Movements almost intact...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
The Movements aren't fully intact. There is an issue that those who dodge and jump around alot, especially when they duel, will notice. In u2xmp you can actually start a dodge before you hit the ground.

Example:

I perform a double jump, just before i hit the ground i press dodge left and when I hit the ground I press dodge left again. This will make my character dodge instantly when he hits the ground. In utxmp you can only start performing the dodge once you've hit the ground, it is a thing built in UT2004 that u2xmp didn't have, like the boost dodge.

This issue applies most to skilled techs who combinds movement and aim when duelling. It should also consern other classes since when players want to move fast foward they might want to do this:

Dodge, normal jump, dodge, normal jump, and so on.

But as I said this is ALOT harder in utxmp and takes more time. Please check it out yourself and see if you have noticed it. It is not that I want it so I can always dodge instantly after hitting the ground, it it more like a thing that makes dodging much easier in generall.

Creig

Back from the dead
Apr 17, 2003
Visit site
Yes I can comfirm this. There seems to be a delayed dodge reaction. This is does exist. It may be something that can not be changed do to the ut2k4 engine. I am not sure.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's not important.

The only reason you think it is is because it was that way in U2XMP. Play styles will conform to the game, not vice versa.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
everyone on the other side of the issue says it the same way :p

the fact is that a game should not cater to the people who play it just because they whine about it. For every one person that whines there's a hundred that don't give a crap. All the time people spend whining they could be giving constructive criticism or playing the game.

FurociousFa

Banned
Apr 1, 2004
MI
I think it may be apart of this, but often in the middle of fights people (enemy for instance) will float around the landscape shooting and stuff and jumping then back to floating.. the walking/running animation not being shown or?

Yukkoman

overCruel Ranger
Jul 11, 2004
Its important coz its a conversion, right, and the special everything with old u2xmp is the uniqe movement to start with that NO other game I know of has, including every single bit of special way to get around the map or to specific locations, either its wall dodgeing or bunny jumpin or flashjumping, it all has to do with skills from the player to even be able to be used, thats what makes the diff btw the skilled one from the n00b that just walk around like in quake like games there it feels like all you need is good aim.

Here in XMP you can still be good with a bad aim coz you might got a superb movement that really anoys the enemy you face that makes him miss his shoots on you giving you an advantage even that your aim aint the best.. just my 1cp..

And thx IndianP, for the confirmation that you guys read every thread.. =)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I would argue that it's not important for the same reason. The "superb" movement in U2XMP definitely wasn't something that kept new players around (especially over the past few months when everyone supposedly "mastered" the movement). Additionally, I would say the movement is around 95-98% accurate to U2XMP as it stands, and the only things I would say need fixing are some of the jump heghts and the jitteriness on some static meshes and hills.

Also, alot of things that have to do with the "skills" of the player (especially those that distinguish supposed "skilled" people from noobs) are considered EXPLOITS. I think that movement speeds were ridiculous in U2XMP considering that nature of each of the classes. For example, gunners were never meant to be arti carriers but in U2XMP recently that's practically the only people you ever saw carrying artis (tons of armor, and dodging speed let them move pretty much as fast as any other class).

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
I think that movement speeds were ridiculous in U2XMP considering that nature of each of the classes. For example, gunners were never meant to be arti carriers but in U2XMP recently that's practically the only people you ever saw carrying artis (tons of armor, and dodging speed let them move pretty much as fast as any other class).

I played defence for 12m, and i would guess 95% of the attacks were by rangers and sometimes techs. The only times I saw a gunner was when the other team was having a lot of problems getting past our defences. Even then the gunner would not be trying to get an arti, but just take down the turrets so the ranger could get in.

As far as speed, without using conc jumps even the fastest gunner has no hope of keeping up with a good ranger

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Brizz, please find some one that suports your thoughts. By reading these forums you seem very alone with thinking u2xmp is gay and ut2004 is yay.

Yukkoman

overCruel Ranger
Jul 11, 2004
lol @ sir brizz, we old gamers kinda liked u2xmp and its gameplay, and why do you think fmi even started the conversion, coz they liked u2xmp as well, why not make inputs of whats not like u2xmp if they now are tryin to do a total conversion, plz all your negative thoughts on u2xmp and it ways quite dont mix.. its ok that you dont agree with us, but hey we love xmp, and you aparently dont..

Im out..

_Dark_Rusty_

to protect & severe
iddQd said:
Brizz, please find some one that suports your thoughts. By reading these forums you seem very alone with thinking u2xmp is gay and ut2004 is yay.

instead of over simplyfying this to extremes and going for the old u2xmp vs ut2004 debate how about at least attempting to mount an intelligable arguement more towards the point of this topic? please d not make me waste time reading thoughtless posts such as this. The issue is not which is better nor which of the two you stand by.

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Its not like Brizz hasn't made his unique points before. I've already made my point and that is that dodging was generally easier to do in u2xmp since in the ut2004 engine there is a little fix against this that seperates the gameplay slightly. In the current build UTXMP uses UT2004ish dodging while it should be more U2XMPish, shouldn't it. I and many others think its important and Brizz think it's not cause he "hates" U2XMP.

EDIT: And lets make one thing clear, it's NOT an exploit damnit, and even if it is its now a part of U2XMPs unique gameplay. Boost jumping is also a bug, why did FMI bother to bring that one to UTXMP when Ut2004 engine prevents it when playing Ut2004? BECAUSE IT MADE U2XMPs UNIQUE GAMEPLAY which SHOULD STAY!

This thing with it beeing easier to dodge just didn't fit the UT2004 style of playing and therefore there is a fix preventing it in that engine while it DOES fit U2XMP. Why should this fix that is suposed to work for UT2004 apply for UTXMP when UTXMP tries to ressemble the gameplay of U2XMP?!

Last edited:

Keasis

frequent eembotter
May 28, 2004
In the basement
Sir_Brizz said:
I would argue that it's not important for the same reason. The "superb" movement in U2XMP definitely wasn't something that kept new players around (especially over the past few months when everyone supposedly "mastered" the movement). Additionally, I would say the movement is around 95-98% accurate to U2XMP as it stands, and the only things I would say need fixing are some of the jump heghts and the jitteriness on some static meshes and hills.

Also, alot of things that have to do with the "skills" of the player (especially those that distinguish supposed "skilled" people from noobs) are considered EXPLOITS. I think that movement speeds were ridiculous in U2XMP considering that nature of each of the classes. For example, gunners were never meant to be arti carriers but in U2XMP recently that's practically the only people you ever saw carrying artis (tons of armor, and dodging speed let them move pretty much as fast as any other class).

Hearing you talk, I sometimes wonder if you ever actually played u2xmp.

Keasis

frequent eembotter
May 28, 2004
In the basement
Oh and btw, I posted this in another thread, but it applies to this thread aswell.
It seems the movement is somewhat bugged, with animations getting stuck. I'll quote:

Keasis said:
There seems to be some kinda 'freeze' in the air which delays the landing. This is especially clear when using 3rd personview. You'll see that after a dodge, the animation freezes, and although you'll be able to move, the models stays in the last position. Only after you 'landed' (delayed) the animations start again, and you can dodge again.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.