Terrain editing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I'm learning to use terrain and edit it. I've built a room, placed a terrain actor, created some nice rolling hills and a couple of mountains. They show fine in the editor but when I throw in a playerstart and try to play test it the terrain will not show in the room. Back in the ed it is still there though. Any ideas what setting I've neglected/screwed up? TIA!

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
If you're using stock textures for the terrain layers, I'd say you didn't put the heighmap and alphamaps in the mylevel package like you should. Never put them in an external package, if the editor crashes you'll lose all that work.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Angel, I'm a bit confused by the "mylevel" term that I keep reading about. I was actually cribbing off of your tutorials, but that part I'm not quite clear on. Is "mylevel" a catch-all of sorts that the ed is aware of, or is the term "mylevel" a stand-in for the actual "name" for the level.
For example do I save the terrain layer as "mylevel" or "gopostal's mapname"? And if I do save it as "gopostal's mapname", is that considered an "external package"?
BTW, great website. Your tutorials are direct and easy to follow.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Save them in the package mylevel. Mylevel is a special package. Any custom textures or meshes etc that are put in mylevel (and used in the map somewhere) are saved inside the map file, so you don't need to save them separately and don't need to include extra files with your map when you release it.

This is especially important for terrain, since if the editor crashes you can find the most recent AutoSave file in your maps directory and you won't lose that much work on the terrain. Also, if you put them in mylevel, it keeps you from forgetting to save the external texture package when you close the editor.