*NTKB falls on his knees and PLEADS to yurch!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hannibal1

Forever sig-less
Jun 14, 2000
Visit site
yurch said:
From what I understand of course, inf's map distances usually stay well within what is considered 'iron sight' range. If the iron/scope ordeal were to be accurately portrayed, scopes may take on a smaller advantage or simply a more preferential role, and this I don't really have a problem with, considering the distances covered.

I must say that I agree with this point. At the current state of Infiltration maps, I think iron-sight dominated gameplay would not be unrealistic. On the other hand, I find myself so unknowledgable about the mechanics of modern infantry combat that I cannot argue the issue from either angle. I get the feeling, however, that firefights last much longer in real life than they do in even RA. Why is this? If it is because of the disparity in accuracy between shooting in RL and in RA, I think that the matter is worth looking into, because in that case, something is not being modeled correctly. I have a vague feeling that RA's weapons are already too easy to use - they are fairly easy to aim, extremely accurate, and very deadly. Are one or more of these aspects modeled inaccurately? Does the difference lie in the mental state of individual soldiers or the amount of information they have? Or is the discrepancy really in the size or type of the maps we use?

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Hannibal1 I to am not familar enough to debate the ease of modern weapons. One of the things that I have been told several times by people who know is that modern weapons handled by the average infantry, ie not sniper weapons, have to be simple yet deadly to use. Now how acurate is the ease or dificultyy compared with RL I am not sure but I assume we will be enlightened shortly. :)

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I think I was playing RA286 on a PR server today. And if it was in fact RA286, I was in fact dissappointed. Needless to say, I shall not play there again. I think I would rather play good old UT over that nonsense. With the damn laser weapons, we were practically there.

And we are talking about a possible RAV3 for goddamn INF 2.9? Since INF 2.86 was supposedly slapped together to please the community, I can see why RA was created. But it has been nearly 2 years in the making for 2.9 or whatever they will call it. And I believe Yurch is on the beta testing team. These combined, I would think INF 2.9 would NOT need an RA. Or so I would hope. If I have waited all this time or more just to have to download an "RA patch", I will be very dissappointed. I hope INF 2.9 will be correctly tweaked in time for release, such that it will not need any further adjustments to gameplay to make it more realistic. If it isn't realistic by now, it probably never will be.

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
jaymian the lasers have nothing to do with RA286. We were just having a bit of fun for awhile. Its actually a Star Wars mute. Thats not how it is normally setup.

Edit: Removed the names to protect the inocent.

Edit: Probably best to ignor this post. I have been told 3 different things now so its very clear that once again I have no idea what I am talking about. Now I have been told its just some thing that is part of RA286 that must be turned on. It still not part of the regular RA286.

Last edited:

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Ben is right about the lasers. I actually requested them since I am making a stormtrooper skin and it would be fun to have a fort game on the deathstar map with the lasers on when everyone is sporting the lastest in imperial combat fashion.

jasdave

Mar 16, 2002
Visit site
Can some one please post a pic (my vid card is still in the ****s so I won't be playing or hooking up to any server any time soon) of the lazer thingy? and nade effects?
(is the lazer thingy just on LAM's?)Thanks in advanced

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
My God you mean I got something right. ;) Anyways I did have fun because it was something different. Would not want to do that too often but once in awhile is OK. My only disappointment was that we did not play EPN with the laser :(

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
My (probably more valid ;)) dissapointment is that we didn't play on DM-DeathStar.

Jaymian, I hope you still play on PR1.. just avoid mondays as those are the Starwars nights (I think..)

To get those weapons offline type in:

mutate laserson

When KW is finished with the Storm Trooper skin (and hopefully a Rebel Trooper skin) we will most likely have full-fledged Star Wars nights with skins, weapons, maps and Fortitude.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Jeez. I lose internet connection for a few days and look at this pile of posts I need to wade through.

Where to start... Sigh... Hannible, I dont think this is getting through your skull so dont take this personal but...

NO ONE EXCEPT YOU AND A FEW PPL LIKE RA286

I think that justifies it being killed or severely changed! This community is too small for this and frankly its making me sick! As I mentioned before and im sure I speak on behalf of many again, If 2.90 isnt realistic, another 286 per se and RAv3 is handled by someone other than yurch (or yurch is brainwashed and codes in some zoom as he seems to have thought about) im done with INF. Adios good bye. Im sure alot of ppl will too. RA players play RA for realism. We seek the feel of real combat, a simulation. What you cant do in real life, ZOOOOM you shouldnt be able to do in the game! Frankly I WISH I could zoom in real life, the beach would be soooo much better ;) However I think all the arguments you presented are opinions and one sided, although mine are the same in that sense they are shared by the majority, which means that if anyone wants to maintain some peace they should be heeded...

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
So? No one but a few people played RA when it started. If it wasn't for AFA2 friday, RealAim might have never been popular. The fact that you don't like it doesn't mean that he should stop playing it. Of course, the fact that there's very few players remainning could be an argument. But size 20 letters are hardly the way to make a point. And really, the "majority" you speak of is irrelevant as the majority of Inf players don't even play Inf anymore. And I sure as hell don't want you to speak for me.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
{GD}NTKB said:
Where to start... Sigh... Hannible, I dont think this is getting through your skull so dont take this personal but...

I think that justifies it being killed or severely changed! This community is too small for this and frankly its making me sick! As I mentioned before and im sure I speak on behalf of many again, If 2.90 isnt realistic, another 286 per se and RAv3 is handled by someone other than yurch (or yurch is brainwashed and codes in some zoom as he seems to have thought about) im done with INF. Adios good bye. Im sure alot of ppl will too. RA players play RA for realism. We seek the feel of real combat, a simulation. What you cant do in real life, ZOOOOM you shouldnt be able to do in the game! Frankly I WISH I could zoom in real life, the beach would be soooo much better ;) However I think all the arguments you presented are opinions and one sided, although mine are the same in that sense they are shared by the majority, which means that if anyone wants to maintain some peace they should be heeded...

Hannibal is simply bringing points to what was a logical discussion. He merely reasons for the existance of the mutator. He's not here to convince you or anyone else that it's the one to be played or ignored. You, on the other hand, seem to be trying to silence things with the weight of an unseen majority.

Hear this now, RA and it's community was and will be a minority compared to the rest of inf. If the majority is what matters, there will be problems down the road.

As for zoom, it's merely an increase of visual resolution by definition. It made shooting too 'easy' in RA286. This is established. There are plenty of ways of balancing this out, and note I did not leave you with a zooming RAv2 that lacked such a balance. You haven't seen into the future for my possible rendition of the 'zoom', so I suggest you wait and see if I bring anything to the table.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
yurch said:
As for zoom, it's merely an increase of visual resolution by definition. It made shooting too 'easy' in RA286. This is established.
I disagree. The zoom doesn't make shooting any easier. It makes target aquisition a fair amount easier, but putting the bullets into the enemy is not easier due to the zoom. The ease of shooting in ra286 is due to the reduced weapon bob, weapon misalignment, and recoil. I am don't like the zoom much, but I don't hate it. I greatly dislike the reduced recoil and such though no matter what the "experts" say.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Those who like it will play it, those who don't won't. Why should we, the part of the community who regulary visit the forums, try to strangle an honest attempt to create something? There's a LOT of people who play Infiltration that never come to to these forums because they think that it's populated with fanatical RA players only. In a way they are right and this thread in a way proves it. They say they get smacked down whenever they try to offer their opinion on the game, just like the comments here. ".....it should either die or be severely changed". As an example. A lot of people are not as vocal as others and sometimes it can be good to take a step back and consider what others might want too, not just what we, the "fanatical RA players", want. If you don't like it, don't play it. Simple as that.

Maybe RA286 can be what the vanilla players need to get into the "real" RA. We won't know unless we at least give it a chance. I'm not saying I like RA286, or that I will play it more than I already have. I'm just fighting for it's right to exist, just like I will fight for the right for RAv2 to exist. Should someone come to the conclusion that RA should die, I will be there kicking and screaming on it's behalf too.

[C22]-SpOOky

Inf Old-Timer
Oct 22, 2002
England
spooky.c-22.org
Ive been playing inf for over 3 years .. and 1 thing ive seen is people have forgoten inf is suposed to be fun

I play vanilla inf still and ive also played RA ... my main problem with RA is the stamina .. i belive it drains too fast .

However 1 thing that really sucks about infiltration is the division in the community .. instead of living side by side shareing views maybe even visiting eachothers world from time to time .. instead its like a warzone .. except instead of weapons people use insults and abuse
Flameing eachother rarther than allowing people to express their views
Insulting gameplay u dont like is imature and not at all constructive

With such a small (ever shrinking) community it would be nice if the official infiltration forum was a place All infiltration players felt they could come and discuss the game in a constructive manner

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
RA286 should exsist. I don't like it much anymore because of some of the ways the features are implemented and not because of bugs (I do understand the difference between release and beta). If people want to play with it so be it. I just choose not to play on that server as much.

Same with vanilla inf. I don't like it. Many people do. Fine. No problem. Its the choice I decided to make and I will not ridicule you for your choice and you won't for mine.

My biggest problem is when vanilla players come onto an RA server and complain for hour about everything. Shut up and leave. I will admit I have not seen this happen in 3 or 4 months. Some new players have tried it out and actually wanted to give a fair chance. Those are the ones we welcome.

LIGHTFIGHTER

11B3H AFA MEMBER
Jul 9, 2002
MOTORCITY
Visit site

Once again I see a Ripple in the community

Facts

o Yurch is too busy working on 2.9 testing and RL stuff to do anything with RAv2 which he has stated

o RA286 has some good concepts in it

o RA PLAYERS should be making suggestions of what they like and don't like instead of telling Yurch what he should do

Nuff said

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
Actually LIGHTFIGHTER people have been making suggestions and yes some have been implemented ie stdfov switch and for that I am thankfull.

Part of the problem is that they don't post any of their comments so we don't know if we are being heard. There may be a very valid reason for this. I just don't know.

Also some of the changes suggested may very well go directly against whatever they wish the final mutator to be.

Understanding that some of the things I would like to chance is actually a bug or about to chance here are some of the things I would like to see done.

1) Some wish zoom, or whatever its called, dead. I would perfer if its only available when aiming. I fully understand the reasons for having it on but I believe it goes to far when available at all times.

2) Bleeding out. I am not talking about the well known bugs but the very weird critical hits. Several times last night I bleed out because of a "minor" wound such as brushing against fire, barb wire, a fall that would nornally be no problem. Am not sure what the parameters for this is but its a tad weird.

3) Simply put I prefer the recoil and misalignment of the old RA.

4) I do hope the death screams are a work in progress.

5) Not a request but a comment ~ Never used it but the manual reload on the Robar is nice. Also the change to the shot gun is appreciated.

6) As for the climbing I am still not sure. I think I will wait and see about this one.

My biggest problem is the bleed out at this point.

LIGHTFIGHTER is correct about yurch. Leave him alone. I would rather have him working on 2.9 then come in here and defend himself. What would you rather have yurch commenting on RA or finishing 2.9 sooner?

Last edited:

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Here's an idea... if you don't like 286, why don't you get your **** together like Duke did and produce your own version?