UE3 - General Custom weapon&footsteps sound & a rather generic question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

felix

Mar 6, 2009
Howdy!

1.) As I am starting to learn using the Unreal Editor, I still have no idea how to implement your own weapon-, footsteps- and taunting-sounds etc.

I did a search on this forum - most of the questions regarding this weren't answered at all; there's just one single thread where somebody stated that you actually have to create your own "species" for doing that, as these sounds are hard-coded; so this would involve *lots* of coding + all infos on how about doing this seem to be spread all over the net.
Do you know if that is right, or is there another, easier way?
For example, can these sounds be found somewhere among the files in the Unreal directory, so that simply replacing them with custom sounds while keeping the names would do the job ?

2.) The reason why I am asking this:

I am starting to create a demo reel as a sound designer; I thought it might be a good idea to build my own map with custom sounds + grab a video with me playing.

Of course I could simply replace the sounds in the video itself instead of in the game - but I'd also like to demonstrate some abilities in implementing sounds into a game (as this seems to be more than 50% of the work you do as a sound designer these days).

Getting my head into a new software like the unreal editor and doing some scripting (kismet seems to offer lots of options as far as I got it) doesn't give me any headaches - but if implementation of s.th. basic like weapon sounds and footsteps really would require re-coding whole parts of the game, I propably should try using another engine/editor for my idea.

If that's the case - do you know any other engines with included editors that offer the option to customise *all* sounds without too much hassle ... :)

Regards

flx

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
Yes, footsteps are hardcoded, there is no easy way to play custom sound. All we can do is use physics materials with just few different sounds. And no answers because nobody really knows how to do it.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
An easy way to figure out would be to grep the exported script for one of the existing footstep soundgroups that already play. You'll be able to tighten the search as to what you'll have to replace code-wise to get custom footsteps.