Mark Rein "Excited for Unreal Tournament Comeback"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Howdy strangers!

We all know how comments can be misinterpreted, but our good friend Mark Rein, head-chieftan at Epic Games, seems pretty clear in his tweet:

"I love #Unreal Tournament - so excited for the comeback! ... More next week!"

Barring anything tragic -- like Unreal Tournament mobile edition -- I'm completely down for a reboot. I can't wait to see what announcement is coming next week.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
As long it's not mobile/console/free2play/microtransactions/seasonpass driven undertaking, I'm excited.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
jeff.jpg

I still have nightmares to this very day......

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Screw UT. Unreal 3 please. Would like sp+coop like Unreal1 and xmp like Unreal 2, but of course, it's wishful thinking to expect that in this day and age from the likes of Epic.

This. But hey, as long as there is something, I'll be happy.

It's funny, just yesterday I was like "hey, my UT3 vehicle backport to UT2004 mod is progressing nicely, but I don't want to think about what would happen if UT4 was released with the same amount of content", and lo and behold...

Oh, also: https://twitter.com/PaulMeegan/statuses/462341620634238976

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
I hope this doesn't mean people get the bare bones of a game with the mission to complete it themselves. Because I sense something like that in the pipes.
Everybody on a hypetrain for huge disappointment
My thought exactly. Tchoo tchoo, all aboard and try not to think this will get in the same basket as UT3!

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Heh. Cliffy leaves and now they want to do a new UT? Sure ok guys.

While I wouldn't be surprised if they go the TF2 model with this, I'm definitely expecting it to be optimized for consoles. I know the pendulum is swinging back to PC right now, but unless Epic is self-publishing I expect we'll see a console version.

This announcement should also have information on their Gamespy replacement they're working on internally since the timing lines up with what Mark said regarding a reveal for that.

Other than that, cautiously optimistic but I've got my ticket for the disappointment train ready.

EDIT:

Is it some collaboration with the Open tournament chaps maybe?

It'd be funny if this is the project Cliffy's been working on independently.

Last edited: