[Series] The Walking Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Anyone else heard of this? Premier tomorrow on AMC
http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead

and something to entertain yourself with in the meantime
http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/survival-test
NFuJP.jpg

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
It's a decent comic book. Pretty much the only one I read. Because it's daring and different. Saved up to issue 73 or so.
As for the series, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I sure hope they won't screw it up :F

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I just watched it off of hulu. Its pretty good. Much better than some of George A. Romero latest films. Acting is great, story is pretty good. I'm not sure where they are going with it but I think they will have a lot more time to explore certain aspects of a dystopian society/zombie apocalypse.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Hm, I can't watch it neither on amctv. Wrong country. Oh well.

Just watched the trailer. The opening is more spectacular compared to the one in the comic book series, but that's ok.
I'm not sure they got the rick grimes character down the way they should. I mean, a trailer is short and everything so it's not that easy to tell.

But the comic book rick seemed to be very emotional at first. And he always had the urge to take the lead, do the right thing, lead the group to safety. Mainly driven by a feeling that he can fix everything, while things are really so far over his head...

I'm not writing the series off :p I'd really love to watch it, and if it's any good I'll def buy it. Been a fan of the comic book for over a year now. There were many characters to keep track of. Personally it didn't bother me, but some people might lose interest if the series explores that many people.

I'll say it again, what makes "the walking dead" a good read is the fact that it's very daring and different.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I got ranked as an Alpha Male and it is so true :D

Caring for those who need help, but don't **** with me or your head is getting blown off.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I'm a seamstress???!!!

Oh that's just great, you guys come out as natural born leaders and I get the seamstress thing.

Somebody put me back in the coma...

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
It looks good enough to check out. I'm skeptical it will be good enough to bring me back to my television though.

I got natural born leader? ...yeah right.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I just watched the encore presentation last night.

Good god...

The filming is a delight. Miles beyond the vast majority of TV series'. The plot is actually interesting, the characters so far actually seem to matter... The show is grisly and real, it's one of those that makes you feel like you're standing right there with the people. Simply amazing.

If the first episode is the bar to measure this show by, I'll be hooked for as long as it runs.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Luckily I did find a streaming version. Being from Europe isn't always easy...

Standalone it's good. I mean, if you don't know anything about the comic background. Very gruesome at times (hospital scene), ok acting (the guy playing rick isn't doing well imho), and I wonder how they're going to change/mold the original story. I hope the pilot won't be the height of the series, though...
If it turns out to be good, I'll buy it. The walking dead has great potential.

Sure is interesting seeing all the plot changes and small nuances (and extra subplots) the series has. Some I can find nothing wrong with, others I wish they hadn't included.

Tbh, I'm not sure they got the right guy for Rick grimes. As of yet, I'm not really convinced. But yeah, it's just the start.
Morgan is pumped up. He's quite a bit different in the comic book. Well, at first though. He doesn't have that "badass" streak, or at least it's not shown. Seems that he's merely hiding with his son, and doing whatever is possible to avoid contact.

Some things have changed which might work better in a show, rather than the comic.
Morgan being unable to shoot his dead wife refers to Allen not able to "save" donna, I suppose. The hospital horror is up to par with the comic, because of the looming danger/darkness everywhere and when rick steps outside...
I'm sort of glad the door didn't cave in, because it adds more to the tension and sheer horror this way.

In the comic Rick is curious and foolish enough to open the door himself, but the zombies only react when he shows himself. Pretty intense how one charges him and they roll down the stairs...

Did like how they handled the Atlanta bit. Very creepy.

As for zombie slaying, it doesn't always have to be the sort of "in your face" violence. The power of suggestion (moving shadows, scary noises etc.) beats seeing a zombie's head blown off. Not all the time though :D

But yeah, the comic book is very graphic....

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Checked it out on Hulu. Very good stuff. Hulu right now, however, says they won't be streaming further episodes. I hope that this is a dirty, dirty lie.

~Jason

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
That was a great second episode.

I'm not sure how I should feel about the idiot they left on the roof. He seemed to be a good shot, but at the same time not a team player at all. They are probably better off without him.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Show rocks. Comic rocks. Darabont rocks. AMC rocks. Romero-esque zombies rock.