How are Cable modem's??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Darwin16

Dec 7, 1999
Visit site
One thing to look out for with cable modems is that some cable companies are only offering downstream service, and upstream still uses an analog modem. For example, on mine, the cable modem has a built in modem, I still have to dial in (and get busy signals), and upstream is only about 33.6. REALLY plays hell with online gameplay.

The cable company had once said they'd have bidirectional service in October. It's Adelphia (formerly Cablevision) of Loudon, for any of you Northern VA gamers out there.

Suicide_King

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
Yeah well I considered ADSL, but right now they don't have it in my area. Which to me in kind of suprising cause I live in a pretty populated area. Anyway Cable for me is only 30 bucks a month, the cheapest DSL I've seen is 50! That wasn't even ADSL. I'm going with cable for now. I may switch in the future. Right now though price is my primary concern and cable is WAY cheaper!

JF

Nov 13, 1999
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
People were mentioning security issues with cable. One way to make yourself more secure with cable is to 1.Remove NETBeui and 2. Make sure that your ethernet card is not bound to "Client for Microsoft Networks". To do this double click on your ethernet's TCP/IP settings, click on the "bindings" tab and uncheck the box next to "Client for Microsoft Networks". Anyone else with tips?

prettyh8machine

Dec 1, 1999
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Visit site
Not all @home is capped... mine sure as hell isnt... but dont think that im a big fan of @home... they do have problems... the modem "craps" out every once in a while
or some days you get a slow connection...
but like ppl say, ANYTHING IS BETTER THEN DIAL UP!