AS-Robotfactory ut2k4 bot frustration

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gandor

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I know - this one's over 10 years old. Some games just don't seem to age. lol
Anyway, I'm not a developer and so could use a nudge in the right direction. There's just one thing I'd like to tweak if possible.
On this particular assault map, no matter what order I give the bots, there's always 2 or 3 that ignore it and follow me around. I'm trying to tell them all to assault the base, but they ignore the order and continue say "I've got your back", follow me around, and proceed to do nothing, the little pansies.
Anyway, is there an easy way to change that behavior in the Unreal editor or something?
I'm willing to do my homework and find the fix, but I need to know where to start.

Thanks!

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Right below the forum title is the description: "Discussion relating to the newly announced "Unreal Tournament", a crowdsourced and community driven, brand new entry in the Unreal Tournament series. (Epic will be reading this forum for suggestions)"

Emphasis mine. :)

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Thread moved.

Also, I have no idea what to suggest, that's really weird that certain amounts of bots will always ignore your suggestion as that's not normal behavior.

Gandor

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Al and JohnDoe! I'll try to be a little more observant going forward. :p

My current line of thinking is that there's a Boolean switch somewhere in the map that determines whether or not the bots follow the commands of the human. Just trying to find in the editor where that might be. Does that sound reasonable?

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Thanks Al and JohnDoe! I'll try to be a little more observant going forward. :p

My current line of thinking is that there's a Boolean switch somewhere in the map that determines whether or not the bots follow the commands of the human. Just trying to find in the editor where that might be. Does that sound reasonable?

Unlikely You *could* find UnrealScriptedSequences giving MOVETOPLAYER orders, but I didn't find any such thing in the ScriptedTriggers or Scripted Sequences, of which all but one are simple camping spots. There is the possibility of more complex scriptwork, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it since there is basically 0 reason for the level designer to include such a thing.

On the other hand, I've had problems back in 2004/2005 on older machines, where, if I ever asked bots to cover me, at least one or two would then always disregard any subsequent order to defend or attack to cover me. Incidentally, I've had no problems for a long time after getting a much more powerful comp. That sounds more like a fault in the AI system itself than a problem in the map.

Gandor

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Hmmm...alright. I'll chalk it down to AI then. The laptop I'm playing it on is probably about a 2007 model...an old retired business laptop.
I think I was on the right track with where I was looking at least...I had found my way to the ScriptedTriggers. lol
Thanks for checking into it, Hellkeeper.

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
Well, in invasion at least, bots default to "I've got your back" if they can not carry out their orders, such as holding a position. Putting them somewhere that is not near a path node or if they are simply too close together will also cause them to revert. Maybe that's related to what's happening.

Gandor

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
A little update:
@Hellkeeper - that may have possibly helped me. I typically always tell bots to attack from the beginning. I've been trying to give the command as quickly as possible after the initial spawn, and it seems that may have helped. I think that if I can get [v][3][3][1] typed in very quickly off the draw, then they follow that. If they attach themselves to me before that happens, then I'm out of luck. I noticed that it usually varies between 1 and 3 bots that do that, so I think it all depends on where I spawn.
still trying to confirm the consistency on that theory.
Another strange fact is that all the other assault maps don't have any problems like that; just this one.
Anywho, I think I'm going to poke around with the map programming and figure out if I can spawn myself in another location away from the bots. Then I should easily be able to test the theory.
Thanks again.