P3 or Geforce 2?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

takovr

May 9, 2000
Browns Mills NJ
Visit site
I have a p2 450 with a viper tnt2 card.
What would be the better investment for playing games on my computer, Buying a p3
600 or buying a Geforce 2? Any help would be appricated, thx

tapped

May 14, 2000
Visit site
It really depends. How do you play your games? If you're the "hardcore" type gamer, and you play most games (like fps) at 648x480, pick up the P3. It'll speed up geometry (low res). If you play most of your games in high res, like 1024x768+, you need fillrate. In that case, get the GF2, although the V5 5500 will be cheaper and nearly just as fast. Then again, like The Carmack said, NVIDIA's got the big advantage of spit-shined drivers; 3dfx... not quite yet, though they're getting there.

wiggum_pi

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
I'd say PIII -- I think a more powerful graphics card would result in a bottle neck at the CPU. The performance of your computer is only as strong as its weakest link.

bullet2.gif

Who's gonna be the odd man out? I want to be the odd man out.
-- CookieMnstr|PuF

Blistering_Pants

T2 Junkie
May 14, 2000
VA, USA
I agree with wiggy. Slappn a big card on a weak system will only cause crashes or at least slow Frame rates. Upgrade your system wait a few months and buy whatever card happens to be hot then "G3" at they rate at witch they are making newer and better cards its possible.