Timetravel... impossible, or possible (in the LATE late future?)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Possible, or no?

• Maybe in the very distant future....

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Doubt it, and don't think we'll ever get to try it.

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

Fluid

Zen fascists will control you
Aug 2, 2000
Maastricht, the Netherlands
Originally posted by Mute

Does anyone else find the title of the thread ironic? If time travel is possible in the late future, then it'll be possible now because someone would bring it back :).

No, they saw what happened to their time because of all the people time travelling and decided not to make it worse by giving it to us :p

larrystorch

Jul 16, 2001
The Right Coast
www.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by Sapphire Nights
Sure it is. Go into a sports bar and its a trip into the Stone Age :D

or football(US) game, baseball game, basketball game, monstar truck race, NASCAR event, or the bar at the local golf club I'm being dragged to tonight to see a lameazz band.

/me tries to find his normal clothes to out into the Big Room tonight:(

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
I hate the "They would be here if they had time travel" argument. What makes you think that you can punch in a date and appear there? What if time-travel is inaccurate, and they never ended up getting to this period of history? Or kept accidentally travelling back in time to parts of the year when the Earth was on the other side of the sun?

The parallel universe approach fixes the problems from changing the past. it simply means that if you go back in time and change something, it changes that future - but not the future you came from.
So you can go back in time and stop your parents from ever meeting. Then when you travel into the future, you arrive in a world where nobody knows who you are and your girlfriend's going out with a politician. You probably can't return to the future that you origonally came from.

LumenEdge

Creative Element
May 23, 2000
Just south of Heaven
www.youtube.com
I've always imagined that traveling in time would be much the same as traveling spacially. Each possible event that could ever potentially happen, being like an infinite number of paths that we choose. Those choices shape reality itself and each persons life is like a few steps down that path.

If we use that as the base concept we could say that if someone could freely travel backward through time, they would be back tracking through the path that was chosen. Once you went back you could effect which path someone origionally chose thus changing destiny. Let's say you go back and meet Adolf Hitler as a young boy of age 6. You spend quality time with him and teach him the ways of Gandi. When you return to the present and start asking about some guy named Hitler or the Jewish holocaust, no one would know what you were talking about. The question though is where did the origional path(or time line) go? I believe that there are not only paths but two states that those paths can be in. The path not chosen always exists but remains in a passive(or potential) state. The path that is chosen is in the active(or actual) state that we are experiencing now. If there is more that one reality, it would most likely be due to there being multiple paths in an active state but that's a whole nother theory.

Moving freely foward in time would be like traveling farther ahead down the "active state" or AS path to the future but it would be a future without you in it. Let's say I want to know what my future holds in 15 years, so I travel forward an arrive in the future only to find that I have no place in it. I do some research to find out what happened an all I would find would be a 15 year old missing persons report saying that I was presumed dead. The problem would be that just like spacial location, if I'm not there I'm...not there. If I step outside of the normal flow of time, I can't interact or interfere with the events that take place in my absence. A person therefore could never know there own future unless someone else did the traveling, saw my future self and reported back to me what they saw. Either that or they could bring my future self back to the present for me to talk to but doing so would alter the future that my future self came from. By this time there would be four of me. My present self, my displaced future self, the new future self that I would become in the alternate future and the much older first future self who decided to stay in the present and prevent me from making the mistakes I would have. Now after that, things get a little....tricky. ;)

Arilakon

Dec 4, 2001
I forgot.
haha, yeah, impossible

just like teleporting, i think that's impossible too.

(time for someone to start up a thread on that too.)

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
Time travel into the future is theoretically possible, you just need to suspend the person/object from travelling with time.