UC Delayed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Q4 '02 Release for Unreal Championship?
23:16 GMT - hal

Gamespot, in reporting on the delay of Microsoft's X-box broadband network, dropped an unwelcome bomb on those of us waiting for the release of Unreal Championship:

....The full range of network services, complete with the release of complex online multiplayer games such as Unreal Championship, won't take place until late next year, perhaps even as late as the holiday season 2002, according to sources.

The status of Unreal Championship itself is also a bit clouded at this time. Sources close to Digital Extreme report that the game is currently going through a major overhaul. Although the graphics engine is very much in place, many of the game's levels are being redesigned and new maps are being implemented, because the team wasn't satisfied with several of the original designs. Naturally, the game's development schedule has expanded as a result....

J. Speed

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
Nov 21, 2001
USA
Visit site
I picked up some news a long time ago.summer 2001 about the broadband scheduled for 2002 for XBOX. I checked some sources and they stated the Dec 2002 online launch was for the Japanese market. Well I guess maybe they were wrong.

I believe this is absolutely a real possibility. I have seen this before- case in point Dark Sector: DE was providing information and all of a sudden stopped releasing info. about DS........

Frankly Im not too concerned because there are plenty of games coming out in 2002 to keep me sated. If they DE are revamping and redoing the maps and other things it will be all that better when its released.

This also may explain UT2.

Last edited:

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by J. Speed
This also may explain UT2.
My thoughts exactly.

If MS is delaying the launch of the multiplayer service and consequently the launch of UC for Xbox, then they really can't blame DE for porting the game to PC, to make some money out of a game that was finished on time.

Originally posted by NuclearMonkey
UC being delayed surprised you? What are you thinking? Rarely is an awesome game released on time!
Re-read the original post. It is not the game itself that is delayed. It's the Xbox multiplayer service that is late. And since UC is a multiplayer game, it doesn't make much sense to sell the game if no multiplayer service is available. Playing botmatches gets old quickly. DE have always said that they will have UC ready the day that the Xbox multiplayer is available.

J. Speed

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
Nov 21, 2001
USA
Visit site
Well.. yeah I know its not DE's fault because they were in full production and completing their milestones. I think DE needs a big break (something good needs to happen).. Dark Sector was delayed and I dont have all the details on that and now UC because of the multiplay not being ready.

If multiplay wont be here until the end of the year DE might as well port it ....do something to stay healthy. Halo is coming to the XBOX why not UC or something along those lines?
Guess its a waiting game. Dont hold your breath too long.

I also think its not official that multiplay will not be ready for the spring or summer. It may still be undecided.