Lovsan.a - minor problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I goofed the other day and the lovsan.a virus got onto one of our laptops. Virus scanner caught it and cleaned it. I am also fully patched now. (I missed patching the laptop before and we are extremly carefull with e-mail attachments but...)

The minor problem is it seems that XP home created a restore point in the System Volume Information directory. Now our anti virus software keeps finding it but won't remove it. I tried to go into the directory and manually delete it but it won't.

The laptop is running XP home and I am logged in as the administrator. I also noticed that I can't get into a similar folder on an other XP home machine.

On my work machine which is XP pro has no problem getting into its System Volume Information folder.

hmmm

Any ideas. How many restore points are kept and what triggers it.

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
Thanks Hadmar. That did the trick.

Strange you can look in that folder using Pro but can't with Home. Of course I may have screwed up a setting somewhere.

Thanks all and one.

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
Home was not my choice. On the laptop that was the only version available although I did argue with them. At that time Toshiba was the only way to go because we needed the built in DVD writer and the only other company selling them at that time was Sony. The Sony model we wanted was not available in Canada and they did not want to sell us one from the States. For the other machine its not a work machine and not even a gaming machine. The extra expense was not justified.

Your right about system restore. I really should turn it off. Even though its simple to turn off finding that couple of minutes here at the office is not easy.

Last edited: