List of PC games using UE3 that don't use Steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
I think this is them:

Alliance of Valiant Arms
American McGee's Grimm
Black College Football: BCFX: The Xperience
BlackSite: Area 51
Fury
Gears of War
Hour of Victory
Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust
Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia
Mortal Online
Stranglehold
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Turok
Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Last edited:

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
I think you're confusing games that are available on Steam with games that REQUIRE Steam.

If it needs Steam. You can buy it from Steam.
If it's available on Steam. You need Steam.

Look. I'm just making a list of games that you can buy in a retail store, that you don't have to use Steam to install.
But all the games need to use Unreal Engine 3.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The only UE3 game I can think of that REQUIRES Steam is.................................................................................................................................

Right, there isn't one. There are a few UE2 games that do, though.

Here's the rub: Every UE3 game available on Steam right now can be bought in a retail store without using Steam for any aspect of it whatsoever.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
And what is the point of creating a list of UE3 games that don't require Steam?

Brizz, you're wrong. Saw can be bought on PC only through Steam. AFAIK there was no retail release on PC. Retail was done by Konami on X360/PS3.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
And what is the point of creating a list of UE3 games that don't require Steam?

Brizz, you're wrong. Saw can be bought on PC only through Steam. AFAIK there was no retail release on PC. Retail was done by Konami on X360/PS3.
It's sold exclusively on Steam, but, as far as I know, it doesn't actually use Steam for anything. So it COULD have a retail release.

But the game sucks anyway. :p

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Mass Effect 2 does not require Steam, nor do most any Unreal based games, like others have said before. Just because something is available on steam, it doesn't mean it's exclusive to Steam and requires it to run.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm stil not sure what the point of this thread is suppose to be... Any game can have both a Steam or retail version. If a game uses Steamworks (like any Source game such as L4D) then even the retail vesion does require Steam installed. But UE3 games don't use Steamworks unless the devs want to use it. Sure the Steam version of UT3 uses it for stuff like Achievements, but it's purely cosmetic and not required in the retail version.

Plus any game you buy on Steam will have modified executable files that first log in Steam when you play, but you're free to buy the retail versions instead where you have stuff like Games For Windows or whatever DRM is on the disk...