 64. This would ensure that the picture is always 64 x 64 ingame independent from what resolution is used.

The blurrynes is simply caused by the fact that a 64 x 64 pixel picture is enlarged to 128 x 128 pixel. The larger pictures(256x 256) in the mod will get rid of the blurrynes, because regardless the ingame size, they are reduced and not enlarged(at least as long as the setting does not exceed 256 x 256 pixels). The more reduction the sharper the crosshair will apear. But the final ingame size could be solved by a setting that is half the size from what it should be, e.g. 32 x 32 pixels instead of 64 x 64. That i asume will be the solution to the enlargement.

As an example, because i dont know when the enlargement apears:

600 x 800 (setting should be 64)
1024 x 768 (setting should be 64)
1152 x 864 (setting should be 64)

1280 950 (setting should be 32) (which ingame leads to 64 due to the error)
1600 1200 (setting should be 32) (which ingame leads to 64 due to the error)
1920 1440 (setting should be 32) (which ingame leads to 64 due to the error)

As said its just an example, i dont know at what settings the error occurs ! But people here could make a list :) and post it :)

Last edited:

Diehard

In the meantime i added the 3 missing crosshairs to the package.

Because of the size of those 3 crosshairs, the setup has been changed completelly:

The normal package: Normal_UTRP_Crosshairs.zip

In this package the textures are added in the original size, and should NOT be used clientsided since they wont fix anything.

Usage: Serversided only !

The High End S3TC version: HighEnd_UTRP_Crosshairs.zip

This package does contain the High Resolution textures according the High End specifications:

32 will be 256
64 will be 512
128 will be 1024
256 will be 2048

Usage: Clientsided only !(e.g. you as a player)
Do not use as serverpackage !

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Sounds nice.
I can't access my main PC right now, can you post some screen about how they scale with higher resolutions?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ok, I think I know what's happening. Here's quick question by question reply...

As i said earlyer, i pretty much asume the crosshairs (the entire picture including the black surrounding it) consumes exactly 64 x 64 pixels from your screen regardless the resolution. Above a certain resolution (on error?) the crosshair all of a sudden consumes 128 x 128 pixels of the screen(its being enlarged).

The way things seem to work with the standard code is that UT assumes you are using a 64x64 texture.

However, the crosshair itself is scaled up according to the screen resolution (see code below). So the crosshair should appear bigger but is proportionately the same size unless the resolution is below 512 pixels wide.

Code:
 	if (Crosshair>=CrosshairCount) Return;
	if ( Canvas.ClipX < 512 )
		XScale = 0.5;
	else
		XScale = FMax(1, int(0.1 + Canvas.ClipX/640.0));

In english this means that XScale is 0.5 below 512 width. At a width of 640 pixels, the XScale is 1.0 and it is increased according to the ratio defined by the resolution width divided by 640.

The scaling is uneven because it's rounded off to a whole number (that's what int() does).

Code:
	XLength = XScale * 64.0;

This is the code that decides how big the crosshair is actually going to be.

If XScale is 1.0, XLength will be 64 (Epic seems to have decided the crosshair texture should be one-tenth of the screen resolution). If it higher than that, XLength will be 64 * XScale.

For example :

Screen resolution is 1024x768.

XScale = FMax(1, int(0.1 + Canvas.ClipX/640.0))

- Canvas.ClipX is 1024.
- Canvas.ClipX/640.0 = 1.6.
- 1.6 + 0.1 = 1.7. (+0.1 forces a whole number to have a decimal fraction)
- int( 1.7 ) = 1.
- FMax (Maximum decimal number) between 1 and 1 is of course 1.
- XLength = 64.

Screen resolution is 1600x1200.

XScale = FMax(1, int(0.1 + Canvas.ClipX/640.0))

- Canvas.ClipX is 1600.
- Canvas.ClipX/640.0 = 2.5.
- 2.5 + 0.1 = 2.6.
- int( 2.6 ) = 2.
- FMax (Maximum decimal number) between 1 and 2 is 2.
- XLength = 128.

So to get a jump in crosshair size, you need a screen resolution that is higher or equal to 1280xY.

Code:
	Canvas.DrawTile(T, XLength, XLength, 0, 0, 64, 64);

This is where the crosshair is actually drawn. XLength is the size it will appear on the screen and "64, 64" is the "window" inside the texture that should be drawn.

This explains why the high resolution crosshairs aren't visible with the standard code. It is only showing the top left 64x64 area of the textures.

If the mutator would allow it to set it to 64 x 64 pixels for the lower screen settings, and a 32 x 32 setting for the higher screen settings, in the last option, the screen will due to the error project it again as 64 x 64. This would ensure that the picture is always 64 x 64 ingame independent from what resolution is used.

I can hardcode this if necessary but I need to know what size there should be according to the screen resolution as the rules above don't seem to suit anyone.

The blurrynes is simply caused by the fact that a 64 x 64 pixel picture is enlarged to 128 x 128 pixel. The larger pictures(256x 256) in the mod will get rid of the blurrynes, because regardless the ingame size, they are reduced and not enlarged(at least as long as the setting does not exceed 256 x 256 pixels).

To reformulate, the bluriness should happen when the crosshair is bigger than 64x64 since the game engine is trying to enlarge something that is made of pixels. There's no magical way of doing this, so what's done is to try to keep the general shape of a picture while blurring it's edges.

When that first becomes noticeable is another question because that depends entirely on the player. At 1440x900, the bluriness is quite noticeable. Note that 1440 / 640 gives a ratio of 2.25 which rounds off to 2, so that explains the 2x size.

The larger texture size helps to keep a sharper crosshair because the engine is downscaling a texture. That means it only has to lose information instead of trying to recreate information that isn't there.

So, in short, this is why I need to know scale of crosshair people want according to the resolution. Or what I could do is change the formula to get rid of the size jump and make it so the crosshair keeps the same proportions it has at 640x480.

Last edited:

Diehard

I can find myself in above explanation :)

Epic seems to have decided the crosshair texture should be one-tenth of the screen resolution

Which is not that weird, all measurements for UT are binaries, and so are screen resolutions. 32 might have been to small, while 128 was prob too large, so they cut it to a usable size of 64.

And to achief an even more correct size, they simply tweaked the final size using a correct amount of black that surronds all crosshairs.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Hmm, I've no idea if the drawing size being a power of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128...) is important but I'm going to go through with the idea of resizing the texture like it should appear at 640x480. If noone likes it, we'll work on another solution.

Last edited:

Diehard

Oh, i was only refering to the default size, i am not saying that the sizes that are used to compensate for the screen reolution will be powers of 2.

It could very well they used calculations like 2.5, 3.25, 4.25, or whatever they came up. I was only refering to the default 64 size compared to the 640 reolution.

CSLA*Jackal

Mar 5, 2009
Slovakia
csla.soth.sk
I have read through the whole forum and as i see still no usable fix avail :(

Damn, I've been looking for it since 4 years ago - when i got new LCD.

It doesnt seem like that, but bigger/blurry crosshair affects the gameplay and skill (esp. with sniper) significantly. I hope some fix will show up someday :).

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
This is what my ut looks like right now.

Attachments

• mmmmmm.JPG
    mmmmmm.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 56
  • mm.JPG
    mm.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 55
  • mmm.JPG
    mmm.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 50
  • mmmm.JPG
    mmmm.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 40
  • mmmmm.JPG
    mmmmm.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 43

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
I have a question, is there a way to scale the player set up permanently?

I mean it's not a big deal or anything, just kind of annoying.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
It will happen when you have resolution high enough. I have tried to find solution myself, but so far it looks like the game always reverts to default view. Solution would be to set font size to "Double" under Video options, then it looks fine.

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
Still can't see the head unfortunately =\ I want to use a lower resolution but the quality is really terrible on some more than others, pretty weird

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I can't even see the highres UTRP crosshairs in the game menu to choose them. Do I just alter the user.ini or ut.ini codes to choose it based on the same position of the dot that I like to use?

Sirax

Aug 9, 2009
can somebody help me with my UT '99 settings please?

I've installed a fresh installation of UT and I applied these textures from here:
http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/UT.htm

But when i setup the Opengl renderer and I play online people look like they are skating around on one leg and when they die they just stay there like christmas trees.

I've already tried to do the FIX posted in the first post but that .exe gets closed by windows after few seconds.

Just need some help to get the best UT graphics with my PC specs.

Hope someone can help me here

Diehard

But when i setup the Opengl renderer and I play online people look like they are skating around on one leg and when they die they just stay there like christmas trees.

I've already tried to do the FIX posted in the first post but that .exe gets closed by windows after few seconds.

That problem is a serversided problem, and should be fixed by the admin by using the textures from this page: S3TC Servers Packages So best way is to point the admin from that server to that page. On the other hand, i should add that to the mainpage from UT, so people find it faster. Ill add it to my todo list.

As for the fix, you shouldnt use it at all. The fix was created years and years ago, and only handles a few packages, while the UTRP project has almost the double amount of packages. Aside that, as said, its a serversided problem, nor a clientsided problem.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, since we're talking about the S3fix again, I was just thinking that I usually apply this everytime I install UT even though I'm not running a server. Obviously, the server you connect to has to have applied this fix for it to work, but what is this fix doing client-side when it installs? Is it not doing anything if you don't have a server already set up or what?

Diehard

OK, since we're talking about the S3fix again, I was just thinking that I usually apply this everytime I install UT even though I'm not running a server. Obviously, the server you connect to has to have applied this fix for it to work, but what is this fix doing client-side when it installs? Is it not doing anything if you don't have a server already set up or what?

You should not use the fix at all, if you run a server than you have to use the proper textures given in the link: S3TC Servers Packages problem solved.........

Clients also shouldnt use the fix and certainly not when the packages from the UTRP project are used. The UTRP packages didnt excist when the fix was made backthan, at worse it causes problems, at best it doesnt fix anything.......

Dont use it !, ever.......