All games on my computer suffer from hitching. Why?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AizenSA

The Divine Tyrant
Dec 8, 2005
Geonosis
www.myspace.com
I was looking through the post here and I noticed no one mentioned overclocking. So do you have any of your hardware overclocked?

I heard that having it overclocked to much and on too many hardware could cause problems like that.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
wondering if memtest turned up anything and if you were able to figure out how to install your bios updates.

The reason it's your Video RAM is because your other RAM doesn't seem to be the problem. The system RAM holds information in waiting (not actually being used yet) until it gets called up by your GPU to be processed. Your GPU also holds a little bit of data in wait. When you add something that your vRAM didn't have, it has to grab it from the system RAM (or, worse, from the hard drive-GASP) before your card and processor can get around to rendering and outputting the damned thing.

Whether or not the BEAUTY of something like UT2004 on high pales in comparrison to Crysis on low, there's still a lot of stuff that's being rendered at the same time. Your video RAM is limited and a game like UT2004 will stress it (BF2 was a massive bitch I remember).

Perhaps check to see if your GPU isn't overheating (don't remember if you already did that) which is causing the hitching (though I doubt that would be the case).

Also, When turning your settings up, try doing small things at a time and see what it is that puts your system over the edge, then adjust accordingly.

~Jason

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Lodra said:
I was looking through the post here and I noticed no one mentioned overclocking. So do you have any of your hardware overclocked?

I heard that having it overclocked to much and on too many hardware could cause problems like that.

I've tried keeping everything at core speeds, and just now I tried overclocking with RivaTuner + ClockGen (CPUID to confirm). I can't tell if the problem's any better.

@dragonfliet: Ok, after running memtest all night, I've had no errors in any bit of my RAM. However, I did notice something peculiar: Throughout the test, the speed of my RAM read "472 mhz". That's strange, because I know my RAM is DDR2 800mhz. Also, my motherboard specifically says on the box and on their website that the mobo supports DDR2 800mhz memory. What gives? Is this the problem?

AFAIK about my video card: I use RivaTuner heavily now (I used it a lot with my old video card, a GeForce 5700Ultra). I never used it before with my 7900gs, except for one time to test whether Crysis would hitch less. Evidently not. So yeah, to answer your question about the card temperatures: Yes, it's stable. The fan is set to 89% capacity always. (Can't set fan speed to 100%, for some reason it causes the fan to turn OFF when I'm playing games... And THAT causes bsod).

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Yes that could be the problem, how is your BIOS setup? is it on automatic or did you set it manually?
What is your Front Speed Bus speed and what s your Multiplier set to?

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Your RAM is quite likely DDR2-800. Note the lack of MHz. 800 MHz is the "effective" clock speed, not the real clock speed. DDR2-800 clocks at 400 MHz. Therefore 472 MHz actually sounds like it's overclocked.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
I can't stop mine from getting hitched

hitched360.png
Good job sir :tup:

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Your RAM is quite likely DDR2-800. Note the lack of MHz. 800 MHz is the "effective" clock speed, not the real clock speed. DDR2-800 clocks at 400 MHz. Therefore 472 MHz actually sounds like it's overclocked.

Hm... Well, I didn't overclock my RAM. For starters - I don't even know how to overclock RAM.

In any case, how would hypothetically overclocked RAM cause hitching in games?

Also, I don't know how my BIOS is set up. I only recently fiddled with it; I've never touched the BIOS ever before that.

Apr 13, 2003
Somewhere, Unreal
Visit site
did u say what type psu & os? & monitor ~ list parts with
Run dxdiag, hijackthis & list
Try new ram ? idk Did you run drivercleaner before installing drivers?
Fresh install of updated, OS...

Last edited:

Steyr

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 1, 2005
On the internets
also might want to try ccleaner. From what I hear it's pretty good, and even if it doesn't fix your problem it'll help your computer anyway.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Hm... Well, I didn't overclock my RAM. For starters - I don't even know how to overclock RAM.

Also, I don't know how my BIOS is set up. I only recently fiddled with it; I've never touched the BIOS ever before that.

Well go look around in it then. As long as you don't change anything and exit the BIOS without saving just be sure you don't save anything. Try finding the Multiplier and Front Speed Bus and let us know. :)

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
No idea. And for the record, I don't know how corrupted RAM would cause it either. I'd expect corrupted data and crashes from defective RAM, not pauses. Back in the days of Windows 98 I had an effect like that that was caused by... I'm not sure but unplugging the mouse helped.

Since you said you had the problem over several computers I'd start looking at similarities. Hardware or software you used with all of them.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
I'll check out SiSoft Sandra Lite.

My hard drive is an ATA-133 hard drive, so it's not SATA. My brother's computer has a SATA drive.

Before you all jump to conclusions that the hard drive is my culprit, please realize that my brother has used my hard drive on one occasion to see if hitching would occur on his computer. It didn't.

However, I can say that when I put his SATA drive into my computer, I had remarkably less hitching. That, therefore, doesn't mean that the hard drive is my culprit.

I'll use SiSoft Sandra Lite to verify this. But holy crap - it's 14.3 megabytes. I'm on dialup, and my dad needs to use the computer right now.