Stuff you just bought thread V2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Does this stuff go off ? I have a tube from years ago and it seems to have gone slightly gooey unless mistaken. Last time I did a cpu I could properly ease it across the surface with a plastic card.

Spoil? Not as such. They probably shouldn't be frozen though. At some point the materials will separate and you will get an oil and a more hard crumbly substance with the other chemicals. With regular bearing grease this occurs at around -80°F (If my memory is correct) but I haven't even the slightest clue what low temp would compromise thermal grease. Since it isn't intended for cold temps it is entirely possible that it wouldn't be very tolerant.

More likely though since some types of thermal past use chemicals that can easily evaporate over time (they are in fact solvents and designed to do just this) if you break their seal it is only a matter of time before whatever unused portion reaches optimum operating consistency due to evaporation.

Also I'd take this opportunity to note that you should be careful to not get any of the metal based compounds on any circuitry as the metal based are electrically conductive while conversely the non-metallic are insulative.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
41BzHN15BTL.jpg

2Q==

My daughter & her two cats would seriously go nuts over one of those (and prolly the dog for that matter, she's sometimes not quite sure what species she is with growing up two older cats) but we don't have the room for something that mahoosive. They have to settle for something a quarter the floor space & a third of the height of that.

Does this stuff go off ? I have a tube from years ago and it seems to have gone slightly gooey unless mistaken. Last time I did a cpu I could properly ease it across the surface with a plastic card.

AS5 is gloopy when new so I can't see it being an issue. AS3 was thinner, I'd heard that it could separate but I've never had that issue or heard of anyone that actually did, either.

Decided to pull the trigger on an Xbox One Assassin's Creed bundle (without the Kinect):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868105119

This, of course, will be used alongside with the new version of the X360 that I got last week. Wow, seems that I got one hell of a Christmas Bonus from work, so why not get both? :)

We get $50 (maybe) for christmas. i've been there 8 years now, and with my $50 bonus, I plan to buy alcohol to cope with working for a company that doesn't give bonuses to the people that keep it going.

actually picked up the RM850 PSU instead of the 750'd it version. had a gift card of some kind, so it only cost me like $40.

m7IR6ThMH5-MmkHaYNjKvEA.jpg

i7-5820K Haswell-E 6 core 3.3Ghz

crucial-ballistix-sport-ddr4-kit-2.png

16GB DDR-2400mhz ram stuff. for now. Will pick up another 16 so I can get quad-channel working.

mhD8Ifx6ctRRlHMB1apZuSw.jpg

ASUS X99-A ATX DDR4 3000 LGA Motherboard X99-A

35-181-060-TS

corsair H105 water cooler thingy

All fits nicely in a Corsair 400r case.
B0055Q7BR4_hero_down.jpg

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I have an old netbook that no longer can keep up with things, so I tried to get a new one with similliar features but more current hardware. That turned out to be essentially impossible unless you buy an expensive subnotebook, because everyone seems to have fallen into insanity mode when it comes to designing affordable laptops.

So I got this instead, which at least has the advantage of a full HD screen over the others:
medion%20akoya%20p2214t%201%281%29.png

Medion P2214T

Justin286

Smooth Criminal
Jul 26, 2001
Bk, Nyc
Because cold coffee should be banned from all existence:

Contigo Autoseal West Loop Stainless Steel Travel Mug with Easy Clean Lid

wlf100e01_westloop_16_black_birdseye.jpg

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Toshiba Canvio 2.5" USB3 500GB External HDD
to_canvioconnect3a1_black_300.png

As I'm getting back into computer repair I needed this drive for OS install images, install packages for things like Microsoft Office, and data transfers/backups.

I made a special 50GB partition at the beginning of the drive and used YUMI to load images for Ubuntu, Elementary, Clonezilla, System Rescue CD. It also has images for every edition of Windows, starting from XP and going to 8.1, in both x86 and x64. No matter what I need to install I can do it from this bootable partition. OS X install images are next; I just haven't figured out how yet.

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Toshiba Canvio 2.5" USB3 500GB External HDD
to_canvioconnect3a1_black_300.png

As I'm getting back into computer repair I needed this drive for OS install images, install packages for things like Microsoft Office, and data transfers/backups.

I made a special 50GB partition at the beginning of the drive and used YUMI to load images for Ubuntu, Elementary, Clonezilla, System Rescue CD. It also has images for every edition of Windows, starting from XP and going to 8.1, in both x86 and x64. No matter what I need to install I can do it from this bootable partition. OS X install images are next; I just haven't figured out how yet.

Have you considered something like this?
http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=750

It emulates a USB drive based on ISOs you copy onto the HDD.