General Protection Error

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SU]Aaron

Ranger
Feb 8, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
Hi all,

One of the computers at home gets a "General Protection Error" when playing XMP (it happens on both U2XMP and UTXMP). The game exits and throws up the error.

It varies in time when it happens... I could be playing for half an hour before the game decides to stop and have a go at me.

The system in question has an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card, AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton) Processor, 512 MB GeIL RAM. I thought re-installing Windows XP Professional may help but to no avail as we finished the re-install last night and it still happens. The Gaphics card has the latest catalyst drivers, Windows is up-to-date etc...

Can any one help me?? After searching on the internet I have found no real help.

Any Suggestions people??

An image of the screenshot is here: http://www.aaronallport.co.uk/images/chriserror.jpg

Thanks in advance... [SU]Aaron

Towanda

Aug 9, 2000
www.boteam.net
cpu heat? i had a problem when all ut2k4 games stopped after a while and send me back to desktop, seems that was heatrelated but the cpu never reached above 58 centigrades. But after cleaning the cpu cooler it dont happen anymore ...

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Looks like you're overclocking; a 2600's stock speed is @1900Mhz, not 2308. Try backing down on that a bit.

[SU]Aaron

Ranger
Feb 8, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
Tried turning the clocks down on the CPU manually. The reason it was at 2.3GHz was because of the "auto" clock and FSB settings in the BIOS.

Turned em down so it runs at 1.9GHz (like it is supposed to be) with a 166MHz FSB.

So Far So Good...

[SU]Aaron

[SU]Aaron

Ranger
Feb 8, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
My ATI 9600 crashes with XMP/UT/UTXMP almost constantly, but no protection faults the damn thing just shuts off. nVidia next time around.

Two machines in my house use 9600 Cards. Onw is a pro the other an XT. Both are fine.

What are your other system specs??

[SU]Aaron

Creig

Back from the dead
Apr 17, 2003
Visit site
Yeah it was the o/c Aaron. I had a similar issue on my older system (Athlon 2400+(o/c 2.6 Ghz). I use to try to get it to high. When I knew that with my volcano 11 I could only get stable at 2.3Ghz. It was to do with my cooling system. Your system should be safe at stock. You can try 2.1Ghz or 2.2Ghz to see if they are stable.

[SU]Aaron

Ranger
Feb 8, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
I have left it at stock speed and the error has gone. The temp dropped by nearly 20 degrees when I monitored CPU temp before and after!

We tried puching it a little, but even at 2GHz it would throw the error up (although at an average of once every two hours). Leaving it at stock speed seems the logical option.

[SU]Aaron

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
20 degree drop!?! What was it like before? You may be able to ramp things back up a bit with better cooling. Myself, I'm only running my Barton 2500 12x167=2004 (yes, my bios says 167Mhz) I was running 12.5x167 until a bios update in Aug, which cost me 1/2 multi :(
I haven't tried messing with the fsb much because I only have pc2700 memory, and I'm a bit afraid to up the voltage. Without touching the voltage, I could get to 170, stable at 11.5x170=1955. Not really worth the extra heat (but still below 55c)

Status
Not open for further replies.