Bad news posted

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[UMC]Boron

UMC's Official Drunkard
Oct 10, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
wow..

This is just the little twist of the knife in the chest the community needed.

Well at any rate, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully in the next 25 years you guys will find a suitable engine to build your next version of INF on.

heh by then i'll be 47 years old, maybe just maybe i'll still be playing on a PC :lol:

*edit*
UN17: Yeah with my schedule no one is ever on! And rarely if anyone is on, its on the euro servers where lag is nothing short of horrible for me.

Last edited:

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
I'm sure inf:S could have done well with regards to expanding the community, let alone brighten some of our days. Damn, this is bad news.

2_SeeK_U

uni.... meh...
This isn't good at all...

I hope to see something in the future.

Is it possible for the current work to be released as an open source project? I think we have enough collective talent to put something together!

EDIT: [UMC]Boron - l know what you mean, l'm oftern on when your on and theres hardly any more then 4 at a time... :(

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Indeed very sad!

If personnel was the major problem, why not do more recruiting - other mods rely on several times the staff... and half the listed Sentry team didn't post for decades (MIA?)...

When someone mentioned "some news soon" I was more thinking of an early Alpha, than a fatal blow... :(

What happened to the evaluation of the BF2-engine?

Edit: That open Source idea sounds worth a try...

Last edited:

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Sad. News. Indeed.

However, I still have high hopes for sentry studios and their projects. On thing they might consider is start working on a mod before the game is released, perhaps work their way into having an early beta for developement. How about UT2007? Epic owes you one anyway :p

And if not, while you wait, how about giving us a hand to improve INF 2.9 to INF 2.9+++ for UT... There are a lot of projects going on in this community to keep INF 2.9 alive and kicking, but since duke is out, we are lacking weapon coder and animators. So if you have some free time to spare for your ol' baby, give me a call :)

Turin_Turambar

Pls don´t shoot to the Asha´man
Oct 9, 2002
Visit site
wtf! :( :(

but... but.... i wanted to come back with Inf Source!

/goes to a corner and cries.

Yurch, can we expect something from your work in HL2? like, a mini-mod for HL2 DM?

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
Ouch, I didn't expect this. I guess I need to go rethink my life. I love you guys at SS. I wish you luck and hope you all can find a project that you can devote time too soon. Hmmm i guess 2.9 will need to do for now.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
I think it's fair to say that it was more down to finding a suitable engine for what the team wanted Infiltration to be, rather than lack of manpower.

I wish things could have turned out differently, but all is not lost. It's not easy to predict what the future holds for Infiltration, but I'm sure we'll be back. Maybe not tomorrow or next week, but we'll be back. Bigger, stronger, better, faster. Or something like that.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
UN17 said:
All the more reason to play INF 2.9 :)
To me a reason to play it less.

Well I´m not that shocked. I expected a serious release only after some years, which is to me way to long and sort of equals a chancellesation.

You know INF2.9 doesn't make it to me anymore and without a new version in sight it's over anyway. Problem is, I can't play any other similar games now, I tried AA:O yesterday and it sucked.

Only Insurgency is the one thing of a mod I look forward to, but have low expectations on functional realism.

Rainbow Six Lockdown is the one thing of an official game for me to look forward, but this seems to turn out to be a catastrophy.

Hell, I would start my own project based on the crappy ideas I have, but I´m a chanceless prey when it's about the computer stuff.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Rainbow Six Lockdown is the one thing of an official game for me to look forward, but this seems to turn out to be a catastrophy.

Lockdown is a fine console game.

I don't really think it's going to be what you're waiting for if it's an Inf replacement you're after though.

Well, what can I say about this announcement?

Gutted.

This cuts my "Things to do after Planetside goes tits up" list by a third :|

I hear what you're saying about carrying on work on a new engine, but y'know... "Soon" tm means 2008 to most of us :D

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
spm1138 said:
I don't really think it's going to be what you're waiting for if it's an Inf replacement you're after though.
Not INF replacement, but just a game with solid realism (no hardcore realism).
You know the CQB thing is a pretty much predefined thing (1 primary, 1 secondary, nades, no complicated weapon slinging thing, no strong requirement of a lowready weapon position... even if it would be awesome). This game does not require 'real life flexibility/possibilites' like INF, thats why it can satisfie me faster/better, but I doubt this crappy and utterly stupid game company (Ubi) is capable of creating something as half as satisfactional... life sucks.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
kejakejakejak

Turin_Turambar said:
Yurch, can we expect something from your work in HL2? like, a mini-mod for HL2 DM?
The inf HL2 project and my work are one and the same. It had become obvious to me that I would not be able to deliver a product this community would be satisfied with... hence the cancelation.
2_SeeK_U said:
Is it possible for the current work to be released as an open source project? I think we have enough collective talent to put something together!
The problem with modding from scratch is that there is a great deal that most people take for granted. New weapons. New models. New maps. New animations. New textures. Code for each, in a new engine you don't know how to use. Many mods do all of this and at the end, they haven't even begun to innovate something interesting.

I've dumped alot of time into the HL2 thing, and I have embarrasingly little to show for it. It makes for a very interesting HL2 Team Deathmatch, at least with all the bugs.

I'm still open to a 'community' project, but remember this will be on a difficulty far beyond adding a few weapons to an existing mod base, and with so many 'dreams', things tend to balloon past what is workable very quickly.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
You need a coding army, with a modelling platoon and a skinning force, including a mapping organisation to work out all the 'dreams'.

The officials have the above named perosnell, but what they do? Crap, dictated by some marketing motherfukers.

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
That is some bad news, i was looking forward to another INF type game from sentry. So in the meantime, any SS guys (beta testers included) want to work with the IMT?

Last edited: