Keeping XMP alive: Guerilla Tactics

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Demo_Boy

Incindiary
Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
OK so UT2K4 has gone gold.

Supposing you played ONS and you thought is sucked compared to XMP.

And you are upset about the lack of support XMP got from Atari telling players about it.

Well you can make a difference.

Post about how much XMP rocks in UT2K4 threads and link to the demo download.

You don't have to diss 2K4 to tell them how worthy XMP is.

It's hostile territory but these threads are a natural forum for telling prime candidates about what makes XMP good.

Good luck soldier, its up to us.

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?comments=30833

Sillow

Feb 27, 2004
We could always encourage people to pirate XMP as since the iso needed for play is only 315mb, one might find that to be a better alternative :D

Demo_Boy

Incindiary
Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Actually the pirate iso won't unlock the XMP retail package -- I think the installer checks for the copy protection as well as the U2 files.

Sillow

Feb 27, 2004
There's a dos crack for the patch installer, but eh... let's say I know this "friend" who has a complete 315mb iso that doesn't need any downloaded u2 cds.

Brainiacus

Feb 17, 2004
Demo_Boy said:
Actually the pirate iso won't unlock the XMP retail package -- I think the installer checks for the copy protection as well as the U2 files.
Not true. With LaserLok, SafeDisc and SecuRom emulation, the pirated ISO is accepted as a true U2 CD by the XMP installation. You would need to use Daemon Tools to accomplish this, however.

Also, the installation file can be readily cracked with a DOS-based crack, as listed above. The crack is present on some of the biggest legal crack sites, such as ************* and *********. Of course, you may only use this crack if you actually own U2. ;)

EDIT: Apparantly, one of the two sites I listed isn't allowed to be posted here, and respecting the forum rules I also manually filtered out the other site (which wasn't filtered automatically).

Alternatively, you can just use some firewall or other security application to simply block the CD check and resume the installation.

Finally, I wouldn't be amazed if you could just literally copy a full installation from one disc to another, or ZIP it up and upload it somewhere. Throughout history, the UT based games never needed any form of Windows registry, except maybe when trying to patch.

Last edited:

Spacelord (GER)

Apocalypse Dude
Feb 12, 2004
Germany
Great idea Demo Boy!
I will take care of the german Forums, as soon as they are online.
"A friend showed me a game last night, it`s called XMP. Everybody who likes UT2k4 will like it too. It`s really tactically - and great fun! And don`t forget, it`s hardly free! You only need a U2-CD , that are two games at the price of one!"
And then you need some comrades who will post: "Yeeaah! I know about it it`s a wonderful game!!!" :D

thebigguy

[{OSN}]bigguy
Dec 12, 2003
i've got a installer that asks for u2 but if u tell it to carry on installing it will LOL also its about 250mb but its to 5283 version though it asks for a serial aswell i wud be happy to sort soemthing out some time soon but i'm on a crap connection atm if /wen i get a faster conection i will happly put a ftp up to share it around jsut gotta w8 and see if can order broadband in next week or 2 and me only 17 ish so i cannot buy it me self

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
i hate to openly espouse warez like this, but there is a no-cd crack for the XMP download - the DOS app removes the CD requirement from the installer itself, so once the installer is cracked, it will forever and always install XMP without the need to ever even own the Unreal 2 game. I'm sure a motivated individual (armed with google) could easily locate such a DOS app (I for one, wouldn't know, of course, because I don't endorse piracy).

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
Neurothustra said:
i hate to openly espouse warez like this, but there is a no-cd crack for the XMP download - the DOS app removes the CD requirement from the installer itself, so once the installer is cracked, it will forever and always install XMP without the need to ever even own the Unreal 2 game. I'm sure a motivated individual (armed with google) could easily locate such a DOS app (I for one, wouldn't know, of course, because I don't endorse piracy).

i have the no-cd crack cause my disc got busted :notworthy: it was either that or pay for the game again,the bundle pack wasn't out yet and unreal 2 was still 45 bucks were i live,i normally buy my games but not twice.

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
i used the no-cd-patch to remove check becouse it didnt like my nero virtual drives being installed and well they take forever to re-install once removed(like 5-10 min each for me) i have orignal disks but well lets just say i cant fine them or my quake/unreal disks(had all my orignal game disks in a toat cant find it :( )

i will openly support people to use this method becouse well dosnt look like we gonna get support unless atari sees ALOT of people playing it soooo might as well get as menny players as we can :D

one thing we relly gotta get somebody to type up a good guide to each class and how to play them i would be as u can probbly tell i typing/grammer/spelling is crapppy

if somebody would do that and distrib it with the crack/cracked installer it would be helpfull for all the noobs and vets since menny start playing not knowing what dose what and how to use things like hack/heal/rep/re-sup and such it would be a good way to help ease people in from such un-complocated games as ut :)

and if u need the patch let me know :)

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
PF Prophet said:
i will openly support people to use this method becouse well dosnt look like we gonna get support unless atari sees ALOT of people playing it soooo might as well get as menny players as we can :D

Atari don't care how many play, but if loads of people buy the game that will get their attention.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
Uhm, guys.

Here is an idea, try not to be asshats :p. Would you enjoy it if a bunch of UT2k4 fanboys came in here and spamed that their game was good? I sure as hell know I wouldn't. So use common courtesy.

As for warezing, I think you should try and show some respect for Atari. Sure they screwed over Legend (right after they had redeemed themselves in my eyes), but that doesn't mean that you should try and cut down what little sales they can get out of Unreal 2.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Atari isn't purposefully killing off UT2004 in favour of XMP, it's the other way round ;) .

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
and that justifies this? No.
Face it, do you want a bunch of people to come in here and say UT2k4 is better? Because that is all you are inviting.

Tell me, do you go everywhere that a pop-up says you should? I sure as hell know I don't, and that is all you would be. Annoying pop-ups.

I was talking about UT2k4 Vs XMP with some people i play with, and I thought up a decent analogy. UT2k4 is like DOM. You don't necessarily need teamwork to have fun, but it sure as hell makes the game a lot more fun.
XMP is like CTF. You need teamwork to have fun.

In other words, they are different games. UT2k4 is more of a "pick up and play" game, XMP is more of a "Find a great server to play with" game.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
And what do you know, they are just annoyed by you :p

Seriously. All you are going to do is cause more hatred for XMP. Pop it in your sig or something, but don't go and spam their forums with it. Regardless of how much we love XMP, we have to admit that U2 was not a success. XMP is a great game, and as long as we continue to post IPs it will never truly die.

You ask yourself: Why is Atari killing XMP? Well, that is because both UT2k3 and U2 were nowhere near as successful as they would want. So they are going to cash in on the vehicle hype. Rather than try and pull a dying game (U2) out of the gutter, they are going to focus upon expanding on another game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.