CTF-DevilsLair

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
Heh heh!
Thanks lophead... I just wanna make sure this version is worth letting out considering the major changes done to it. Really the map runs great though and the flow is 70 percent better. No major issues I saw. Just the map info is a little sketchy ;) I'm not one t make up good stories.

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
Ok... not sure how excessive got into this... but I'll get that fixed right away. Sounds like I dropped in an excessive weapon or something. I'm going to delete the files on UP until this is fixed. I already have an updated version which took care of AI issues and added more ambient sounds in areas. I also found sniping spots not tagged properly. And finally I added volumes for the energy fields on the outside bar windows to add a little shock to people. Bots wouldn't go for the nuker so I placed assault paths near it and it works just fine now. More to come soon and hopefully the package issues are resolved. Oh, one more... bots wouldn't jump onto a platform that holds the shield. It sits next to the elevators. I had a liftexit there but they misused it. Deleting them helped the bots understand how to jump off the lift and get the shield. Confusing but it worked! I'll get a release out in the next day or 2.

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
Well... the map is about ready. I fixed many unlisted items from above and them some. I still haven't found what required this Excessive Package though. If anyone knows what in this map was part of the Excessive package, please tell me - cause even I don't know :(

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
damn it!! I can't figure out why this even asking for excessive, it's a MOD for petes sake! I went through ALL of the weapons pickups and nothing with excessive. Could it be AI code? Man that ticks me off.

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
OK, here's one tip: first, remove the Excessive mut from your UT2K3, second, open the map in UEd and save it under another name such as beta3 or 4, or even 5 depending on your stage of development, then test it to check if it runs. If yes, reupload it to UP and copy-paste the new link here...

When you'll open the map in UEd after having removed Excessive from your HD, UEd will probably say that some files are missing and their reference will be considered as 'NULL' if you save the map at this moment, this should clean up the level of this Excessive stuff :)

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
CTF-DevilsLair v1.2 FINAL!!!

OK... I stomped the pesky bug with the Excessive package. There are 2 types of ammo in pickups which I overlooked for the shock rifle (shock ammo, and shock ammoEX). Somehow this ammo got into the map but it's gone now with the correct ammo pickup *whew*
I also put in 2 sets of spawn rooms under each stair-well in the flag rooms to unclutter them and removed 2 sets of player starts also in the flag room. This balanced it pretty good. I pumped in 14 players and got my butt kicked. (I gotta start playing more maps instead of building them). I lastly fixed the other pesky zone issue. CHECK IT OUT!!!

CTF-DevilsLair v1.2 FINAL
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=3844

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
CTF-DevilsLair v1.30

Yes I know this is supposed to be done already but last night I found some adjustments that needed to be done:
- finished ALL AI script and it works awsome now - found a few errors
- adjusted collision on sniper roosts
- FINALLY found the skeleton mesh I looked forever for - add to trofts
This Version will be the last unless someone finds something wrong

CTF-DevilsLair v1.30:
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=3853

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
K, it's a cool map with a rather interesting layout but more room is needed IMO: the main problem is a 'bad' flow due to this lack of space

For example, the lateral entrances to each flag-room are seriously hindered by the collision settings of the grass. The lateral passages are very narrow because of the lava things (whose damages are far too much high btw: you almost can't escape them...). The Health Vials you put up there in these passages are useless because of the damages from these sorts of electric fields. The doors on each side of the flag rooms are really slow and break the run, you should have made them faster or put only one instead of two. Etc...

Otherwise, it lacks of z-axis IMO: more variations in heights would have been welcome. Most of the time you're at the same height than your opponents and it's not a good point: it's better to allow players be at different levels, like this you introduce a more tactical aspect into the game in giving to players the possibility to get a more advantageous position against their opponents

Also, though CTF work better when the map is symmetrical in length, you don't have to do it symmetrical transversally aswell :) This will allow you to put more variations into the design and therefore to increase the tactical qualities of the level in the same time ;)

Visually, it's rather blocky and cubicle though some parts are rather cool-looking in architecture (the U-Dam location for example...) but overally lighting really needs work as well as sound effects btw. For example, you can use the opertures towards the sky to drop some cool light rays on the ground and on the walls... Things like that :)

There's a list of usefull links in this topic: I strongly recommend you to read some of them before making another map and to consult them regularly while working on a project. Also, looking at other mapper's levels can be very instructive.

Good luck on your next project :)

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
- I'll buy the fact that the lateral rooms need to be wider... working on that one now. Making underpass rooms to widen path by lava falls.
- The damage in the lava trofts are high for a reason... pain and death!
- The health vials are being fixed by the electric windows... planks are installed now so you don't have to jump and get zapped all the time.
- I'll increase the speed of the entrance doors in all corners.., agree with that one! I got shot in the back too many times waiting on the door to re-open.
- improved Z-axis will come with the above changes... bots will use upper beams, pickups, and AI script better.

I'll make these changes within a week and re-submit this map as a BETA 1.30 (I should have left this a BETA anyway till it was looked at by you) Thanks for the input. BTW, the last version I pulled alot of animation out due to frame rates dropping drastically. So I gotta be careful what I add in :)
As for the lighting... I hope you got a GOOD video card! I do have lighting shining through the roof windows... coronas and or light rays... didn;t llok right when I used them. Will try something else.
System that built this map:
Pentium4 1.8gig CPU with 512mb 2600 DDRAM
Geforce4 TI 4800 SE w/ 128 mb RAM
Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer 5.1
80 gig / 30 gig drives - Plextor USB Burner (CDRW)

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
Version 1.40 due soon

Well... I had the map done completely last Friday but after testing it... my 80 gig drive decided to take a dump - it overheated! Never saw a hard drive do that and I've been a Tech for a long time :)
Anywho... Started over on the revamp and it's almost ready to mirror over to finish the underpass rooms. I should have things ready for final release by this Friday. This will be the LAST release on this map unless I made some major FU's and you guys catch them.

[OMEGA]_UK

blargewoodenbadger=true
Aug 2, 2003
Hmmm....

Well the map is ns enough. But, for me theres a few too many things that hinder the flow. The gates/doors for me were opening too slow or not soon enough.
The big lava-type fountain jobbie next to the Link gun slows FPS right down (even on my system it drops to about 35-40, so I pity any one with a slower PC).
Its certainly claustraphobic, but a bit too tight for my liking for a CTF map. Each to their own...:)
But, the map itself looks nice enough and plays nice enough, but I feel it needs tweaking that bit more, with further optimisation if possible.
I agree with GUI with the location of the Damage Amp; pretty kewl m8! :D
But, good work though, keep it up.