UE2 - UT2kX Sky box

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Sep 14, 2008
Hello i'm trying to take a 180° panoramic photo and wrap it in a circle with Photoshop. I think it's called polar coordinates or something. Does anyone have a tutorial on this subject? I have Google it and found a bunch of tutorials but it's not UT specific, and it doesn't seem to be wrapped on the same axis.
Thank you in advance,
Dx.

Sep 14, 2008
No I have the cube map down as you can see from the water reflection in my hot tub. I was told it was a Technic in adobe called polar coordinates, but that doesn't seem to be working correctly. Thank you for the reply i'll keep looking.
bp.png

Sep 14, 2008
Alright here's the deal you'll still use a cube map for the basic part of the skybox. Someone created a dome static mesh for 2k4. And you need to use a technique called polar coordinates in Photoshop so you can correctly wrap the texture on the inside of the dome. it basically gets rid of the 4 corners in the box. I have attached some photos of the process.

Here is the dome.
domemesh.png

Here is the inside of the dome with the correct polar texture added. don't mind the purple pink sky you can't see it in the map. and it's just for background reference.
domemesh1.png

Here is what a correctly polar coordinated texture looks like.
sky.png

And here are photos of it being used. Just another way to do sky boxes.
ffs1.png

ffs2.png

ff3.png

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Map I started that makes extensive use of a skybox...
[M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijXnzCzaAE[/M]

You asked " how to 180° panoramic photo and wrap it in a circle with Photoshop."...
First. I believe what the individual who told you polar cords. meant was the filter 'Offset' under 'other'... this is a tool to make an image tile-able. However You realize a circle has 360° right? There will either be some stretching or you will need to mirror the image to get the other 50% of your circle.

This can be done by doubling your canvas size to one side.
First unflatten your layers. (I prefer double clicking the layer in your layer panel, but there are several ways to go about this.)
Now on the menu go to - image>canvas size...
Under canvas size set width to percent and make it 200. Then (still in canvas size...) set the anchor to either right or left either the right or left arrow.

Next right click on your unflattened layer and duplicate.

Move the duplicated layer all the way to whichever side has the blank space (denoted via a checkered pattern background). At this point there is a potential detour you may need to take depending on your image and the complexity at the edge. If the image is fairly simple at the edge you can safely skip to #2
1:On the menu go to - Edit>Transform>flip horizontal

2:On the menu go to - layer>flatten image

Once that is determined and done you will need to remove the seem. this can be done with the healing brush, the clone stamp, and/or selecting various areas of the image to blend in.

Finally you will need to get the image into a power of 2 to get it into the editor. The easiest way to do that is to set the height to 512(or your preferred power of 2). Then you will probably need to squish it by changing the image size with constrain proportions off.

Once in the editor apply it to something like Xeffects>Telering ...

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx;2609520 said:
Thanks elmur. Is that a UT4 map in your video?

NP. 2k4, but I never finished it. So as it is only geometry in a skybox it would be easy to import and I have been considering doing so after the game launches as I love a good chaos causing map. Movers+jumpads+outer-space=UTQubert.