Boycott Fileplanet

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Monoxide

Jul 31, 2000
www.angelfire.com
what is this 143 minute wait BULL****!!??!?!? I hope everyone in the INF community and the INF team will stand up with me and BOYCOTT FILEPLANET. Do they really expect us to pay to download free files?? I know there are other mirrors out there, and I know I would, and I'm sure the entire INF community would apreciate it if the INF team switched to a different mirror.

DONT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS!!!!!

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
No, use your own server! And when you do, tell me how to stay logged in and download at the same time, which seems to be something they think is possible, so they want you to do it to download anything on your personal server thing.

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
FilePlanet provides an essential service to us.. there is no place on the planet that would allow us to have that kind of download bandwidth for FREE.

Mike

Fenris

[-I-]Fenris
Aug 4, 1999
Hamburg,Germany
www.inforcers.org
I know what I pay for fast download bandwith.

If there wasn't something like FilePlanet there wouldn't be that widespread distribution of Infiltration.

Face it. There's no free lunch.

And yes, boycott them, please. Leaves more bandwidth for us :)

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
Yes, please boycott a free. That makes perfect sense to me. Especially since the point of a boycott was originally to hurt a company/person through their profit margin. It's all becoming clear to me. We should all boycott free services. Next time I get horribly mangled, I'm going to refuse a ride in the ambulance and just walk to the hospital myself. :rolleyes:

Right now is the busy season for games/demos. We have to deal with the reality that most of the big name games are going to be coming out around the Christmas season, and as a result a lot of downloads will be released in a short period of time.
That and there is a new CS patch out, which always burns a lot of bandwidth.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Can you continue downloads on a FP personal server?

(i.e. If my colostomy bag of an ISP drop the connection, can I use my download manager to continue d/ling the same file?)

You can't on normal servers, which is kind of useless.

Mr. HotDog

[Insert Text Here]
Apr 2, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Monoxide
what is this 143 minute wait BULL****!!??!?!?

HA! Thats nothing, I had to wait 549 min for the new Half-Life patch (I swear its true)!!! Well, I didn't feel like waiting (that would have been stupid of me) so after I was finished swearing at my monitor I downloaded it from a different site.

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
Could someone tell me how to stay logged in and download from my "own personal server" It says download from the vrrc's server, then says I'm not logged in and... err....

But, still, they DO allow us to do so much.

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Of course you can boycott a free service. FilePlanet makes money from ad space (hence the reason they can offer "free" space). If you boycott them, their monthly hit rate drops, and thus advertisers are less inclined to advertise with them: depriving them of money.

It's simply economics, and it's the same for nearly everything media related (much of the web, TV, radio, newspapers and magazines).

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
in the good old days... i used to be able to leech of of walnut creek cdrom.com at enormous speeds, and 3dfiles got me there... oh how times have changed... :(

Hilikus

Psychopsilocybin
Jun 2, 2001
sea foam green is in
Visit site
get kazaa (a napster clone) and download files. thats how i got the HL patch, CS 1.3, and wolfenstein. its still kinda obscure and realitively small community, but its faster than aimster.

DakotaGSI

Apr 2, 2001
www.gamespy.com
Yes, FilePlanet supports resume. All of the "xfer" servers will support resume with any download manager. The download link you get from the download queue is only valid for about a day, however, so you need to resume as soon as you can.

Originally posted by ggakahagasan
your complaining about 13/k per sec, i get 4 if i'm lucky then get disconnected because fileplanet doesn't support resuming.fileplanet sux!

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
But why boycott a free service?

Do they force you to use the service? No.
Have they caused you some great injustice? No.
Are they opening sweatshops and hiring child labor? No.
They require that MODs hosted on the gamespy network host their downloads on FP, but do they force exclusivity? No.

All they are is a free service. They offer a pay service which is better. But they don't force you to use it.