2.9 bonus pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
I think I already know the answer to this but since the g36k is released does that mean the G36c is no longer planned for UT-INF? I'm in love with that gun and wanted to know if it's still possible we can have it in game?

I've been trying to figure out what the pros and cons would be of having 2 G36 variants in game would be and whether that would affect balance. From what I come up with there's no REAL reason other than aesthetics.

PROS: Lighter bulk, Iron sites (subjective), smaller collision, looks pure-sex, addition of a 5.56 smg sized weapon which are rare in INF

CONS: Less accurate, real life reasons for having a carbine are hard to replicate in INF, Bloated armory with redundant weapons, from what I can think it would be crappier vesion of it's bigger brother.

Please can soemone prove me wrong? :D

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
sublime said:
What site did you pull those muzzle velocities off kw? There's a 20cm different in barrel length between the two weapons you know, so I doubt the muzzle velocity is the exact same. Give a reference please.
These are the only sources I could find with a quick search, if you have any better ones please post them.

G3A3
http://soldner.jowood.com/index.php?WeaponID=5797&lang=en&SWS_info=1&RubrikIdentifier=812
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/FRG.HTM

PSG1 muzzle vel:
http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/23-10/Appa.htm

sublime

Cynic
Aug 1, 2000
Texas
www.caffeine-addict.org
[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
I could bring up the "Desert Eagle" trump card (or even the .40S&W chambered MP5) on issues of "milispec"......

...but I won't.
Yet you did anyway. Neat. As it's been discussed here 6.022x10^23 times already, those weapons have been in for a very long time. Since then, a concentrated effort has been made to keep things milspec. The weapons have simply not been dropped. Much like this issue hasn't been dropped. I guess that makes it all even?

sublime

Cynic
Aug 1, 2000
Texas
www.caffeine-addict.org
keihaswarrior said:
These are the only sources I could find with a quick search, if you have any better ones please post them.

G3A3
http://soldner.jowood.com/index.php?WeaponID=5797&lang=en&SWS_info=1&RubrikIdentifier=812
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/FRG.HTM

PSG1 muzzle vel:
http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/23-10/Appa.htm

I've seen everything from 800-900 fps for the PSG and some fairly widely varying numbers for the G3A3 as well. It seems like most pages just copy/paste from each other, giving the same block of info with no sources to back them up. They might have even originated from some CS fanboi site. I haven't looked into it too deeply myself yet, but I think the difference in barrel lengths alone should make for at least 30-40 m/s difference using standard tables for that sort of thing. 20cm is pretty significant for that sort of thing. I'll see what else I can find out later on.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Ok, but I would assume there is a point at which adding length to the barrel would not yield a greater muzzle velocity. Maybe the G3 has already reached this point, and the psg1's longer barrel is simply to improve accuracy?... lemme know what you find. It is hard to get an internet reference who's credibitily isn't questionable.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
keihaswarrior said:
Ok, but I would assume there is a point at which adding length to the barrel would not yield a greater muzzle velocity. Maybe the G3 has already reached this point, and the psg1's longer barrel is simply to improve accuracy?... lemme know what you find. It is hard to get an internet reference who's credibitily isn't questionable.
Why would a barrel increase accuracy if it is no longer increasing the muzzle velocity? That would signal to me that the barrel was long enough to retard the bullet's acceleration, something that doesn't sound too good to me for accuracy.

If you use pure muzzle energy(which, if you remember from physics, is a square relationship to velocity) and accept that the psg does exactly 100 damage, you can easily come out with a 10% change with a difference of 50m/s...

800m/s^2 / 850m/s^2 = 256/289 = .885813

Not nessesarily what everyone wants but it's not unreasonable, it's more a fault of our damage system than anything, and it's too late to change that now.
There are worse things that could happen.

Last edited:

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Yet you did anyway. Neat.

Yeah Sublime, boy...I started such a debate there.....

Whoa, 20 pages of debate....look out.

If the bonus pack is going to take a while, could you guys perhaps record some movies in the next few weeks, showing the guns in action (if it isn't too much trouble)?

Also, could you list what attachments each gun has?

Or, could all the birthday boys and girls get a chance to play with them on the test server for their birthdays?

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
yurch said:
Why would a barrel increase accuracy if it is no longer increasing the muzzle velocity? That would signal to me that the barrel was long enough to retard the bullet's acceleration, something that doesn't sound too good to me for accuracy.

If you use pure muzzle energy(which, if you remember from physics, is a square relationship to velocity) and accept that the psg does exactly 100 damage, you can easily come out with a 10% change with a difference of 50m/s...

800m/s^2 / 850m/s^2 = 256/289 = .885813

Not nessesarily what everyone wants but it's not unreasonable, it's more a fault of our damage system than anything, and it's too late to change that now.
There are worse things that could happen.
First of all, where did you get the 850 m/s number? If you'd post the link, that would be great.

Secondly, the PSG1 does 150 damage, which of course doesn't matter.... unless you are subtrating 10% from it -- which would leave you with 135.

sublime

Cynic
Aug 1, 2000
Texas
www.caffeine-addict.org
keihaswarrior said:
Secondly, the PSG1 does 150 damage...
Actually, it does do 100 damage, if you want to get technical, at least within the code. However it's multiplied by 1.5 (as is the damage done by all projectiles) because Inf runs in Hardcore UT mode. ;)

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
*raises hand*
umm i had a different question
will the map pack and the weapon mutator be available as seperate downloads? and about how large of a file size are we looking at?

Personally i'd like to be able to download them seperately. The map pack is probalby a great deal larger than the weapon pack, so it'd be nice for me (and other dial-up peeps) to be able to grab the weapons quickly and mess around with them while the maps are downloaded.

Just my 2 cents.

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
Right now, the weapons mutator weighs in around 4 megs zipped. The maps weigh in a little over 35 megs zipped. However, the other "official" mutators are going to be included as well, so this isn't the final size. We haven't discussed it as far as I know, but I'd assume there will be different download options available at release time.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
The whole thing, maps and weapons, is about 40 mb. Not what you'd call a huge download, compared to the 2.9 full install, which were close to 3/4 of a ton of megabytes :)

Edit : Insta ere'ed

Last edited by a moderator:

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
well the 2.9 full install with map packs wasn't even a possiblity for dial-uper's like myself who can (if lucky) average about 1 meg every 3.5 mins. So there's a world of difference between downloading a weapon pack for 15 mins and playing for 2 hours while the maps download in the backround, versus sitting around with a thumb up your can for 2 hours and 15 mins.

It's like going to a resturant and ording an apetizer and a big meal. Would you prefer getting the apetizer first and then waiting a for the meal, or you would you like to sit around for a long while and then have them both delievered at the same time?

meeba

lurking drop bear
Nov 28, 2000
uk
at the end of the day you'll still get it regardless so i dont see the big issue, although i do agree with splitting it up

of course the slight problem with your analogy is that you generally have to pay for your appitiser and main course :lol:

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
DEFkon said:
It's like going to a resturant and ording an apetizer and a big meal. Would you prefer getting the apetizer first and then waiting a for the meal, or you would you like to sit around for a long while and then have them both delievered at the same time?

Point taken :)

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
erehwoN said:
However, the other "official" mutators are going to be included as well

Are those "official" mutators a collection of the existing ones already released by Sentry Studio team members after INF 2.9 release , or will there be some new ones ?