Went too the zoo today

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
My wife and I donate and have yearly passes... I like animals and it is a cheap form of entertainment for our son who likes to watch the black bears swat at the vultures that hang out in their habitat. (It is as close as they can get to the coastal habitat that smells rather fishy. Understatement.)

But I digress.

Today the zoo was flooded with schools (all from Bryan/College Station ISD), it seems 5 or more large classes or whole small schools decided to come to the zoo. Fantastic.

But man did I over-hear some dumb-ass comments by the teachers to their students.

There is a 212lb 3ft diameter Albino Alligator snapper in a large wall tank about 50ft depicting animals indigenous to Texas rivers... The teacher leading the class promptly told her swarm of grade-school brats that the turtle was Cement. And that turtles couldn't get that big. (Not sure what she thinks the tortoises are that she had to walk by to get in the building.) It then moved and much screaming ensued.

Then later in the Herpetarium I heard different teacher describe a 20 some ft Boa Constrictor as being The kind of snake that will chase and tease you. My wife muttered to herself "No you dumb bitch that is the kind of snake that will squeeze and eat you."

...just a rant as I find that level of ignorance about commonly known animals to be appalling. Especially when my taxes are paying for this system of education.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Maybe teachers generally wouldn't tell children that a snake could squeeze them to death and eat them.

They are probably teaching math instead.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Is it really that surprising given that the United States has one of the worst managed public education system in the world?

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Is it really that surprising given that it's Texas? :flame:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
27719031236b41a63344ax1.jpg

gatorgz7.jpg

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Maybe teachers generally wouldn't tell children that a snake could squeeze them to death and eat them.

They are probably teaching math instead.
These were not little kids in the Herpetarium. But shit is still shit even if you sugar coat it.

Is it really that surprising given that Texas has one of the worst managed public education system in the United States?

I haven't attended a public school in Texas since the first 2 months of 1st grade so I wouldn't know. The public high school I did attend in Mo. was bad enough.

Hate to say it, Elmur... but Zxan's right.

Seriously... cement? That's one dumb bitch.

Public schools man, none of which made any religious comments or even creation related comments so stfu and go play with you favorite e-penis elsewhere. :rolleyes:

I heard the same nit that wanted to portray giant snakes as mischievous (Thinks the jungle book cartoon is science fact?) tell her students that Alligators (the animal in question was a Caiman but no big deal) were the only animal to have survived the ice-age. So obviously she teaches evolution but I guess science in general was not her strong suit. I was appalled by the other remarks this just made me eyeroll.

I was glad that I could out pace her and her brood.

Side note: Was finally able to get a pic of the 14ft King Cobra they have, the chump is usually under a log or something. So a good trip despite the idiots.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Not sure how a circular argument is the same as dividing by zero but maybe the tiny text I can't read explains that!?

[GU]elmur_fud;2562649 said:
I heard the same nit that wanted to portray giant snakes as mischievous (Thinks the jungle book cartoon is science fact?) tell her students that Alligators (the animal in question was a Caiman but no big deal) were the only animal to have survived the ice-age. So obviously she teaches evolution but I guess science in general was not her strong suit.
So she teaches the kind of evolution that has us all evolve from alligators within a time-span of about 10,000 years? Yeah, might as well not teach evolution at all then.:lol:

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Not sure how a circular argument is the same as dividing by zero but maybe the tiny text I can't read explains that!?

It's not. All the small txt does is pose a question that leads to the next step. Like most of Firefly's "funny religious pics" it is only funny if your an idiot, clueless about religion, and/or completely jaded towards it. They are generally way out of context or graphically incorrect for any religion. What I wonder is how much of it he means and how much is a troll.

So she teaches the kind of evolution that has us all evolve from alligators within a time-span of about 10,000 years? Yeah, might as well not teach evolution at all then.:lol:

I have found that the notion that ALL life was wiped out by the ice-age to be a fairly common mis-perception of many people, even among those that believe evolution.

I just find it appalling that a teacher can't get the details right, my rant isn't about what particular dogma she is teaching, it's about the quality of education... but I guess in grade school it's all about the foundations. Too bad those kids have a foundation of stupid to build on.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
My elementary school was a public school of 65 students, grades K-5. With the level of individualized attention that the students had received, it was no wonder that once I had moved to the mainland I felt sort of neglected.

Honestly, what she and the other teachers said is deplorable and downright detestable in an educational system. While it may not be enough to warrant getting them fired, they should at least be moved to a special needs class.

Also: The thread title has a fairly noticeable typo.

Last edited: