Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
In UT for example set MaxAnisotropy=16 to get level 16 of AF, 8 for eight etc.

$hagratH

Jan 24, 2008
Is there any other thing I can fix or something? I need feedback... :(

well hello m8
to start with,,to make this very easy for ME for example,,why dnt u just upload ur ini`s ?? so ppl like me can dl them and try them out,instead of all thoose changings we need to do,im sorry to say this,but i really dont have the time to sit there and make theese changes:D
so how about that??
very grateful for a answer,,and i think ur doing one hellawa good job and its very nice ov u to share this work with us
cheerz
Marduk

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
In UT for example set MaxAnisotropy=16 to get level 16 of AF, 8 for eight etc.

Thanks Raynor.Z! Looks like UT is different as I suspected.:) I'm revisiting the INI files for UT and UT2004 and once I'm settled on the UT one, I plan to post at least the OpenGL section here.

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
I have been checking this thread now and then , but just last week installed the textures on the second disk.
The graphics are amazing now!
I still need to adjust some stuff though cause i am seeing some problems:
Some textures flashing green when i shoot and when i minimize the only thing i can see is the gun.
Also , i have turned the brightness almost all the way up but it is still a little to dark. :(
Is there a updated version of the .ini section for this point in the thread?
The one posted doesn't agree with my UT :(

Last edited:

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
umm, yeah that is the same version i have i think.

Earlier in this thread there was a post containing the section of the UT.ini pertaining to this subject. The ini section has notes next to each line explaining why it was set that way and what it is for. Well my question reworded for those of you who. . .
Are there any updates to that post? I tried using those settings and it stops UT from booting with an error. Any new news on the subject? or / Do i have to go through each setting one by one and change from default?:con:

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Patch

Kort, what type of video card do you use? I hope it isn't ATI but if it is, there is a patch for the darkness issue. I have the patch somewhere too I think. Take this up on another favorite forum you know. Later!

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Try both latest Direct3D8 and OpenGL, it's very individual which one works best for you.

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
Excluding Hermskii , nobody is reading the post.

I have already tried diff, renderer's and have found OGL works the best.
Can someone post something to do with my question?
This thread is about tweaking it to the max. I want to tweak my GL Raynor. Kapeesh?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
What's your video card? I have an ATI 9800Pro 256MB right now (Sapphire version). If my internet is working tonight, I'll go ahead and post my OpenGL settings (and the Windows ones as well). That UT OpenGL web site has explanations for each of those commands, so see if that helps you out at all but you might have already been through that. My settings (when posted) will be for AA2X and AF4X.

EDIT: I'm using NGO 6.6 drivers for my ATI card with 2GB RAM and P4 3.2 CPU. Here is the section of Unrealtournament.ini that I have (updated 3-17-08):

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=1024
WindowedViewportY=768
WindowedColorBits=32
FullscreenViewportX=1280
FullscreenViewportY=960
FullscreenColorBits=32
Brightness=0.600000
MipFactor=1.000000
UseDirectDraw=True
UseJoystick=False
CaptureMouse=True
StartupFullscreen=True
CurvedSurfaces=True <<<ran FPS test and barely any difference
LowDetailTextures=False
ScreenFlashes=True
NoLighting=False
SlowVideoBuffering=False
DeadZoneXYZ=True
DeadZoneRUV=False
InvertVertical=False
ScaleXYZ=1000.000000
ScaleRUV=2000.000000
MinDesiredFrameRate=30.000000
Decals=True
NoDynamicLights=False
UseDirectInput=False
SkinDetail=High
TextureDetail=High
ParticleDensity=0
NoFractalAnim=False

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=10000
ConfiguredLanSpeed=20000

[Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem]
UseDirectSound=True
UseFilter=True
UseSurround=True
UseStereo=True
UseCDMusic=False
UseDigitalMusic=True
UseSpatial=False
UseReverb=True
Use3dHardware=True
LowSoundQuality=False
ReverseStereo=False
Latency=40
OutputRate=44100Hz
EffectsChannels=32
DopplerSpeed=9000.000000
MusicVolume=160
SoundVolume=192
AmbientFactor=0.700000

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
RefreshRate=85
UseGammaExtension=True
UseModulatedGamma=False
GammaOffset=0.000000
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
UseS3TC=True
UseTNT=False
MaxLogUOverV=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxTMUnits=0
LODBias=0 <<<changed from -1 to 0 after reading this thread
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
MaskedTextureHack=False
SmoothMaskedTextures=False <<<decided to add it per iSenSe
ShareLists=False
AlwaysMipmap=False <<<changed after reading this thread
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UsePrecache=False
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=2 <<<added after reading this thread
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True <<<changed after reading this thread
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
ZRangeHack=True
UseTrilinear=True
OneXBlending=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=False
SwapInterval=0
FrameRateLimit=0
UseAA=True
NumAASamples=2
AAFilterHint=0
NoAATiles=True <<<added based on info later in thread
MaxAnisotropy=4
UseTruForm=False
NoFiltering=False
Use16BitTextures=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseBGRATextures=True
UseFilterSGIS=True
UseVertexSpecular=False
UseVertexProgram=False
UseZTrick=False
UseCVA=True <<<changed because both my cards don't have hardware T&L
UseMultidrawArrays=True <<<changed after more research
BufferClippedActorTris=False
BufferTileQuads=True
UseSSE=True
UseSSE2=True <<<added after reading this thread
UseTexIdPool=True
UseTexPool=True
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
DisableSpecialDT=False
SupportsLazyTextures=False
DescFlags=0 <<<added after reminded in this thread
Description=ATI Sapphire 9800Pro 256MB <<<as above

That should do it. Let us know how it goes this time!:)

Also, it looks like the list you're talking about is showing for me on pg. 3 of this thread and it was posted by Dark Pulse. I'm not sure if I checked that list yet, but I will. Definitely read the comments in the Enhanced OpenGL link though. If it still doesn't work, I'd read this whole thread again and make sure you didn't miss anything. I'll let you know when I've finalized these settings and I'll update this post and try to indicate which ones I changed and why. Good Luck!:cool:

I found this link as well that might explain a few things as well:
http://www.ut99clans4fun.opweb.nl/modules.php?name=UTbible&page=2

Last edited:

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
thnx.
That site has some useful things on it. I am downloading the UT99ctfbible it is supposed to be a compile of many good tuts on graphics tweaking. Maybe it will help a little too.

My card is a GeFoerce FX 5200 ,128
Looks like i will be altering the settings one by one then. This is going to take forever.

Does the patch you speak of work for my card Herm?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
After reading this thread, the UTGLR article again, and searching for info on each of the settings I'm not sure about (including the ones not listed in my OpenGL section), I would like to post some comments and questions. I'll try to post them in the order they appear in my file above and also make some more changes to my settings above based on this. Also, please excuse me if I restate some comments already mentioned in this thread.

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
CurvesSurfaces - Inoxx said this is an experimental command and should be False; other online comments say it results in much better looking models (player skins) with large performance hit and the model difference is fairly unnoticeable; I did an FPS test and there was barely any difference, so I'll make it True for now.

SlowVideoBuffering - Inoxx says it should be False except under software rendering; other online comments say set it to False all the time unless you have problems and you're positive this is the source.

UseDirectInput (also main menu settings) - Keep on true for minor performance increases but if problems with input device then set to false. I believe I have it set to False because of past input device problems that may or may not have been resolved with my newer system.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
RefreshRate - set to highest refresh rate your monitor supports (usually whatever your desktop is set to).

UseGammaExtension - setting it to True will allow you to make any gamma adjustments before loading UT; set it to False if you have no such issues. I guess mine is set to True because of gamma issues with OpenGL.

UseModulatedGamma - setting it to True will modulate a white texture on everything once the screen is rendered; this can improve game brightness, but can result in washed out textures. I would keep it set to False and adjust brightness other ways if needed.

GammaOffset - changes the default gamma level for the game; setting it too high and everything will seem washed out and setting it too low will be too dark, I just leave mine at 0.000000.

GammaOffset (specific color commands) - Why do we need the specific color commands for this? I don't even have them listed in my file. UTGLR says that this is for fine tuning and allowing a different offset for each color, but they are never applied when gamma correcting screenshots.

GammaCorrectScreenshots - if trouble with screenshots, then adjust to True (if too dark) or False (if too bright).

MaxLogTextureSize/MinLogTextureSize - the largest and smallest size a logarithmic texture can be. If you set the max size to less than 1024 and a texture is larger than this, then it will shrink to whatever size you enter and not display the whole thing. If you make the min size to larger than 0, then a 0 size logarithmic texture will be stretched out to whatever you put. Basically, changing the setting from anything but 1024 max and 0 min is not very useful. But generally log textures have not been used in the Unreal Engine, so setting these to anything will probably work....just don't set them equal or the max less than the min. There is no textures in UT larger than 1024, except for maybe an Angelheart map. Seems that Sir_Brizz is suggesting optimal settings of 1024 and 0, respectively, for these two commands, but UTGLR suggests 8 and 0. Seems either setting should be fine and anyone that discovers otherwise please report here!

LODBias - (LevelOfDetail Bias) I changed mine back to 0 as a lot of sources suggest anything else and it looks bad with the S3TC textures. You get more jagginess on edges the higher the number, but this is software AA so it isn't possible to reduce jaggies by more than -0.25%. Using hardware AA will disable this option or make it barely noticeable.

TexDXT1ToDXT3 - converts all DXT1 textures to DXT3 textures; a workaround for poor DXT1 S3TC image quality on Nvidia GeForce1 through GeForce4 cards. Set to True for these cards, otherwise set to False. I set it to False for my ATI 9800Pro card (XP) game and True for my GeF4 card (98SE) game.

MaskedTextureHack - Dark Pulse says leave this at False and others online mostly agree with him; if true it can result in incorrect textures sometimes although it may fix a minor texture problem. Does this fix rings around moon in DM-Phobos?

AlwaysMipmap - I had this to true for the longest time, but I guess it's disabled in the game code so we should just keep it at False.

AutoGenerateMipmaps - set this to true to autogenerate mipmaps for textures lacking them, but could slow things down; UTGLR recommends False because of slow and unstable drivers.

UsePrecache - can set it to true to reduce stutters in-game, but increases load times. I have it set to False for UT and True for UT2004, but still not sure why. Sir_Brizz says on faster cards (and 3dfx cards), this is generally a waste of time as the buffer's and processing speeds are fast enough to be done on their own. I'm guessing I need to set it to False for all UT-type games on both my systems.

DetailClipping - UTGLR says this is an experimental detail texture mode that may improve performance in fill-rate limited situations at the cost of more CPU time; I have it at False in my file.

DetailMax - I added the command to my file and set it to 2 after reading this thread; this allows two levels of detail for certain textures (SinglePassDetail must be False for this to work).

SinglePassDetail - obviously I have this set to False as above; setting it to true possibly improves detail texture quality. Although, I read somewhere that you should change all SinglePass commands to true if you have one of the latest video cards.

SinglePassFog - setting to true you get a performance boost and the fog looks good; this was changed from my original setting after reading this thread.

ColorizeDetailTextures - a debug option for detail textures, but if set to True will add a green tint to detail textures so set it to False.

ZRangeHack - an experimental option that can make the z-buffer work better for far away objects that might have unexpected problems, but fixes decals flickering and "redeemer covering up part of the HUD" problem.

OneXBlending - emulates Direct3D lighting mode; since we're using OpenGL, then I set this to False.

RequestHighResolutionZ - this should be False and only set to true if you have 16-bit colors enabled instead of 32-bit.

SwapInterval - set to -1 for default buffer swapping method (or autodetect); set to 0 to disable vsync; set to 1 to enable vsync.

FrameRateLimit - CPU controlled frame rate limiter in FPS; set to 0 to disable, set to whatever to limit your frame rates.

AAFilterHint - set to 2 to enable this Quincunx AA mode for Nvidia cards; set to 0 if you have an ATI card.

MaxAnisotropy - anisotropic filtering setting, set it to as high as your video card can take and as much of a FPS hit you are willing to take. Here's some comments by FieldMedic:
MaxAnisotropy=0 just disable it for maximum framerate
MaxAnisotropy=1 very old generation of cards (TNT or less i think) should keep good performance
MaxAnisotropy=2 anything higher than a TNT or a Geforce 1 should have no problem with that.

UseTruForm - I have this set to False and deleted all other TruForm-related commands from my file. UTGLR said the support for TruForm was broken (3-16-05) and he removed TruForm from the code in OGL 3.4 (3-11-07). I believe ATI drivers stopped supporting this command as well.

NoFiltering - a debug option to disable filtering on all textures, so set it to False for now.

Use4444Textures - set to True for 16-bit textures and set to False for 32-bit textures.

UseBGRATextures - allows BGRA format textures instead of RGBA format textures and can improve texture upload performance; leave True unless you know this is the command causing you problems.

UseFilterSGIS - if set to True (like my file) it gives graphics improvement with multitexturing enabled with no hit to performance; not sure why Dark Pulse has this set to false. SGIS multisample allows probe combination using separate screen super-samples instead of alpha blending. So, alphablending on with SGIS is defeating the purpose. Not sure exactly what these last 2 sentences mean and I have no idea if alphablending is enabled with any of these commands, but I guess if you have problems and you know it is this command, then set it to False instead.

UseVertexSpecular - setting to true may increase frame rates, but I have it set to False for some reason (possibly outdated command?). This is a different form of lighting technique used instead of the pixel shading for lights used today. It is a way of diffusing light, so that they don't take up as much processing time and can be seen especially with light shining on the ground. Sir_Brizz says leave this at False.

UseVertexProgram - for the same above reasons, I would leave this at False as well.

UseZTrick - can avoid some z-buffer clears at the expense of cutting z-buffer precision in half; it can improve performance on some video cards, but if you have z-buffer optimization hardware on your video card then it will reduce performance; I have this set to False. Earlier in the thread there is a mixup with another command and I believe Dark Pulse mixed up this command with ZRangeHack on page 3 of this thread. I believe I have it set to False because it may reduce performance on my video card.

UseCVA - enables the use of the compiled vertex array extension; I set to True because both my present video cards (9800Pro256MB, GF4Ti4400) don't have hardware T&L (translation & lighting). For cards without this, setting it to True might help.

UseMultidrawArrays - apparently this results in faster drawing of some stuff and someone has this set to True in their highest graphics settings and highest performance settings file, so I'm not sure why I have it set at false. I guess I wasn't sure if I had that OGL extension available or something; I'll change this one to True.

BufferClippedActorTris - right now I have it set to False, but it is suggested to set this to true if you have clipping problems; in the HUD my Skaarj player shows the head and feet slightly cut-off, I wonder if setting to True would fix this (nope, didn't fix it).

BufferTileQuads - enables buffering in the DrawTile path; this should be set to True to improve text rendering performance.

UseSSE/UseSSE2 - set to True if your CPU supports these sets of commands or False if not.

DisableSpecialDT - it disables the detail textures that are different than the normal textures if the same texture but different detail is detected; I set it to False to see more detail.

SupportsLazyTextures - a form of texture blurring to increase performance; set to true to reduce memory overhead, but I have plenty of memory everywhere in my system so I set this one to False.

DescFlags - any feature that your video card supports in case the engine also supports them; this is a binary number that consists of on and off for each feature; most video cards have a standard set of features which can be enumerated automatically, so you should never have to change this. I deleted this one from my file a few years ago and just added it back with a value of 0, but I'm not sure why. I've heard that video cards are supposed to automatically generate this and that they assign a value to it based on the type of video card installed, but I'm not so sure about that. It seems I've seen people with ATI cards showing this with a value of 0 and people with Nvidia cards showing this with a value of 1 for some odd reason; also OpenGL more shows 0 and Nvidia more shows 1. Anyone want to clarifiy WTF value this should be and why (because even though I wrote more stuff above it's still clear as mud)?

Description - I added this back as well.

[now for some stuff not listed in my OpenGL section and some more questions]
CacheStaticMaps - in this thread, this is supposed to be False for reasons unknown. Anyone know what this does and if it's worth adding to my file at all?

SmoothMaskedTextures - this was released with UTGLR version 3.2 and almost every English-speaking google hit has it set to False but no one gives a good reason why. Anyone know if this is worth adding at all? iSenSe, says he gets clipping in Deck16 with this on so let's leave it off/False.

FastTranslucency - not in my file, but if slowvideobuffering is false this should be True (same setting suggested by Dark Pulse). Any ideas if this is worth adding?

VertexLighting - not in my file, but Dark Pulse sets it to False. I believe I read it should be set to true for low-memory video cards. I guess if the other Vertex commands are False, then this one should be as well or just left out. Anyone know if this is worth adding?

NoMaskedS3TC - not in my file, but UTGLR says this is a debug option and should be False. If it is set to true, then it will prevent showing masked S3TC textures and is more for older hardware and S3TC. Is this worth adding?

Questions:
1. Anyone know what the "OpenGL hacks to fix the odd (fixable) masking error" is all about? Is it a combo of commands already mentioned or something completely different?

2. I have the 3 files of S3TC textures that need to be replaced with the original files from CD2, but I'm not sure if I did it already (did it and I had none of the original ones and replaced all 3 and the cityintro looks a lot better). Some may have come from downloaded files. Do I just need to compare that dates and sizes of the files on CD2 with what I have? Are there any that might work fine, but just have stuff added to them (i.e. - a file from a map zip)?

3. I heard there may be artifacts in the HUD if you set AA any higher than 2.

4. I was wondering about the combination of these settings:
DetailMax=2
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
Anyone know what are good maps to visualize these changes and where in the maps to see them?

5. anyone know how to implement the multicore CPU command to enable only one core for UT? Apparently, the command is -CPUSPEED, but I have no idea where it goes and what CPU speed to set it to. I don't have my new system yet, but ran across this and thought I'd ask.

I believe that should do it for now! Except to say if you leave out a line, then it takes the value shown in your Default.ini file; but for OpenGL all mine in there are set to True above and there are very few listed. See Ya!

Last edited:

iSenSe

on it!
Jan 20, 2008
DM-1on1SmallMountain [NL]
wow, a really gj mate u checked all of this out :fluffle:

SmoothMaskedTextures - i setted it to True and i had a bit of clipping in deck16 while i started a SP game, when i jumped, and moved left and right it did show some blocks

really nice job man !!

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
I am using the enhanced driver and i am getting the same problem , it's to dark. But we can address this later. I am going through one by one and i am stuck on MaxAnisotropy=.
I am not sure how to find out what my card can do? GeForce FX 5200.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
According to this article.....
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=279
.....you may have to take a greater than 20 FPS performance hit with 2XAA and 2XAF (well, that's UT2003 anyway). I have a Ti4400 on my other system (default clocks are similar) and I didn't enable any AA or AF on it. I would just leave these settings alone unless you get a better card.

For no AA or AF, use these settings:
UseAA=False
NumAASamples=0
MaxAnisotropy=0

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
I am using the enhanced driver and i am getting the same problem , it's to dark. But we can address this later. I am going through one by one and i am stuck on MaxAnisotropy=.
I am not sure how to find out what my card can do? GeForce FX 5200.

From past reading,
MaxAnisotropy=0 just disable it for maximum framerate
MaxAnisotropy=1 very old generation of cards (TNT or less i think) should keep good performance
MaxAnisotropy=2 anything higher than a TNT or a Geforce 1 should have no problem with that.

So with your Geforce FX , you should be able to start with 2 and probably a bit more without noticing a framerate drop.