Speaking of 1v1s, any Euros want to play?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ve7

Rest In Peace
Dec 2, 2000
I seem to have trouble finding decent [attitude, not skill] players to play against so if you're a regular euro 1v1er and play on NGI etc then please ICQ me.

Cheers!

PS I prefer to play euro rules [WS SB vials ON, Amp invis nuke OFF, 10 frag limit], I've been playing a lot of US rules [WS SB invis nuke amp vials OFF, 20 min limit] recently in the US and it completely spoils the game for me sine it turns into a hiding and sneaking contest, and you can have a 5-4 score after 20 minutes of play :/. How boring is that?

Anyay, please do respond if you're looking for an easy challenge :)

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
well the us rules are more strategic then the other ones, the sneaking hiding, is very cool
gives ut another dimension imo
it sure beats the no braining running around and shooting at everything that moves

Ve7

Rest In Peace
Dec 2, 2000
Xenex, we can play 1 map 1 rule and swap man, it's just supposed to be fun and a learning experience :)

TTR, I disagree I find the euro rules far more strategic.

Theres a rythm to the game with euro rules.

You know where the current map controller is going to be every 55 seconds, and where he's going to get the armour and so you can plan an ambush. Also health vials reward staying alive, and if you've got 150/199 then your opponent is going to do his damn best to avoid you while you try to hunt him down for 49 seconds while he collects health vials himself - then you both break off and scramble for the sb.

That's my typical 1v1, fast paced and exciting and hardly devoid of strategy as you claim. Contrast this to a US rules game I had recently in Turbine. I was running all over the map looking for my opponent for two minutes, and when I finally encountered him he was crawling around near the rocket launcher.
o_O.gif
I cannot imagine a more boring way to play UT, I'd rather be fragging than crawling around. Now this is a guy I get on with well but his playing style just put me off completely playing him again, not because "I'm a wuss" or because "I suck" but because I found it immensely boring.

Also the 10 frag winning limit encourages encounters rather than the 20 minute limit which encourages frag once/ then hide.

The euro rules also encourage a healthy map knowledge, you use every item and its sound to your advantage. A huge part of my Turbine skills is lost if I cannot hear the vials near the lifts to pinpoint an opponent, imho that's what they were there for so it seems sillly to take them out.

And about WS, it may be a British sense of fair play vs US arrogance but I take no pleaure in mowing down someone armed only with an enforcer with my minigun yet if a player plays ws off skillfully this is exactly what happens. Needless to say I take no pleasure in being fragged in such a way either. With ws on you can at least let go a freshly respawned opponent (who appears righy in front of you) , give him 10 seconds and you know he's found a decent gun by then so it's game on again.

Please do debate though, I've been wanting to hash this out with someone for a while now :)

Kilham

Lost in RL
Oct 11, 2000
Scotland
clanrsu.com
I've played a few 1v1's on NGI, but usually without using the belt or vials. I prefer a 10 frag limit, as you say with time limits your opponent can try to protect a lead by hiding - and (in my case) it reduces the chance of an embarassing 0wnage score ;).