Why is nobody talking about Romney's Mormonism anymore?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Isn't this relevant information?

Penn Jillette said:
Mitt Romney is wearing crazy underwear. He's wearing magic underwear. He is. Under his pants, he is wearing magic underwear. Magic underwear. And he believes that a convicted con man got golden tablets that no one else could see, and sat with an angel to find out that the original Jews of the bible were living in North America.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Because any belief, when purposefully put into extreme terms meant to connote otherness becomes ridiculous? Because there is nothing that he has said or done which would insinuate that he is insane or unbalanced and as such, just because you think his religion is both of those things, there isn't anything to worry about?

Atheists like to get a stick up their ass about religion, but they turn around and have their own crazy beliefs that they would try to justify just as vehemently as any religious person. I mean, we get it, you don't like it and its history is plagued with inconsistencies, but why, honestly, does this matter? Have we made a big deal over Christians running for president?

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Because any belief, when purposefully put into extreme terms

Accurate terms, rather than polite ones.

Atheists like to get a stick up their ass about religion, but they turn around and have their own crazy beliefs that they would try to justify just as vehemently as any religious person.

Perhaps certain atheists do this, but I should hope not me personally, and therefore I don't see what this has to do with my questions.

Have we made a big deal over Christians running for president?

I have. Less with Obama, because I think he's lying and does not honestly believe any such nonsense. I do think Romney is wearing magic underwear though, and I think his inability to separate fact from fiction leaks into his policies.

Anyway, back on topic.

Last edited:

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
new_thread_cat.gif

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I'm an agnostic atheist, but does it even matter? As long as personal beliefs don't cloud public judgement and the dogma isn't included in policy, I really don't care. Romney doesn't seem to want to do this, and this is why his Mormonism isn't being talked about / critiqued by folks. Compared to people like Santorum.

Now, if Santorum was the presumptive nominee, the issue about his religion would be relevant. From all that he said, he would love to start the wheels turning to transform the United States into a Catholic theocracy.

As long as the President (or any elected or appointed public official for that matter) is willing to uphold the Constitutional doctrine of separation of church and state, I don't care about one's religion.

Last edited:

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
As long as personal beliefs don't cloud public judgement and the dogma isn't included in policy

I think it's kind of dense to say that this isn't occurring. I also think it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible, that a person with this degree of error in his assessment of the universe could exhibit good, presidential-quality judgment in all relevant areas.

I don't want a person who believes in creationism to decide important healthcare policies. I don't want a person who believes that women were created as a man's compliment to make important decisions regarding women. I definitely don't want a man who wears magic underwear to be in possession of the nuclear codes.

In a perfect world, the POTUS would be smarter than the people he leads. I'll settle for not evidently wrong about almost everything.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I think it's kind of dense to say that this isn't occurring. I also think it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible, that a person with this degree of error in his assessment of the universe could exhibit good, presidential-quality judgment in all relevant areas.

I don't want a person who believes in creationism to decide important healthcare policies. I don't want a person who believes that women were created as a man's compliment to make important decisions regarding women. I definitely don't want a man who wears magic underwear to be in possession of the nuclear codes.

In a perfect world, the POTUS would be smarter than the people he leads. I'll settle for not evidently wrong about almost everything.

This is pure ignorance. Essentially all leaders throughout history, from good ones to bad ones, have been religious.You're not religious, you disagree, we get it, but to insist that religious people cannot exhibit good judgment is just as stupid as the idiots that think that because you have brown skin you must be a terrorist. It is based in as much fact and demonstrates the same level of basic human understanding.

Some people have different beliefs than you do. Deal.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008

I don't think an intelligent person would even want to be president in the first place.

Apart from Obama. Obviously.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
but to insist that religious people cannot exhibit good judgment is just as stupid as

Wait just a second. Did I say that religious people couldn't exhibit good judgement? No, I did not. I have observed that previous leaders who had the poor judgement to evaluate ridiculous religions as true exhibited similar poor judgement in some other areas. Counter-wise, I have also noted that those who appear to be more secularly-minded appear to do fewer things that are stupid in that same way.

the idiots that think that because you have brown skin you must be a terrorist.

What? How is this even related?

It is based in as much fact

This is totally false. There is no comparison. I plainly observe poor judgement, namely the publicly admitted inability to identify fanciful non-realities. I go on to say that this inability is a weakness that will manifest itself in other areas -- sometimes core competencies of the POTUS.

Since we've gotten off topic again by means of strange and inapplicable analogy, I will reiterate that the color of his skin or whatever is not the disqualifying mark here, stupidity is. Romney's religious beliefs are just one example of that.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
LOL. This is so stupidly hilarious I can't believe it. dragonfliet making sense about religion? cryptofreak complaining about something nonsensical and utterly ridiculous playing his atheism trumpet? Ren trolling?

Maybe the world does end this year... Okay, one of these things is not like the other...