UE3 - UT3 Thinking about joining UT3 modding community

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

stupidknight

Mar 23, 2008
Hi,

Just got registered so I wanted to say Hi.
This dude named AcidSphinx really got me concerned about joining up and starting to code, and also the discussion regarding small community, but I'm hoping this isn't true!

Anyways, what's up!

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
What kind of skills do you bring to the community? As far as I can tell, several teams are looking for coders, mappers, modelers, graphics artists and so on.
It may be true that the UT3 modding community isn't as active as one may hope. However, if you like the game and want to contribute, then by all means do it. There are still enough players who like to see quality and fun mods.

Leonardo

Old fart on top the mountain.....
Hi,

Just got registered so I wanted to say Hi.
This dude named AcidSphinx really got me concerned about joining up and starting to code, and also the discussion regarding small community, but I'm hoping this isn't true!

Anyways, what's up!

Yes well, (Cough) Welcome. I've got a small team of trusted and experinced members in the community but we do lack in one cruicial area. "coder" We're a bad need of one for the UT3 area, if you think you fit the bill? IM me on msn and thru here as well for that matter.

stupidknight

Mar 23, 2008
What kind of skills do you bring to the community? As far as I can tell, several teams are looking for coders, mappers, modelers, graphics artists and so on.
It may be true that the UT3 modding community isn't as active as one may hope. However, if you like the game and want to contribute, then by all means do it. There are still enough players who like to see quality and fun mods.

Well, I'm a webdes.. just kidding, I'm a coder.

I've been looking around, reading up some and took a look at the reversed code in UnrealEd. It does look a bit tricky, but as all OO languages one just have to learn the language.

Anyway, I've decided to start off my project as soon as I get home from vacation, and before I ask for help I'd like something to show. I'll do a proof-of-concept mod before I start yappering. Great fun, cya all.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Best way to get into modding is to play around with the existing classes and learn hot to code. Try starting off simple like mutators or such just to get the feel of compiling UnrealScript at your own pace.

If you want to join a team that's already doing a big total conversion mod, make sure you're joining as "one of the coders" instead of "lead coder". Because you do not need to be overwhelmed when you're first starting out. And don't be afraid to ask the other coders on the team for advice and programming help. I began doing basic mutators just to play around and then helped out doing the weapons for a TC mod, so getting a little experience at a time build up to having a lot of experience.

Don't worry about the community size or the game's popularity, the main reason you'd want to do a mod because it's fun.