Two mutator ideas, how hard would scripting these be?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

These good ideas for UT mutators?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ForteMP3

Aug 3, 2000
USA
www.swordbreaker.com
I've had a couple UT DM/TDM mutator ideas recently, and I was wondering how hard scripting something along these lines would be.

Idea #1-Damage Scoring
Okay, how often have you had someone in an arena ready to die, just to have someone jump in and finish them off before that last rocket or flak shell hits? Though it's all part of the game, I always felt this rule could use some changes at times:Hence what I call Damage Scoring-It's not if you frag or not, it's how much pain you give! How this idea would work, basically, would be this:Scoring would be determined by damage inflicted (in other words, health lost from attacks) instead of by frags. This means if you were able to say, take 90 percent of someone's health, you'd get 90 points. If someone came in and finished them off, they'd only get credit for 10 percent health since that's all they had left. Perhaps a small bonus could be given to people who do 100% or more to one specific target (in other words, frag them before someone else does!)

Idea #2-Threat Scoring
Don't you hate it when someone gets the lead by picking on the newly spawned enforcer carrying wimps? Nothing says pain like running down a hall you just spawned from, just to be greeted by a point blank Flak shell. Well, this idea would change all that. I call this 'Threat Scoring!' How does it work? Well, as items are picked up (weapons, armor, extra health) a player's 'threat' goes up. When a player has a higher threat level, they're worth more points. Now, this could bring about the question of what happens if one player does damage to an enemy, leaving them near death, then someone else finishes the job. Well, what I had in mind was this:Whenever you engage someone, their threat value is displayed, and so long as you keep engaging them, you'll get points based on that value. Now let's say you were in a firefight with someone, and someone else comes in a bit later, then the other person would get a threat value based on the threat of the enemy when they engaged them, not when you first did.
It seems kind of confusing, I know, but I guess what I'm saying is it'd be nice to have points awarded based on how tough it was to get that frag.
So what exactly would determine threat, and to what extent?
(Note-Weapon threat is larger if you have ammo, a loaded redeemer will GREATLY increase threat, but one without ammo will have a much lower threat, threat level listed assumes weapon is loaded)
Health-When engaged, initial health at time to engagement determines threat value for this stat, this value will not change during combat once it has been set. (in other words, threat doesn't go down as health does)
Armor-Same as health.
Stealth-Would add a moderate amount to threat value.
Damage Amp-Would add a massive amount to threat value.
Shield Belt-Would add a moderate amount to threat value.
(Or add to armor level, not sure yet)
Jump Boots-Would add a small amount to threat value.
Enforcer-Adds nothing to threat value.
Bullets-Threat based on bullets in stock, value is increased if carrying a minigun.
Bio Rifle-Adds a small amount to threat value.
Bio Ammo-Threat based on ammo in stock.
Shock Rifle-Adds a moderate amount to threat value.
Shock Cores-Work like other ammo threat values.
Pulse Gun-Adds a moderate amount to threat.
Pulse Ammo-Like all other ammo.
Rocket Launcher-Adds a large amount to threat value.
Flak Rifle-Adds alarge amount to threat value.
Flak Shells-Same as all ammo.
Ripper-Adds a moderate amount to threat.
Razor Blades-Like all other ammo.
Sniper Rifle-Adds a large amount to threat value.
Sniper Ammo-Like all ammo except bullets!
Redeemer-Adds a TON of threat.
Redeemer Ammo-Adds a lot to threat, and of course, needed to make Redeemer a threat.

So, what do you guys think? These sound like good mutator ideas? They possible? (Well, I'm sure they are...)

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001
thats a good idea,i was thinking the same thing (about idea #1) at first after my brother got asherons call,things work that way in the game as far as claiming kills go (you didnt get score,you would get items from the corpse) and i think UO worked the same way,but i never thought about it until you posted this,both ideas are great and for #1 perhaps the score should be this way:a point is given to the one that does the most damage when the player dies,rather then having the person get score for hurting,although that will cause the problem that if the player commits suicide it will think that he simply commits suicide therefor the person that done 99 damage should not get credit because it is inferier to the instant 99999 damage that is dealt by the damage zone

like i said, both ideas would be great

ForteMP3

Aug 3, 2000
USA
www.swordbreaker.com
Well...about #1

My idea for scoring mod #1 (Damage Scoring) would award points when damage was inflicted, not when a frag was scored. In other words, if you nailed someone with a flak blast and got 50 percent of their health, you would get 50 points. If someone else got him later with a pulse gun bolt, and took away 40 percent, they'd get 40 points. Finally, if someone fragged the guy with the enforcer, assuming he got no health back between all this, that person would be awarded 10 points. Thus, people that steal a kill would get points, but not nearly as much as the person who did the most damage. As for suicides/self damage:The player would lose points based on their self inflicted damage. (If they suicide, they would lose all their health, and the points they represent)
My only question on this idea would be if only a percent of your points should be lost based on self damage. In other words, if you suicided with 50 health left, should you maybe lose only a fraction of that in points? 10, or perhaps 25?

Mod #2's 'threat scoring' would probably only be based on items and weapons held, managing to keep track of health when different players attack someone would probably be fairly difficult.
Another way this could work could be a 'your threat vs enemy threat' mode. IE:Your threat level and your enemy's threat level are calculated to determine how tough of a kill you made. Chances are though that if I ever did this mutator, the threat comparison would be an optional feature. Suicides would probably be some kind of preset score, or perhaps it could be based on threat as well.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Interesting ideas.....
About #1, It doesn't matter how much damage you do..all that matters you kill the guy. If you take a guy down to 10% health he can still kill you, but if he's dead.......(well unless you walk into grendaes he spammed b4 dieing)
#2 Let's say we're playing 1 vs 1..with your superior map knowledge you keep getting denying me weapons and I'm stuck with a dinky enforcer all the time and you're getting less points for a frag. All of a sudden I go luck out and kill you while you're holding the RL a couple of times and win the match even tho you killed me more often.
Just thought I'd throw that in and hear your thoughts on that. :D

Last edited:

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001
Re: Well...about #1

Originally posted by ForteMP3
My idea for scoring mod #1 (Damage Scoring) would award points when damage was inflicted, not when a frag was scored. In other words, if you nailed someone with a flak blast and got 50 percent of their health, you would get 50 points. If someone else got him later with a pulse gun bolt, and took away 40 percent, they'd get 40 points. Finally, if someone fragged the guy with the enforcer, assuming he got no health back between all this, that person would be awarded 10 points. Thus, people that steal a kill would get points, but not nearly as much as the person who did the most damage. As for suicides/self damage:The player would lose points based on their self inflicted damage. (If they suicide, they would lose all their health, and the points they represent)
My only question on this idea would be if only a percent of your points should be lost based on self damage. In other words, if you suicided with 50 health left, should you maybe lose only a fraction of that in points? 10, or perhaps 25?

Mod #2's 'threat scoring' would probably only be based on items and weapons held, managing to keep track of health when different players attack someone would probably be fairly difficult.
Another way this could work could be a 'your threat vs enemy threat' mode. IE:Your threat level and your enemy's threat level are calculated to determine how tough of a kill you made. Chances are though that if I ever did this mutator, the threat comparison would be an optional feature. Suicides would probably be some kind of preset score, or perhaps it could be based on threat as well.

about #1,the host of the game should decide how much he loses health otherwise,make it full amount :p,not many suicides happen to non-aimboters.

about #2,if someone is good with enforcers then his threat level would be low, however he would be a big threat to anyone he sees,it takes only about 3 shots to the head to kill someone with the enforcer,otherwise,it just sucks