ATI 128 Issues - anyone else?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Babaganoosh

Jan 20, 2001
Visit site
I think I've seen something similar posted below, so I guess other people have this problem. I've encountered this not only with UT but other games using the Unreal engine (Deus Ex, Wheel of Time etc.) Basically the game runs fine for a while but after that, the textures (mostly in the menus and HUD) get all messy and corrupted. This would only be an annoyance but sometimes it affects the game since I can't see how much health I have or, in Deus Ex, look at my inventory or read text messages.
I have a Pentium III 866, 256Mb RAM, Xpert2000 video card (using the Rage 128 chip), and generic sound card. I tried installing both the updated and reference drivers, with no improvement. Flushing the texture cache is a temporary fix but the problem appears again soon after. If anyone has found a definitive solution, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Smokin' Joe

Jan 25, 2001
Visit site
I havean ATI Rage 128 card and I had the same problem after
installing patch 436 for UT. I installed DirectX 8.0
and the latest drivers from ATI and I still got all
the garbage on my screen (jumbled characters, strange
textures and my weapons site acting all freaky).

To fix the problem I installed an old driver for the
video card(I used version 610, the current version is
612 I think) and D3DDRV.dll from the 432 patch(you can
download this file on fileplanet.com, do a
search on d3ddrv.dll and copy into the Unreal
Tournament\System folder on your harddrive) and this
seems to have solved my problem.

aruzinsky

Skilled
Jan 31, 2001
Visit site
I have similar problems with my ATI Rage Fury Pro, however, it happens less often and I get better performance with the new beta OpenGL driver available from the Announcements page (not the download page) at http://unreal.epicgames.com/. Be forewarned that there is a serious bug that can cause the screen to go blank. See my posting about this in this forum. I use a Windows ME Restore to correct this. Also, there is a new beta D3D driver but it fails to initialize my card.