Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Prometheus 5/10

Finally got to see this on Friday in 3D and unfortunately, the best bits of the movie can all be seen in the trailers.
Film overall was a huge let-down for me, even though I didn't have any expectations from it, I did expect a lot more than it offered, especially from Ridley Scott.
The story is very weak in the way it unfolds and it just felt cobbled together and the special effects were not as impressive as I was hoping.
Characters were weak in screen presence and acting very wooden at times.
I was constantly asking myself "Who are these people and wtf are they doing all the way out here?"
I tried not to look at this as a prequel but you can't help doing that because of all the indirect connections and if that wasn't the intention, Ridley should have made a bigger effort to detach it from the original Alien film.
The main problem is, the minute you see the Space Jockey's ship, you immediately think Alien and so that's what you're expecting, except it deviates from that somewhat.
Not sure that was such a good idea.

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
Enter Nowhere - 5/10
Plot was interesting, acting was poor. (rental) Has what appears to be Clint Eastwood's son in it (Scott), but no where near as good an actor.

Prometheus - 6.5/10
3D was not there much at all, so not recommended. Acting was okay, above average. Plot was sketchy, as others mentioned. Effects were pretty good, though I have seen better.

John Carter - 7/10
Long movie, enjoyed the premise of the story and humor. Effects were average.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Lockout - 2/10

This film is almost as bad as it gets as far as film entertainment goes because it's laughable and cheap on so many levels, it's hard to know where to start.

Guy Pearce, who plays a dude named Snow, tries his best to be a rock hard ex-CIA agent with attitude and somehow finds himself on the wrong side of the law after being set up for murder.
Meanwhile, the presidents daughter, who is on some sort of humanitarian visit to (get this) a maximum security prison in orbit around earth - to check if the prisoners are comfy and nice - right.
The minute she steps foot on the station (with no training and seemingly no procedures of any kind following orbital flight) she witnesses a rather unfortunate incident, namely, a mass breakout of prisoners, who previously, were kept in some sort of cryo-stasis to see out the term of their sentence - not bad actually, since 15 years or so would seem like 5 minutes to a convict after being revived, so what's the point exactly?
Anyway, after all the prisoners are let out in literally 2 minutes with no ill effects, they set about over-running the station and and kidnap the presidents daughter.
Only one man is capable of rescuing her, that's Snow.
He accepts after finding out his mate is serving time on the station after being implicated in the murder at the beginning of the film.
Snow arrives at the station on a shuttle, also having no training and no space suit, dives straight into the action to rescue the totty and find his mate, who incidentally, is a bit of a Rainman after suffering side effects of extended periods of cryo-stasis - basically, a gibbering idiot.
Girl gets rescued, mate gets blown out of an airlock and the two brothers who are the ringleaders of the prisoners, both raving lunatics, get their comeuppance.
Absolutely rubbish.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The Gray - 7.2/10

Movie can be resumed as follows:

You survived a plane crash? Let us fix that for you.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
End of Days-5.5/10

This load of quasi-religious mumbo-jumbo from Arnie was always average; it's just it has been so long since I've seen it that I had forgotten most of it.

As for the opening sequence when the Vatican priest rips open a medieval scroll without any archival protection such as wearing gloves or, at least, opening the thing up carefully and gingerly as not tot destroy the velum it's written on........ yeah right. That was truly laughable.

The extra half a point is or the spectacularly well done action sequences.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Dark Shadows (2012)
Disappointing. Another pointless movie of 2012 in collaboration with the director Tim Burton and actor Johnny Depp. This film adaptation had more eerie atmosphere, chomped visual styles, but lack of improvements and with the comedy genre is very false closed to the horror/vampire story. Not comparing to the Dan Curtis's 1966 black-and-white gothic soap opera of the same name.
Grade: C

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
Super fun! The style of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone we're technically stunning and superb visuals too. Great comparing (and reboot) from the original one in 2002 made by Sam Raimi with the origins of Peter Parker who actually began his best and greatest superhero on demand.
Grade: B+

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Prometheus (3D)-8/10

I went to see this again and this time all the inconsistencies become meaningless. It's much better the second time around when you are over the visual impact and can get into the subtexts.

Basically, at the superficial level, it's just a great sci-fi adventure (this is not Alien at all and was never meant to be).

I think they whole leaving an Engineer on Earth tens of thousands of years ago causing them to "create" humanity thing was meant to be an accident hence them wanting to come back and waste Earth in near to present day.

I picked up on a 2001: A Space Odyssey thing the first time around and, the ancient Weyland (played by Pearce) looks so close to the ancient Dave Bowman from 2001 that it's way too close for comfort. Even the separate living quarters and some of the shots set up with Weyland on the Prometheus hark back to Kubrick's classic flick.

Also the escape pod in the last sequence of the film before the ships collide really reminds me of the escape pods from Quake 2. :lol:

The second viewing gave me a chance to get into the soundtrack. The music is excellent and the sound effects are epic.

The first time I saw this flick it was on an Imax screen but this time I saw it on a regular Cinemascope screen and I personally think the 3D looked much better.

A much better experience the second time around. A pure sci-fi romp for lovers of sci-fi. (I know many will disagree).

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
The Amazing Spiderman (3D) - 8.5. Not a bad flick, better acting, imho. Pretty good effects. The bad guy was so-so, however. I'm not convinced they need to resort to complete special effects to create a hero/monster for Marvel movies - with exception of Hulk, I suppose.

Ted - 7. Some parts were quite funny, other's were plainly derivative of Family Guy episodes, and others were dumb as hell. I liked that they brought back the star of Flash Gordon 70's (?) movie.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
The Amazing Spiderman - 8/10

Really good. I just wish they'd gone with a darker tone. This movie was borderline PG.

Some cheesy CGI here and there but for the most part pretty damn good. I liked the first person shots.

What's with the lizards in NY? Everyone in the audience was questioning that one. Did Dr. Connors give birth to them or are we supposed to believe that lizards are native to NY? :p

Last edited:
The Not Really So Amazing Spiderman

The actors are better this time around, that's for sure, and by that I mean the acting as well. Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy is leaps and bounds better than Kirsten Dunst's vapid attempt at Mary Jane (and this time you understand why Peter Parker likes her, instead of hating him for devoting himself, as nerds often do, to the empty personality-non entity popular girl). The tone is just better all around, no denying it. The cast works.

What doesn't work is...everything else. The cast is wasted on a poorly told retelling. It's a reboot...and a reboot that doesn't really try to do anything new or tell a story on film that the Raimi Spiderman movies didn't. Besides a few scenes and instances that are obviously different, the formula is all there. You spend like an hour of screentime with geeky Peter Parker before he is Spiderman and then he becomes Spiderman and yadda yadda yadda, you've seen it already. The first Raimi movie comes to mind often here, as all the plotpoints are carried out, again. Four movies with Peter Parker and you know...I just don't like the guy anymore. There was something likeable and relatable to the comic character when I read them as a kid and young teen, because he was me. But now I'm watching actors who are my age (almost thirty) playing highschool kids and god do I hate their faces and their stupid problems. I don't care. The pressure is on this new era of Marvel movies to prove that Marvel can be more than escapism for self-absorbed teenagers. Iron Man and the recent Avengers movie got it right, but Spiderman is still floundering.

I did like the Lizard, however, and was probably the key point of the last half of the movie that kept my interest. A suggestion for the next Spiderman movie; don't insist on making everybody cry or look as if they are on the verge of crying. And redo Venom.

Brave

Gorgeously animated, as I expect of Pixar (I couldn't take my eyes off her fiery red hair). The story and characters themselves are...perhaps weak for for the studio's standards, though that's not really the way I want to say it. The movie is just missing something and I can't put my finger on it. Still, I enjoyed it better than A Bug's Life and the Car, but it says a lot when I remember the short film they place before the feature film more than major plot points from the main event. Still, the rich attention to what appears on screen and the commitment to giving animated films clout as real movies and not just kids stuff is what Pixer continues to do and Brave is no different.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The Amazing Spiderman 5/10

Way too unnecessarily long, too many useless dialogues. Also watching Peter Parker turning into Spiderman again is... whatever, saw that a million of times already.

At least it is definitely more serious and less cheesy than the previous Spiderman movies. No Mary Jane is a big plus. Lizard was overall (shockingly) mediocre and looked like a thinner Hulk with a tail.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
The Amazing Spider-Man

6/10

I thought Rhys Ifans was as good as the Lizard as Alfred Molina was as Doc Ock, even though the Lizard's CGI was pretty bad. For the most part, I think the cast was better than Spider-Man's. The music was good, but I liked the original's more. My problem with this movie is that a lot of things the original did well felt kind of half-assed, like how Peter was searching for Ben's killer and just forgot about him halfway through the movie. I get the feeling that some scenes that would have made this the "untold story" were cut, like when Lizard is supposed to kill that one guy who was breathing down his neck earlier in the film. Instead, that guy is saved and never seen again instead of being mauled in the sewers like promotional material showed. The line about Peter having to get the truth from the Lizard was also cut. I guess those things could have been purely promotional material from the start, but it would be interesting to see what the movie would be with those cut scenes.

If Peter gets his job as a reporter in the sequel, J. K. Simmons had better be back. Some actors seem like they were born for certain roles, and he's one of them.

Snow White and the Huntsman

I don't know what to rate this. I was expecting a terrible Lord of the Rings meets Twilight, but there were some scenes that really stuck out to me. The music was good, the cast was decent (the dwarves were great and I didn't completely hate Kristen Stewart for once), but there are a few really bad parts that drag this movie down, like Snow White's battle speech. The movie's pacing felt kind of hectic, and time didn't seem consistent at all. In one scene there's a foot of snow on the ground, in the next there is none, even though it seems like very little time has passed.

I'm not sure if I enjoyed this movie because it was good, or because I had no positive expectations whatsoever.