UE3 - General U2GemExport - Unreal2 Golem (*.gem) mesh/animation exporter to psk/psa.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Unreal2 Golem (*.gem) mesh/animation exporter to psk/psa.
------------------------
This is a fully worked commandline application written in C++ to export any Unreal2 Golem mesh/animation to psk/psa file format.

INSTALL
-------
Extract the contents of this RAR file to a Unreal2\Meshes directory on your PC;

Or...

Create a folder and then select/drag the content into the new folder - update commandline as well...

NOTES
-----
Don't expect that exported animations will be the same as ingame - not because of exporter (exported meshes/animations are 100/100 the same as in the Golem files), but because of the way the Golem Engie is using it. They are only pieces which are asembled in Entity Scripts (timeline and events are in Entity Script Agent) to complete each other - some effect are in UScript it self. i.e. GrenadeLauncher: code for hidding each grenade when empty is in WeaponInvGrenadeLauncher.uc
Most of .gem files don't carry its animations it self, but they are in different files - like animations for PlayerHand, each weapon .gem contain for it.
In this package you can find example .bat files - run it from Unreal2\Meshes directory.

CommandLine options: Run U2GemExport without parameters to display possible options.
-id is for chising model to export - check console window to possible value.
-bh is a special option to bypas BoneHierarchy check when mesh animation are in separated files. To make this work you must mutch mesh BoneHierarchy with aniation BoneHierarchy - check console window to know each value.
-out where to export all that stuff - if not speciffied, out directory will be the mesh/animation folder.

Summary:
-------
Anyways, you need to have a good knowledge of Golem Engine to recreate inGame animations. If you have the questions, ask here.

Credits:
-------
Guardian: for huge help with animations part.
Chris Hargrove (autor of Golem Engine): for solving the last 5bites puzle.
Me - this was The Longest Journey...

Download:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89897525/Tools/Unreal2/Gem/U2GemExport v1.0.rar

THE END.

Last edited:

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
:eek: You just made my day, but I don't see a link.

Edit: Thank you so much for all of your hard work. I'm definitely going to play around with this!

Last edited:

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
When I import the meshes into 3DS Max, they look good at first, but once they move they become pretty deformed. Some vertices don't have any weights assigned. The animations themselves seem good, though.

Edit: It seems like it's just a problem with ActorXImporter. Everything seems fine in SkelEdit, though. I'll use Blender if it doesn't have the same problem.

Last edited:

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
The animations don't seem to work at all in UT2004's editor. What program did you use in that video of Aida you posted in the old thread?

Also, what should I enter to export the skaarj models? U2GemExport crashes no matter what values I use.

Edit: Importing the meshes in MilkShape and the exporting them fixes the models in 3DS Max. Thanks again for this!

Edit 2: Got the skaarj models to export. I had to run U2GemExport as an admin.

Last edited:

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Yep... You`re right... There was an error in animation key setup - fixed in new version.
Problem was that I used Milkshape to test exported animation, but Milkshape can fix broken pak/psa without notice. Download new version - now it should work without problem - tested in UDK.

ShinDarkfox

May 1, 2010
Good work! Works for the most part but some models crash with it like MercJapMaleHeavyBody id #7, and most of MercJapMediumBody, MercFemLight, MercFemMedium, and NebanFull.

Edit: Also, odd I was certain I've posted before...

Edit 2: You know what? I think the body models are just repeated several times so the end result is practically the same for those in the model index that don't crash. I managed to get working copies just by going through the index. Again, this is a very well crafted tool.

Last edited:

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Thanks...

Didn't check these models, but you're right about body models - only skins and attachement is different. Will check it out...

Blaze Modz

Jun 24, 2016
Hey! Great program! One problem: When I try to open it, it says " This app can't run on your PC." I've tried different compatibility modes, running as admin, etc. Please help! It might be, because I need an x86 version, and this is a 32 bit or something. Please help! (Sorry for the major bump!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Autonomous

Autonomous

Jun 26, 2016
I got an issue as well, I can run it but the second the window opens, it closes and there's no way around it for me.