Lego parts?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I am a grammar Nazi as well, but this argument is plain dumb. Whether you say 1 LEGO brick/2 LEGO bricks or 1 LEGO/2 LEGOs it matters not. The specialized function that the word Lego serves, the brands prevalence, and age, lends an immediate knowledge of what one is talking about for all but the most clueless of people.

I tend to presume most of you here have the cognitive ability to not get hung up by the possible other implications of 'Lego bricks' and/or that you are in possession of the anal retention to get hung up by the term Legos. For me, it comes down to knowing my target audience and choosing the appropriate term. "My son loves his Legos" is likely to elicit less confusion from the average person then saying "My son loves his Lego bricks". For some reason I assume most here to be above average intelligence and as such that 'Lego bricks' wont confuse any of you. Similarly though I fully understand what those that say Legos mean so I see no cause for complaint. I am sorry to rain on the lame flame parade but are you people really that bored?

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
[GU]elmur_fud;2561268 said:
I am a grammar Nazi as well, but this argument is plain dumb. Whether you say 1 LEGO brick/2 LEGO bricks or 1 LEGO/2 LEGOs it matters not. The specialized function that the word Lego serves, the brands prevalence, and age, lends an immediate knowledge of what one is talking about for all but the most clueless of people.

I tend to presume most of you here have the cognitive ability to not get hung up by the possible other implications of 'Lego bricks' and/or that you are in possession of the anal retention to get hung up by the term Legos. For me, it comes down to knowing my target audience and choosing the appropriate term. "My son loves his Legos" is likely to elicit less confusion from the average person then saying "My son loves his Lego bricks". For some reason I assume most here to be above average intelligence and as such that 'Lego bricks' wont confuse any of you. Similarly though I fully understand what those that say Legos mean so I see no cause for complaint. I am sorry to rain on the lame flame parade but are you people really that bored?

you should address that directly to firefly, apart from that, decent post :tup:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
What is wrong with saying "My son loves his lego."?

Anyway I can't believe you guys are sti......
Actually I can. I've been on these boards long enough.

Wow, you're working hard on becoming worst poster!

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
What is wrong with saying "My son loves his lego."?

:con:

My guess, that it is due to how awkward sounding it is to those that don't use it. When speaking of nouns it is generally a base level rule to add an 's' to pluralize something. And though there are exceptions. They are not part of the common mans vocabulary in many English speaking areas. However I would guess you know that as well as I so that may have been a rhetorical question.

So... "My son loves his lego." would appear to also be incorrect as The LEGO group themselves use it as part of a noun-phrase with very rare exception. Examples taken directly from there homepage: LEGOLAND, LEGO designers, LEGO augmented reality, LEGO creations, LEGO education. When referring to multiple components they say LEGO bricks, parts, or pieces in all the examples that I could find. In fact the only places I can find were they say 'LEGO' they are referring to the company and it is of course not his LEGO.

Basically if you just insist on being grammatically correct 'LEGO' is the non-countable (having no plural form) part of a noun phrase that can be countable.

Considering all that and that language is an ever evolving beast, this seems like a form of political jousting for your preferred evolutionary path... and now that I have come to that conclusion if I hadn't bothered to type all this I wouldn't bother to hit submit. :doh:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Quick! Use FISH, LEGO, and SHEEP as singular subjects of a sentence and then use each of them in a sentence as plural subjects BUT make sure both sentences are identical! I'll go ahead and beat you to it since my sides hurt so bad from listening to you folks trying to outsmart each other.

The fish, lego and the sheep are all white.

You should all be lawyers. Defense lawyers to be exact. It would be ugly at first but you'd win. It would be like "My Cousin Vinny" but without a hot chick. LOL. Thanks for the laughs. I had a friend when I was a kid that would argue every single point of anything anyone said. Several of you sound a lot like him.