Why games will always look fake...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Plus, your screen should ideally be in 16:9 format to suit the field of human vision as the 4:3 format clips part of it.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Hanover_Fist said:
THE COOLEST JOB IN THE WORLD

icon_eek.gif
Um, can I play qWaK3 on that thing????? :eek2:

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
TossMonkey said:
****, that was a dumbass typo wasn't it?

Yeah Doom was 10 years old on the day of that stupid post. Still, my post still stands, 10 years and look how far we've come. Doom3 is on the horizon and it looks cool, imagine 10 years from now.

Basically, all the techniques used are still very much the same though. We've still got our BSP based geometry, spiced up with some meshwork (ugly lighting) here and there. As engines have improved, the effort required to make a map that's up to the engine standards has also gone up - remember how much less time it took to make a UT1 map?

If it keeps progressing at this rather linear pace, it's going to be way too inconvenient to model each polygon individually and spend 150 days on a map.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
It wont take that long. You've got static meshes now which you can copy & paste to your will, soon there will be a huge library of models that will be standard (a bit like virtual props), and you wont need to model each individual polygon either because of new technologies such as bump mapping and pixel shaders. And with BSP it doesnt matter because once we have completely realtime rendered lighting you wont be able to tell the difference between a static mesh and bsp.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
spineblaZe said:
Um, can I play qWaK3 on that thing?????

I wish.

And I don't really have the "coolest" job in the world. Most of my day is spent designing virtual parts , surf the forums, design part, surf, design part....surf... lather, rinse, repeat.

Occasionally, I go to meetings where middle manager types use big words to say absolutely nothing. Once, "Wayne" (a middle manager) used the word "Behoove", and it was really awkward, like he was trying to be smart.

So when it was my turn to say something, I slipped in the word "behoove", everyone thought it was funny. Except for Wayne.

Wayne doesn't like Han. :)

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
They will always look fake because making it look 100% real isn't the entire point. It's the certain little things that aren't quite right that makes the feel of games like unreal like small distortions on the characters etc. Artists don't try to make things 100% real all the time because they realize that something not totally accurate can have more power.

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
TossMonkey said:
It wont take that long. You've got static meshes now which you can copy & paste to your will, soon there will be a huge library of models that will be standard (a bit like virtual props), and you wont need to model each individual polygon either because of new technologies such as bump mapping and pixel shaders. And with BSP it doesnt matter because once we have completely realtime rendered lighting you wont be able to tell the difference between a static mesh and bsp.

You know, someone has to make those meshes and bump maps, and if you don't make your own it all looks the same :p

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
TWD said:
Artists don't try to make things 100% real all the time because they realize that something not totally accurate can have more power.
I'm glad you used those words that I put in bold. *cough* Michelangelo's David *cough*

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Of course, I think you mean closer to 10 years old today.

Dammit, I guess that means we need to keep upgrading our video cards, hehe. You know if you look at that one picture long enough and concentrate on the babes, Gary Coleman just disappears............ :lol:

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
WebSlinger said:
I'm glad you used those words that I put in bold. *cough* Michelangelo's David *cough*

Who's "Michelangelo"?

Is he that dago that painted those two naked guys touching fingers on that church roof?

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
People have been looking for realism in games for a very long time. A lot of the bashing that video games get is that they are "Too Real" I don't think we are there yet, though with computers doubling in power every 18 months, someday.. we'll get there... we'll get there.