UTXMP and FPS?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
I have been working on a conversion map pack for utxmp and have just found something disturbing. anyone who has played Hall of Giants knows that it really sux for FPS. i wanted to try to find out why... i know about the zoning issues but it ran great in the origional UT. i opened and played the origional CTF and ONS versions ut2k4 with 8 bots and the low grav mutator, i got 25-30+ FPS and it would sometimes drop to 20 if up high looking across the whole level. so i thought to myself maby i screwed something up when i converted the level. so i opened up the origional CTF version and very carefully deleted the flags and the spawn points. after that i added 2 artifact nodes to the respective ends of the map with deploys and one energy in the middle, just to make it playable. then i did a full rebuild and saved the map in the utxmp folder. when i opened up utxmp and played the map with the exact same settings, low grav and 8 bots, including the exact same video settings for utxmp and ut2k4, i found that i did not get the same FPS. i got around 11-15 looking out over the level and only got decent fps when your not at the end of the map and more toward middle or looking to the side of the map. WTF? am i retarded? or is there something else going on here that i do not know about? if there is any thing i could do to change something let me know please. it just makes no sense to me why just adding the xmp items could drop the FPS so much... thanks

Last edited:

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
It could just be the map. You could try reoptimizing it yourself.

I really don't think its the XMP assets that are lagging the map, but your not the first person I've heard make this connection. What are your system specs?

What kind of FPS do you get without bots?

Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
My system specs are P4 2.8 gig 512 ram ATI9200 gpu...

i have also noticed that my vid settings seem to be screwed bacuse they always reset to odd settings. dont know what i did to mess it up. my ut2k4 opens in a window rather than full screen and now so does xmp. the setting at default are weird, and no matter what i change them to they will reset and it wil start with a resolution of zero. i may need to reinstall ut2k4 and utxmp. plus i may need a new vid card cuase i am getting erros...

Maethorn

Dec 15, 2004
Hall of Giants is very linear, and the problem lies in the fact that there is no occlusion taking place in the map. It is entirely possible that adding an Artifact node will do this.

Look at adding a Tiny bit of distance fog to the map, or try setting the Cull Distance of the artifact nodes so that they occlude. Rmode 1 in Instant Action is your friend ;)

PRG

XMP Beta Tester
Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
theomniproject said:
My system specs are P4 2.8 gig 512 ram ATI9200 gpu...

Hrmmm... Your ram and CPU are well within parameters. I've heard of the 9000/9100 mobility having problems with FPS in UTXMP but not UT2k4. I'd also be more suprised of the drop between XMP and ONS then the drop between CTF and XMP. The latter I'd think would be a given with most maps. Also, check the difference without bots. This actually puzzles me TBH. I'm running an Athlon 2500+ oc'ed to 3200+ with 512 ram. Our CPU and ram are probably not dissimilar to the majority of UTXMP users( or at least a significant minority.) If there is/was a sloppy coding problem, why doesn't a problem present itself for users with better GPU's? I'd think complaints would have surfaced already, if people with higher end GPU's had this problem. I get similar FPS in general between UTXMP and ONS with my 6600gt(and the 9700pro I had previously).

Perhaps it has something to do with a lack of low detail settings in XMP?
Do the low end 9xxx GPU's not support something in hardware that ONS and CTF maps don't use frequently but UTXMP does?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.