TF2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Soldiers weren't the problem. It was all the Demoman! Seriously, every game I played I ended up against a wall of grenades and sticky bombs.

I haven't played the game in quite some time. Perhaps I'll give it another shot with this patch.

[xF]PR3D470R

My Vengeance Is Everlasting
Jan 20, 2004
KC
Medics are easy but you have to know what you are doing, or else you'll probably just make your teammates angry. You really need to use the voice chat if you play medic. Scout is pretty straight forward with his "shotgun", pistol, and double-jumping...he also counts as 2 people if standing on a capture point. Soldier would be another decent choice for starting out. More health than the scout and your standard issue rocket launcher and shotgun, he's really slow though.

I played a lot of the spy when I started out. You can go out on your own and don't have to worry much about teamwork. Though I started playing during the beta when spies were easy to play and it wasn't too hard to fool the enemy. Nowadays though, everyone (engineers and pyros in particular) are very paranoid and "spy-check" a lot.

Just keep an eye on teammates to see what they're doing. Where they're running, shooting, setting up sentries, etc...

Scout sounds like a winner to me, similar to the tech in XMP it sounds like.

Thanks for the advice :):tup:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Well, I think scouts are pretty strong. The random crits are a pretty good equalizer in this game, and with the scout it can be fun to run circles around people and bash them with your t-ball bat. :D If a scout gets close to you it is pretty dangerous, I'd say. That scatter gun will do a number on you from up close.

My most used class is soldier because I'm basically too dumb to use other classes.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
I'm thinking about giving this game a go next week (I've had the Orange Box since November). Any good advice to try and dull the learning curve?
Start as the soldier. The class is the closest to traditional DM gameplay. Usual rocket launcher rules apply: aim for feet, use splash damage. Just remember to be *always* reloading.

Soldiers weren't the problem. It was all the Demoman! Seriously, every game I played I ended up against a wall of grenades and sticky bombs.
You can dislodge and shove pipe-bombs out of the way by simply shooting them. At first it feels risky and unpredictable, but after a while you start noticing scenarios where you can safely disarm a pipebomb trap.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
"He won't be able to hit you with a rocket from a medium distance."

Obviously this scout "pro" hasn't met a worthwhile soldier throughout his play, as medium range is where I get most of my kills on scouts! :eek:

Seriously, the soldier who still uses shotgun up close in that vid is a surefire sign that the kid hasn't played any form of Quake/Unreal game ever, not to mention why isn't he JUMPING?
I believed that the promo videos Valve made with the jumping soldiers was enough to point out the effect of bouncing rocketslingers,but apparently not.

*Sigh* Has it really become so bad that we need tutorials on how to whack first-day newbies these days?

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY

LedZep

k last title kinda gay :p
quick question about TF2

I got a 2.6 ghz dualcore intel, 9600 radeon standard edition, 1gig ddr1 ram, would I be able to run this game at 1280*960, 75Hz, with all settings low (except for player textures maybe?) at around 40 FPS average? (not go below 15 ever)

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Jackal and I went ahead and got a TF2 Server running. It's a 16 slot server located in Chicago, Illinois and hosted by Art of War Central.

Right now it's pretty much stock setup, I have metamod and sourcemod installed so I can do some admin consoley stuff. Respawn timer is instant, but that can be changed. I'll be looking to set up map rotation and things of that nature in the next few days.

Please, feel free to join up and try it out!

EDIT: Oh, and if there are any issues feel free to hit me up in PM or on IRC in #fragbu or #bufunite or #beyondunreal. I'll have access to the server while I'm at work so I should be able to take care of stuff.

Last edited:

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
Jackal and I went ahead and got a TF2 Server running. It's a 16 slot server located in Chicago, Illinois and hosted by Art of War Central.

Right now it's pretty much stock setup, I have metamod and sourcemod installed so I can do some admin consoley stuff. Respawn timer is instant, but that can be changed. I'll be looking to set up map rotation and things of that nature in the next few days.

Please, feel free to join up and try it out!

EDIT: Oh, and if there are any issues feel free to hit me up in PM or on IRC in #fragbu or #bufunite or #beyondunreal. I'll have access to the server while I'm at work so I should be able to take care of stuff.
i've added it to my favorites :)

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Could I suggest at least 4 seconds respawn?

Instant = Poo!

It's configurable and takes place immediately. I set it to instant because there were like 4 of us on the server last night. With full load, I'd recommend 4-5 seconds.