UT3 [WIP] CTF-LB-Orbital

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KenjiE20

Feb 27, 2002
Washington, England
www.longbowslair.co.uk
Title: CTF-LB-Orbital
Version: Alpha 6
Last Map Update: 08/02/2009
Compatibility: PC. Currently being built on Patch 3 + BP (Unsure of vanilla install, could someone test?)

Description: Remake of CTF-Orbital.

Ignore the lighting for now, all that's in place are my 'work lights'
[SCREENSHOT]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/501502/OrbitalBBase01.png[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/501502/OrbitalRBase01.png[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/501502/OrbitalCenter.png[/SCREENSHOT]
Bots should work relatively well.

Comments: Rebuilt from the ground up based on what I remember and about 5 mins of looking at Orbital-Classic from 2k4

Credits: Remake by KenjiE20 aka 'Longbow' (Don't ask)
Original : David Ewing (Digital Extremes)

Downloads

ChangeLog

Changes from Alpha 5
  • Added health pickups
  • Added some link and shock ammo in the middle room

Changes from Alpha 4
  • Added the shock rifle back in
  • Hopefully the last Alpha now
  • If feedback shows the layout / flow / gameplay is okay, the next build should be a beta with proper lighting and such

Changes from Alpha 3
  • Filled in all of the missing textures
  • Screenshots added to zip

Changes from Alpha 2
  • Moved the flag room jumppads out into the room more
  • Added the stinger in

Changes from Alpha 1
  • Re-laid the flag room path nodes
  • Added weight to the sniper point to discourage flag runners from attempting to xloc with it
  • Now 8 spawns per team

Initial
  • The bot pathing should let them get everywhere
  • There are defence points in so bots will hold there if told to

As of right now the todo's are;

• Tweak Health?
  • Inconsistent textures in some spots (windows)
  • Basic lighting throughout
  • Prettifying with Static meshes
  • Skybox
Feedback / flames on any / all of it is encouraged.

Last edited:

Hektor

Feb 20, 2009
i know this is an alpha, but i cant understand why did he change the weapon layout? One thing should not be touched and its that for sure. the armor is missing at the shock entrance, rocket launcher missing from base, shock rifle is at wrong place, bio rifle is at wrong place, amps inbase are missing aswell. and same for the jump boots. side routes inbase are too small again, u wont be able to dodge out a single shot, coz u will fall down. this favours the defenders again.... elevators inbase are missing again, he changed one of them to a jumppad wich is acceptable, but only the right elevator, left elevator or jumppad still missing... grrrrrr

and some rooms/places are too small for example the flak room .u wont be able to avoid any flakspam even an unaccurate shot will hurt you, not even mentioning avoiding a shock combo would be impossible aswell. count these things on a map where its already really hard to cap without those things ...

thats just my opinion. i dont like to criticise others work, coz i know how hard and how much time it needs, but i just dont feel that this map is right in its current state...

finally i frapsed a short video from the ut version there u can see how this map should look like , with all the item placements.

link: ftp://ftp.unreal.ie/hosted_sites/clanbase/hektor/orbital.zip

Last edited:

KenjiE20

Feb 27, 2002
Washington, England
www.longbowslair.co.uk
Finally, useful feedback;
there you go, constructive feedback. It's alpha so feedback carries more weight. YOur desired weapon changes will probably be implemented
^ this guy knows where it's at :D

i know this is an alpha, but i cant understand why did he change the weapon layout? One thing should not be touched and its that for sure.
  1. It's an alpha, don't expect anything to be good / right / finished
  2. The weapons are the way they are from my, admittedly, bad memory

the armor is missing at the shock entrance, rocket launcher missing from base, shock rifle is at wrong place, bio rifle is at wrong place, amps inbase are missing aswell. and same for the jump boots.
Armour, amp, and boots are all not in since it's alpha. Weaps and health, that's all you get for now.
The trouble with weapon placement is that now everything has been tweaked and re-balanced since UT/2k4 so putting them in the exact spots might have lead to overkill, or at least that's my rationale for their current placement.

side routes inbase are too small again, u wont be able to dodge out a single shot, coz u will fall down. this favours the defenders again.... elevators inbase are missing again, he changed one of them to a jumppad wich is acceptable, but only the right elevator, left elevator or jumppad still missing... grrrrrr
I don't particularly remember being able to dodge a huge amount in the originals either, only the 2k3 one I recall having giant corridors.
I left the jumppad out from the link side as the zone is quite busy, but maybe I can carve an alcove out of the wall for the pad to sit in, to balance the sides out.

and some rooms/places are too small for example the flak room .u wont be able to avoid any flakspam even an unaccurate shot will hurt you, not even mentioning avoiding a shock combo would be impossible aswell. count these things on a map where its already really hard to cap without those things ...
Fast, Tight and Hectic, that was sort of the aim, and I don't feel that the flak rooms are all that small, there's plenty of room to dodge.

finally i frapsed a short video from the ut version there u can see how this map should look like , with all the item placements.

link: ftp://ftp.unreal.ie/hosted_sites/clanbase/hektor/orbital.zip
Cheers for that, I've grabbed that, since it'll hopefully save me running a bazillion things at once to compare & contrast.

UTGangster

Aug 17, 2008
Wales (U.K.)
Ok here some constructive feedback.
1. the layout and scaling is fine, you definately do not have any problems wiht that.
2. I would you a large post processing cube to cover the entire map sation and give it a darker tone like it.
3. In the main hall section the walk ways shopuld be completely static mechses (use the Liandri ones).
4. cross walkway should be in the centre to conncet the rest not at the side. Also make sur that you palce the reemdemer abovein the central area.
5. Make sure you have a spinning sky box, i can tell you how to do that.

Other then that all you really have to do is fill it up with mesches. Here is a remake of orbital2(UT2004) made for UT3. i think you could darw alot of inspiration from this. good Luck

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=588294