Impact Hammer Alt Fire - Air Burst for new UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[GU]elmur_fud;2609364 said:
I should hope you are not opposed to trying anything out. The implications of otherwise do not speak well for you. Bad ideas should sink on there own, good ideas should swim. That in between that barely treads water should be obvious and easily skimmed off.
I am opposed to trying out cover mechanics. There is probably a wide range of things I have no interest in even trying in UT :)

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I should hope you are not opposed to trying anything out. The implications of otherwise do not speak well for you. Bad ideas should sink on there own, good ideas should swim. That in between that barely treads water should be obvious and easily skimmed off.

Add handstands, farting, and pet training to Unreal Tournament.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I am opposed to trying out cover mechanics. There is probably a wide range of things I have no interest in even trying in UT :)

Perhaps you simply mean that you don't like something and don't think it will work. But stating an objection to even entertaining a notion that you may object to, for the sheer sake of being fair and/or seeing if you are right or wrong about it, is a totalitarian mindset. It is the adult version of stomping your feet to get your own way.

A bit preachy for the tone of this thread sure, but you have a lot of influence in the community... anyway. I digress.

Add handstands, farting, and pet training to Unreal Tournament.

... Bad ideas should sink on there own...
I think that may fall into that category.

It is however a good example of what I am on about. Because if a significant % of people think it should be tried, then it should, regardless of whether I think you were just badly trying to troll this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closer to topic: This just makes good sense in the context of real world physics, while still being a little crazy and over the top. So to me it sounds like it would be a good fit for a UT game. Maybe scale the effect based on your proximity to a surface. I.E. less of an effect if you are over a gap or hole. Basically simulating how physics work in the real world.

Apr 11, 2006
[GU]elmur_fud;2609382 said:
Perhaps you simply mean that you don't like something and don't think it will work. But stating an objection to even entertaining a notion that you may object to, for the sheer sake of being fair and/or seeing if you are right or wrong about it, is a totalitarian mindset. It is the adult version of stomping your feet to get your own way.

Stop being a drama instigator.

I like the Impact Hammer idea and as far as I'm concerned this is how it always should have worked when it comes to projectiles. The question is all on the technical side given the implementation of projectiles in UT.

The extra jump boosting is a fair idea but it will need to be considered in relation to primary hammer jumps.

An idea that I've been mulling is the implementation in UT3 of the piston primary / electromagnetic secondary. What I'm seeing is Hold Primary + Tap Secondary to perform an air blast (as suggested), while secondary retains the EMP charge. The flip side of that is Hold Secondary + Tap Primary to shoot out some rock-grabbing device and electromagnetically pull yourself to them.

That might be a little bit too crazy but I like the idea of primary for push motions and secondary for pull motions, giving you some movement options either way.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[GU]elmur_fud;2609382 said:

A bit preachy for the tone of this thread sure, but you have a lot of influence in the community... anyway. I digress.
I mean that there are obvious mechanics that don't need to be tried in the game because they don't fit the style. There is also a distinguishing line between a movement focused game and a game that focuses on other things.

So, yeah, I guess I am opposed to some things simply on principle. I don't want UT to become a movement heavy game. It's never been about that, even in 2kX days, and I don't want it to become that now.

That being said, I'm not opposed to trying most mechanics and seeing what it would take to balance them keeping in mind what I said just previous to this :p

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Holy drama queen hijack, Batman.

I dig it. Posted on the official forums. Got me to thinking....

How would you feel about an alt fire that silences you?

So like, we all know about the pro level sound tracking, especially after the rolloff debates, etc. What if while charging the hammer alt, it silenced you? No pickup noises, no footsteps, or jump sounds. I really like the powerup push EMP, and if it did this, it would have much more potential. Powerups make most players glow, if not invisible, so to stalk them as such, making yourself inaudible, would be useful, and relatively balanced, since you sacrifice all but one offensive possibility in doing so.

I would be totally okay with it doing all of the above.

Tap primary: short concussive blast.
Charge primary: noisy, massive concussive blast, discharged on contact.
Tap alt: Parry incoming fire.
Tap alt in air: propels you 180° from fire vector. Can still parry fire.
Charge alt: Silencing, pushing blast which drops powerups, discharged on contact.

Basically, unless you have ground friction, it would have "kick." Have to be careful if they include a crouch slide. With enough friction, it might not be massively problematic, but it would already be pretty impressive what you could do with unlimited wall kicks, and a crouch slide, let alone something to propel you more when you don't have crazy friction.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Stop being a drama instigator...

First of all I wasn't. The way I read it, it came across as way over-bearing.

Secondly
ZFzYZX2.gif