Doom 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Jul 22, 2000
Romulan said:
There are a lot of reasons to stay with 98. If maintained well, it is fairly stable and is easily the most software compatible Windows.

All of this is irrelevant since it isn't getting any Doom3 love.

Romulan

Holding on
Jun 4, 2004
home.fuse.net
ShadowKi][er said:
All of this is irrelevant since it isn't getting any Doom3 love.

It may still if this simply means 98/ME are not supported. Besides, Doom 3 is not the be all, end all game so it is far from irrelevant.

And if the title track is any indication, the soundtrack isn't going to be anything special.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Doom 3 won't be the only game not working on Windows 98. Expect many more games in the future to have no support since Microsoft no longer supports windows 98 anymore.

Chaser

Boi BOI!!!!
Mar 16, 2004
NeoNite said:
You know, doom/doom2 has a fast option.
Some monsters move twice as fast, they all react faster.. the projectiles travel twice as fast (I think).

Try playing doom with the -fast option. It's quite fun :O)

And when you really want to experience "hell unleashed", try the "nightmare mode".

Nightmare mode is CrAzY! Everything respawns and everything moves faster (especially pinky!!! eek) Its hard as **** playing nightmare... you literally have to run through the level shooting at anything that gets in your way.

Ebgames somtimes ships out early once they get their shipment. They did it for a few games (cant remember names) and people who preordered got their copys almost a full week in advance. Thats why I ordered from EB.

The soundtrack is going to be awsome, they already announced Tool is doing an exclusive song, and i think that doom.mp3 on the website is Tool, it sounds a lot like them. Tool kicks so much ass.

No, Tool the band... not that other guy with the big sigs... :)

Chaser

Boi BOI!!!!
Mar 16, 2004
Anyone remember in Doom 2 fighting the final boss and how you could use idclip and walk through the wall to see John Romeros head? Well I played that level again... and the boss says something when you enter the level, I read that if you record what he says, and play it backwards.. he says this:

"To win the game you must kill me, John Romero".

I thought that was pretty cool, I never new about that for all these years.

Damn I'm board.... I NEED DOOM 3!!!

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Chaser said:
Nightmare mode is CrAzY! Everything respawns and everything moves faster (especially pinky!!! eek) Its hard as **** playing nightmare... you literally have to run through the level shooting at anything that gets in your way.

There are some demos of people managing to complete the entire game in nightmare mode.
Needs a lot of planning, apparently! :O)

Doom2 lmps

There are demo's on that page, a few nightmare runs.
One is called Doom2nm -> levels 1-13
Other one is called nm100s -> all levels, all secrets. Better wait watching this one, could spoil a lot.

I know I have another nightmare run in my doom2 folder, I'll look up the name.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Ultra Quality is the cream of the crop for DOOM 3. In Ultra Quality nothing is compressed. Normal maps, and specular and diffuse lighting are all displayed at full resolution with no compression. Because of this, there is a tremendous amount of texture data needed on the video card, upwards of 500MB. While it will run on lesser cards, you may experience hitching or pausing due to the graphics card having to swap textures in and out of its memory buffer. That is why this setting is recommended for 512MB video cards. There is nothing stopping you from trying this quality setting if you want to, just keep in mind that the memory load is huge.

:eek:

here is Doom 3 on a Geforce 4 MX card. This is without pixel shading. It looks amazing huh?

after reading that whole article, i gotta give a :tup: to ID Software, for making what looks to be the best game engine so far. They have easily set the standard for first person shooters, and listened to fans and did everything possible to make sure Doom 3 will run well and look great on a low end gaming PC. They delievered perfectly. Many people thought that Doom 3 would be unplayable on a low end computer, and ID Software proved them wrong. Not only does it play great, it looks great too. I can't wait to see how amazing Doom 3 will look on the Xbox later this year.

1090787143TO62AMOEWX_4_12_l.jpg

Last edited:

Chaser

Boi BOI!!!!
Mar 16, 2004
I was amazed reading that [H]ardocp article. While playing Doom 3, it'll be pretty hard to tell the difference between low quality and high quality. This will really please my friend with a Gforce 4 ti4200 and 1.6 ghz system.

Id, I love you.

4 days 11 hours 46 minutes and 36 seconds!!!!!!

Jul 22, 2000
MegaManInferno said:
Can anyone see the diffrence between High and UltraHigh settings? I cant, yet High runs faster.

There's a tiny bit of texture compression visible in High. It's really hard to notice though.

Jul 22, 2000
MegaManInferno said:
And impossable to notice when your auctually playing, not just staring at the game in awe.

Indeed. So much for waiting for a 512mb card. I'll probably pick up a 6800GT at some point.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Machismo said:
this is unbelievable amd athlon xp 1900+ and geforcefx5700 should run like a dream and here i thought i couldnt even buy doom3 because of the crap hardware :D

Doesnt that just make you excited? To me this is the best reason to own Doom 3, is because almost everyone is going to be able to play it. I have a very high end system, so i'll be able to run it on high quality atleast. Not Ultra High, because I dont have a 512mb video card, mine is only 256.

I've always been saying how games, especially first person shooters need to be made for low end systems in mind, and Doom 3 did that. Not even Unreal Tournament 2004 does it this well, its attempt at being playable for everyone is a pretty half ass attempt compared to what ID Software did.