Puff Puff Pass

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should the sniper have a puff of smoke.

• yes

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilz

Mar 31, 2005
I dont think im in the minority on this. If youre gonna take out the LG and replace it with the sniper rifle PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT put in the garbage smoke puff like 2k4. It's just flat out annoying. If this is gonna be the "hitscan" weapon of the game, the smoke needs to go away.

PUFF PUFF PASS!

DraZtiK

Jan 4, 2003
www.draztik.net
I disagree totally....you should edit the poll to add the LG in.

in UT99 the sniper is what everyone was used too....then in UT2003 everyone had a fit about a "lightning gun". most people I know now would rather have the LG instead of the Sniper. now there are widely used mutators to replace the sniper with the LG. In comp. games anyway.

I say leave it alone.

regardless...all the polls, requests and comments will be totally ignored by Epic and they will again release a game they want instead of the community.

fresh&minty

lollerbater
Mar 30, 2005
The sniper rifle in 2k4 is a reverse debacle of what it original was, it went from way over powered, to way under powered.

The swap out rate kills it for DM.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
If the sniper gun looks like it is in the UC2 I wont be so pissed. As long as it doesn't look like the ut2k4 one. And instead of using the silly puff, if they use the one from ut2k4, they should decrease the rof and make it do more damage like the lg.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Stilz said:
but then again you probably play onslaught so you dont count.
Judging from your post amount, I'd say you're quite new around here. That's okay. Welcome to the BeyondUnreal forums* :)

Now...we appreciate your efforts to get to know what everyone thinks about what is and how things should/could/should not be in the next UT. However, keep a few guidelines in mind, will ya?
First of all, there's a "reply" button on each message. Please use it if you're replying to someone; it helps to make it clear against who you're talking to.
The second tip I can give you is that forumming is a lot more fun if you respect each other's opinions and not go into assumptions from people you don't know yet. Thrust me: flamewars can start quickly with careless posts that didn't meant any offence...

Okay...So far my off-topic rant. Personally, I prefer the puff on, because it helps to locate the sniper better (and no, I'm not an onslaught player). I do agree with fresh&minty that the rate to switch weapons after a shot is way too low, and that this is a much worse disadvantage than a bit of smoke.

Oh, and how about the option to add the smoke puff but without it blocking the sniper's aim? I'm okay with that as well :)
EDIT: and make that gun do more damage! 60 damage per hit isn't enough for a weapon like this.

* the same goes to the other new posters as well...It's just a bit much to give everyone an individual welcome message ;)

Last edited:

Stilz

Mar 31, 2005
new to this forum yes. i post at prounreal for ut related topics normally and ive been in the ut community for 6 years now.

also i dont know of a sniper rifle that gives a huge puff of smoke. kinda defeats the purpose of being a "sniper".

Last edited:

Stilz

Mar 31, 2005
captainrad said:
i think the lightning gun should have smoke..baha, nah not really.

See thats the thing. I'ts gonna be the main hitscan since they took out the LG and theyre gonna keep that smoke in there?...its just retarded.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
The sniper rifle can go burn in hell for all I care. As long as the swirch tme is the same for all weapons, including the SR which wasn't the case in 2k4, then I guess it doesn't matter to me.

Stilz said:
pro D:

fresh&minty

lollerbater
Mar 30, 2005
lmao... oh lord, ONS players talking smack now, whats next the invasion players :lol:

Look son, just because you don't know the who is who, out side of this forum, doesn't mean you stand a ghost of chance vs them.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Dark Pulse said:
Personally I don't like it, but I feel it's necessary for balance. Yes from me. I've caught snipers by their smoke.
I'm with DP on this one, it balances the gun.

Stilz said:
WTF is that supposed to mean? :con:

Stilz said:
also i dont know of a sniper rifle that gives a huge puff of smoke. kinda defeats the purpose of being a "sniper".
If you would have read the posts, It's to balance the gun.

Stilz said:
See thats the thing. I'ts gonna be the main hitscan since they took out the LG and theyre gonna keep that smoke in there?...its just retarded.
I bet the Shockrifle is the main hitscan weapon, not the Sniper.

fresh&minty said:
lmao... oh lord, ONS players talking smack now, whats next the invasion players :lol:
Look son, just because you don't know the who is who, out side of this forum, doesn't mean you stand a ghost of chance vs them.
I think you shouldn't underestimate players who post here. The skill is alot better than you might think.

damn...what's with all these 2 post-people thinking they know it all?

fresh&minty

lollerbater
Mar 30, 2005
ONS players having no frag skills and being noobs is a known trait of the gametype. Honestly invasion players/offline players probably have more skill.

While you might not know who stilz is I do. He is a competitive TDM player, and isn't half bad at it. If your daft enough to think that posts on forums = skill in game your a bit dense.

So that said, back to debate.

1. Smoke balances nothing. Sniping is (by nature of this game) a detriment to the team that has the sniper... you help the other guys by doing it. There is no such thing as a good sniper, there are only bad ones. The only thing smoke does (with good players, read not noobs) is piss off both the player with the sniper, and the player shooting at him.

2. Any player above low skill tier knows that the sniper balance was done via ROF/damage vs swap out time. Sadly this is what they royal f'd up. Even with it's higher ROF the sniper is still worthless, because the swap out time is so massive the gun fails because you can't bail it. Fact, ltg first hit, shock second deals more damage, takes less time, and gives a better chance for consecutive follow up shots. Top it off with the fact that the LTG has a chance for some splash, and a double kill, and the sniper starts to look more and more like nerf gun. The ONLY arguements in it's favor are the better scope (read #1 for that sniping only hurts your own team so who gives a rats ass), and the higher ROF (which I already pointed out weapon swaps are faster/better).

But I guess you already knew all that since you have more posts on this forum?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Stilz said:

It being hitscan is only an assumption.

fresh&minty said:
ONS players having no frag skills and being noobs is a known trait of the gametype. Honestly invasion players/offline players probably have more skill.

There are exceptions to every rule.

fresh&minty said:
While you might not know who stilz is I do. He is a competitive TDM player, and isn't half bad at it. If your daft enough to think that posts on forums = skill in game your a bit dense.

Post count on fourms has nothing to do with it, but attitude is another thing. Anyone daft enough to talk about somone they haven't seen play based on a loose "rule" as you put it is pretty dense. Most of the time he who barks the loudest, doesn't bite so hard.

fresh&minty said:
So that said, back to debate.

<snip>

But I guess you already knew all that since you have more posts on this forum?

Actually, yes, and I'm sure I speak for myself, and Bee (and most forum regulars here). There is a way to abandon the cSR, if server enabled. It's called throw weapon. Most competative servers allow it, usually only Epic Demo servers don't.

Balance encompasses a lot of things, a great many things some "compeative" players think it shouldn't, and hence they don't acknowledge it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

If hidden properly, and being used to back up another player in a fire fight, do you really think the weapon would be out of balance still without the bullet trace, and puf of smoke to find the sniper? The switch out time means nothing if you can't find him to shoot him. The second biggest inbalance of the UT sniper rifle was it's untraceability. That's why the LtG was born, and why the sniper rifle has all these stupid little "nerfs".

Now, I do agree, that if they don't want you to hide and snipe, they maybe shouldn't "call it" a sniper rifle, but trying to dictate how it should work by it's name is silly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.