German government bans LAN party over 'killer' games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
http://games.on.net/article/6429/German_government_bans_LAN_party_over_killer_games

German government bans LAN party over 'killer' games
By Jessica Citizen - Tue Jul 7, 2009 4:35pm

Perhaps because of the situation we're in here in Australia, we have a lot of sympathy for the Germans, who are facing some pretty extreme video game crackdowns. Following the news that various local governments are effectively banning violent video games, today we learn that a major gaming tournament, Convention-X-Treme, has been cancelled as a result.

Games to be played at CXT 14 included Counter-Strike and Warcraft, both of which are considered "killer" games under the new ruling.

The backlash at video games is a result of a high number of school shootings in the country, many of which have gone "unexplained". Many local governments, social groups and police officials have taken action to ban all "killer" games at LAN events - leading to the cancellation of multiple ESL Friday Night games, and now CXT. This is believed to be the first time a government has banned Counter-Strike to help curb the violence they're seeing.

CXT organisers and many attendees have gone on the record accusing the government and associated parties of "drastically overstepping the mark", and we hear the organisers are considering finding a new venue. At this stage, however, the event has been cancelled, and all ticket-holders will be given a full refund.

For more details, check out the Convention-X-Treme website (or, perhaps this handy Google translation), and stay tuned to Games On Net as we follow the German news closely, including updates on the various protests currently being organised by gamers affected by the bans.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Well, not really "banned". The organizers were forced to cancel the events due to contracts for the locations being retracted or "pseudo-public" pressure by the city council. That included several "parent LAN" events where parents were invited to try out the games their kids play and learn about the competitive side of these games.

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
Its funny cuz I don't remember the last time a Video Game of mine got out of its case, went into my closet, loaded and cocked my gun for me and then convinced me that going to school today and shooting up the place would be a good idea....Some one on here had the best antic dote about video game violence and the Amish....Basically the Amish can watch a cow or any animal for that matter get slaughtered in front of them and not even bat an eye as to what is going on...If a "Normal" ,for lack of a better term, person form the suburbs witness the same event I am sure they would be mortified about it and call the SPCA or the Johnnie Cochran/Al Sharpton for animals

Mar 6, 2004
If this became a global thing, i wonder how big a world wide riot will be?

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of their people"

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
this whole ting is so ridiculous. we already get all the games cut...
but yea. blaming computergames for school shootings is easy, so they do it. i bet most of our politicans cant even turn on a computer, let alone have ever seen a computer game.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
this whole ting is so ridiculous. we already get all the games cut...
but yea. blaming computergames for school shootings is easy, so they do it. i bet most of our politicans cant even turn on a computer, let alone have ever seen a computer game.

They probably burned all the "how to be a politician and worry about bigger things" books.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Its funny cuz I don't remember the last time a Video Game of mine got out of its case, went into my closet, loaded and cocked my gun for me and then convinced me that going to school today and shooting up the place would be a good idea....Some one on here had the best antic dote about video game violence and the Amish....Basically the Amish can watch a cow or any animal for that matter get slaughtered in front of them and not even bat an eye as to what is going on...If a "Normal" ,for lack of a better term, person form the suburbs witness the same event I am sure they would be mortified about it and call the SPCA or the Johnnie Cochran/Al Sharpton for animals

You are taking this thread way too seriously and making such awful analogies(If you can call them that) that you are make me sypathize with the Germans... and i'm English!!!

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Haha die Germany!
keincounterstrickenvers.jpg

Last edited:

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
World of warcraft is retarded. when you hit a badguy or another player the swords do not collide with the other players body. often enough in those type of games, it ****ting the air and somehow harming the other player.

Then theres the whole magic element in which some retard throws on a cloak and causes lightning or something equally retarded.

Its retarded.

germany is retarded.

did i mention, this ****s retarded?

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
It's funny because I used to look up to Europe for their open-mindedness. When I went to Italy I was in love with how responsible everyone was compared to America. Maybe Germany is a different story.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
World of warcraft is retarded. when you hit a badguy or another player the swords do not collide with the other players body. often enough in those type of games, it ****ting the air and somehow harming the other player.

Then theres the whole magic element in which some retard throws on a cloak and causes lightning or something equally retarded.

Its retarded.

germany is retarded.

did i mention, this ****s retarded?

Two things i don't understand!

1. Why people would play an MMO, or more specifically WoW, on a lan...
and
2. How you managed to mindlessly dribble all over your keyboard in such a way that you managed to type actual words in recognisable sentences.

Last edited: