Offical Pre-Alpha Build of Next UT Released!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Today Epic has released an official pre-alpha build of the next Unreal Tournament. This is not even in alpha state, is buggy, has placeholder textures and models, and is not finished in any way. Epic recommends that people not play it. However, if you don't feel like heeding that warning, you can go ahead and register on the official forums and then visit the official announcement thread, making sure to READ WHAT IT SAYS. That will lead you to the download for the playable game.

REMEMBER this is not a final product. If you play the release, DO NOT expect it to be perfect. Please provide feedback on the UT forums. If you stream or record it, make sure to note that this is a pre-alpha prototype and does not represent the final product. Same with posting screenshots. Almost all of the artwork is not final in this version of the game. Don't sell it as something it is not.

Now that all of that is out of the way, you probably want to play online... right? Well we have you covered there as well. Just come to the BeyondUnreal IRC channel where community member raxxy has graciously provided a number of servers to play the game on. I'm not going to lie, it is already really fun!

Lastly, Epic has let us know if we can hit 300 in our IRC channel that JoeWilcox (aka DrSin) will come answer questions in there. Invite everyone you know so we can have a little Q&A!

See you in game!

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Make sure Skold is one of the 300. This should be priceless.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
So i just did a search and my Dr. SiN posts are gone. Either deleted or on the old forum (he did fuck this game over that long ago, remember).

The oldest thing i can find is from 2005, which is ridiculous, because he released the first UT aimbot in 2000 - 2001.

Because he's the guy that released the first UT99 aimbot (remember how he got "fooled" into sending it to someone who wanted to help him develop an anti-cheat), and it was a total ploy to get a job at Epic. Then he made December. gg

He purposely shattered our community to get a job with Epic. The job was "anti-cheat", and he responded by making the shitty map called "December".

Obviously his swindling ways did not lead to any other gaming positions, and here he is now fucking with us. I, for one, cannot believe that anyone is falling for his shit again.

i'd love the opportunity to talk to him. Has always ignored me on irc/chat, or deleted any questions i had on his zombie movie forums.

i don't know what is worse at this point: either he is playing an important part in the future of UT, or that Brizz somehow believes him...

Last edited:

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Rare Skold double post!

holy fuck i let the thing run on, and of course he is in the credits. First with a special font! This is so stupid, i will be double posting it...

Have fun! http://vimeo.com/3691971

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Resurrected my old login (my join date merely being from when I finally stopped lurking and actually took to posting) to say . . .

so, where's the Linux build?

Ahhhhh, that felt good! That's a shot of pure nostalgia, right there.

But seriously now, really cool that UT is back, and really looking forward to playing this. And the current lack of a Linux build just makes me kinda chuckle. Does anyone know if it'll actually compile on Linux? I'd honestly be tempted to get an Unreal Engine subscription if the current codebase will compile.

Edited to add:

Going to try this build out. Does it have VR support?
I think so but it can only be enabled in the INI.

Hmm, that's quite interesting then too. I mean, the Occulus is really only entirely workable when you're either turning quite slowly or are in the cockpit of something, but do I want to play Unreal Tournament with my Rift anyways? Hells yeah.

Last edited:

M^uL

Nov 16, 2009
Resurrected my old login (my join date merely being from when I finally stopped lurking and actually took to posting) to say . . .

so, where's the Linux build?

Ahhhhh, that felt good! That's a shot of pure nostalgia, right there.

But seriously now, really cool that UT is back, and really looking forward to playing this. And the current lack of a Linux build just makes me kinda chuckle. Does anyone know if it'll actually compile on Linux? I'd honestly be tempted to get an Unreal Engine subscription if the current codebase will compile.

Edited to add:

Hmm, that's quite interesting then too. I mean, the Occulus is really only entirely workable when you're either turning quite slowly or are in the cockpit of something, but do I want to play Unreal Tournament with my Rift anyways? Hells yeah.

There is both a Linux server and client available with the latest build. You just have to be a member on the UT forums to access the "top secret" section.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Reading the UT forum is a bit of a repellant to registration, so i'm just gonna say this.

Fuck you gaming "journalism" you ruin everything

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Initially the game failed to load:

[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/VrXUwgH.png[/screenshot]

Tried manually launching by the terminal:

Code:
$ cd ++depot+UE4-UT-CL-2276868/
$ ls
MacNoEditor
$ cd MacNoEditor/
$ ls
UnrealTournament.app
$ cd UnrealTournament.app/
$ ls
Contents
$ cd Contents/
$ ls
Info.plist	MacOS		PkgInfo		Resources	UE4
$ cd MacOS/
$ ls
UnrealTournament	libfreetype.dylib	libogg.dylib		libtbb.dylib		libtbbmalloc.dylib	libvorbis.dylib
$ ./UnrealTournament

This “worked”—I’m now stuck at this screen with no mouse cursor:

[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/j3JdlcY.png[/screenshot]

Flipped to windowed mode rather than fullscreen and the game got my input. Did File > Create Local Game and was able to run around a map. Cool stuff.

Last edited: