UE3 - General Interpt Actors

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I am having some serious lighting issues on all my moving objects.

My level is nicely lit but all the movers are solid black as if there is no lighting on them at all!

I tried many different things but no luck the moving mesh is still black.

I had this issue on DM-Iron Maiden 2 and some one told me that some option the mesh properties fixes this but I can't find that PM (may have deleted it)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
are you using light environment or not? Light environment on the mover will light the mesh with the surrounding lights using the compost light channel which they all do why defult. so try setting on the light environment.. (they will apear black in the editor though until you click on them)

I use to use light environment, but now I use ONE near by light with a dynamic channel (NOT a dynamic light NO NO!)

these pics below show how to set up the properties so that it will accept the one light.. and only the one light shall affect the mover. its very minimal in performance usage.. no more then a pick up.

lightsg.jpg

BIOS

Oct 31, 2002
seattle, wa USA
www.biosleveldesign.com
under your mesh and your light properties are checkboxes for 'light channels' -- make sure that the light you are using to light the mesh is broadcasting light in the same channel that the mesh is set to receive light from. (ie, if you are using a dynamic light, the light should be in the dynamic light channel and the mesh should also be in the dynamic light channel).

EDIT - here's a link:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightingReference.html#LightingChannels

my guess is that your interp actor is set in the dynamic channel while your light is only broadcast ing static light.

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
I just thought I would Add.. It seems like you don't know about light channels till now.. They are really important for optimizing things. I herd that one of your maps had some performance issues looking at lifts.. I haven't looked into it but I suspect that you had multiple lights with a dynamic channel around movers..

have a look into limiting Lights to specific movers only so that they affect nothing else, or so that the mover is affected by no other light.. its something I do to make my movers no more demanding then a health pickup.

its partly what I explained with my picture.. you can see i disabled BSP,Static and compost channels

Just some FYI encase you didn't know.

Keep up the good work. PS got the pickup issue sorted.

Last edited: